1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Document: MEDICALLY UNEXPLAINED SYMPTOMS (MUS) IN CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE, 2018

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Adam pwme

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    MEMarge, Sean, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  3. Adam pwme

4. Adam pwme

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another author replied on twitter and I had some back-and-forth with him. Not especially open to hear anything contradictory, but he seemed genuinely oblivious to how this stuff is used in real life. Which is entirely possible, it's an area of medicine essentially devoid of genuine information where they never have accurate feedback about what they do. Being able to interpret favorably everything they do, invent their own version of reality, has completely warped their perception of reality.

Doesn't make it any better, though. But I have little doubt that not a single person involved in this is even close to understanding how this works in real life, what are the consequences of what they advised. They have as distorted a perception of what they do as any other pseudoscientist out there, the only difference is that they are showered with praise and love by the multi-trillion healthcare industry, so it's kind of normal that they think they're doing great here, they never hear otherwise, never have to face the dystopian nightmares they unleashed.

Not that I expect any learning here, but the ignorance is blatant. It's a complete surprise to them, each and every failed patient is a complete surprise to them because it's simply not something they ever had to imagine or face.

Mithriel, MEMarge, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

https://twitter.com/user/status/1511983257855930374

Call me crazy, but have doctors considered not pretending they have an answer when they don't, and to stop dishing out psycho-drama morality-play crap as a substitute, and just making things a whole lot worse?

Find a little humility. And a whole lot more than that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    SNT Gatchaman, FMMM1, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Katie McDonnell has on her twitter handle:

Working class, clinical psychologist. Pro social equality and justice. Views are all mine!
    I think we would like to see less play-acting and a little less self-righteousness.

Mithriel, Sean, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Adam pwme like this.