1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Disability benefits (UC, ESA and PIP) - news and updates 2023 (including government plans to scrap the work capability assessment)

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Shadrach Loom, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have the indefinite 10 year 1ight touch PIP award? I do and I think that's why I've not been getting the ESA award reviewed. They may have been doing the same with me regards changing review dates, I've just never asked. So I've on1y ever had one face to face ESA assessment, that was when I first app1ied. I got awarded 30 points at the time but put in the WRAG, I didn't have my ASD and ADHD NHS diagnosis at that point in time, was expecting to have a major op (which in the end I didn't go through with) and didn't have that much medica1 evidence apart from my ME history (I actua11y have a 1ot of other medica1 prob1ems/conditions). So I didn't get the 15 points for mobi1ity, just 1esser points spread across other criteria. She said I cou1d mobi1ise 100 metres as I wa1ked the 10 metres from the waiting area to her room!

At that time the WRAG money was on1y £5 a week 1ess than the support group so I didn't cha11enge the resu1t. She gave me a 2 year review date.

I then app1ied for Disabi1ity 1iving a11owance, they gave me zero points for both care and mobi1ity without seeing me face to face. My GP agreed I shou1d have been entit1ed to it but I was too i11 to appea1. So I app1ied for PIP 2 years 1ater by which time I had a Rethink support worker who came with me to the assessment centre. I sti11 had a me1tdown during it.

I got the enhanced PIP award for both mobi1ity and care but on1y for 2 years. They'd been sitting on my comp1eted ESA50 for my 2 year review for 8 months at that point but a few weeks 1ater wrote to me to say they'd put me in the support group. This was without a face to face so I assume they had 1ooked at my PIP award and points and decided that I'd actua11y meet the support group criteria. I didn't ask for a copy of the ESA report so I sti11 don't know. At some point I need to do a fu11 subject access request to see everything they have on me.

On the PIP review I had a home assessment with support from an advocate and my Rethink support worker (who I no 1onger have). I then got the indefinite award with the 10 year 1ight touch review date. I've never had another ESA review since then (2013).

2. Simbindi

Yes. I see this in the Benefits and Work comments. So many peop1e now seeing the on1y way out wi11 be suicide if the Conservatives go through with a11 these changes. It's so sickening.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    Lou B Lou, Kitty, Sean and 6 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And very deliberate.

They know exactly what they are doing, and how nasty and cruel it is. That is the point.

Expect a flood of crocodile tears at the suffering and deaths that will result.

Wits_End, alktipping, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't, but I've been on ESA for almost 10 years and haven't been reviewed. It doesn't necessarily make life any more comfortable; I've spent the entire time expecting a letter demanding I go through a WCA, as they haven't done one yet.

My PIP award's under review at the moment (form returned in September, outcome not expected till next summer), so there's still plenty of time for it all to go pear shaped before I hit retirement age in 2025. :rolleyes:

alktipping, MEMarge, Trish and 3 others like this.
  5. Simbindi

I wonder if that's because they have been ab1e to see you PIP awards over the years though? It does seem random to an extent. I don't know if they've been doing 1ight touch paper reviews on me, apparant1y these can be done before they trigger the ESA50 form. I think the DWP decision maker can see a11 other awards to make this decision.

6. Simbindi

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ugh.. i feel for you.

Hoping & praying it goes well for you.

Should you want to you can ring them to find out when the next schedued review is due - as i shared in my post earlier, it doesnt mean they will def do it then, but it helped me to know when it wasnt due/planned at least

alktipping, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. JemPD

Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. JemPD

They can - i asked on the B&W forum a while back (moderated by people who know) and they confirmed they can see the other awards and have access to the assessment reports.

10. Kitty

Thank you.

First one went okay; the assessment was gruelling and far too long, but I got a higher award than I'd realistically expected. There's more hanging on this one, though, as I'll be less than a year from state retirement age by the time I know the outcome. You can't claim PIP after that, so even if I were in a bad way, I daren't let the claim lapse and make a fresh one later. I'd have to go through the whole appeal palaver straight away. :confused:

Indeed, but after nearly 10 years of quiet, I don't want to poke the bear! I've no idea whether they can see the full claim history on the screen when you call up, but it's possible they can't. I'm not volunteering to remind them I've never had a WCA... :laugh:

alktipping, JemPD, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  11. Kitty

I was only on DLA mobility for the first few years of the claim, but as Jem says, they probably would have been able to see that.

In some ways it's odd that they put me in the support group just on those grounds, as I'd worked full-time for 12 years while receiving DLA mobility. I had to stop working after a big ME relapse, but at the time I claimed ESA I hadn't been awarded anything that recognised I'd become much more disabled.

Who knows, really! It seems very arbitrary at times.

Lou B Lou, alktipping, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  12. Kitty

An article from Benefits & Work today:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/n...reassessing-support-group-and-lcwra-claimants

MEMarge, JellyBabyKid, Sean and 6 others like this.
  13. JemPD

Thanks @Kitty

Also from that news article

my bolding

MEMarge, JellyBabyKid, Sean and 5 others like this.
  14. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So.....as a person in the support group, on UC, who in the normal course of events is due for reassessment (my first assessment whilst on UC, my SG status having been awarded whilst on ESA and migrated to UC when I moved and was forced to claim UC) in August 2023, would it now be reasonable for me to proceed as if I will not be assessed until 2025?

At which point I am very likely to get &^%#@ and lose approximately £400pm?

Over half my 'award' not including housing, and below the minimum needed to survive, assuming my bills don't drop considerably - something that seems 'unlikely'.

Thus giving me a minimum of an extra 16 months before things get unsustainably 'iffy'.

alktipping, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Given that there may be a change of government before that, I would not make any assumptions about what happens in 2025

16. Kitty

There's also the fact that, even if these changes go ahead, the substantial risk category appears to be retained. And if it is, benefits advisors will be able to work out how claimants can engage it.

Bizarrely, though, it mainly applies to people with physical illnesses and disabilities. It may be much more limited for mental illnesses, and they appear in particular to be trying to exclude most people with anxiety and depression.

Sean, alktipping, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  17. Kitty

More news from Benefits & Work on the surveillance plans being put to Parliament:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/n...ounts-to-be-put-under-continuous-surveillance

Sean, Simbindi, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  18. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disability News Service

Devastating’ dossier shows DWP is in ‘state of crisis’

"The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is a failing organisation in a “state of crisis” and faces a “near collapse” of its benefits systems, according to a “devastating” dossier of evidence from its own staff.

The Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) this week accused DWP of “deliberate neglect”, after its members said they believed benefit claimants in vulnerable situations were “falling through the gaps” in the system.

The union’s dossier details multiple concerns about universal credit (UC), with one manager describing staff facing “completely overwhelming” workloads."

More at: https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/devastating-dossier-shows-dwp-is-in-state-of-crisis/

19. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Official Statistics
    Universal Credit Work Capability Assessment, April 2019 to September 2023
    Published 14 December 2023

This is a quarterly release of Official Statistics on the number of people on UC with a health condition or disability restricting their ability to work, the number of WCA decisions made for UC, and the outcomes of these WCAs.

The next release will be on 14 March 2024.

This release covers:

• the number of people on UC health from April 2019 to September 2023 – by stage of process and personal characteristics such as age and gender
    • more granular information by region and local authority
    • proportions of Universal Credit claimants on UC health
    • monthly WCA decisions and outcomes from April 2019 to August 2023
    Universal Credit has replaced income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for new claimants. The legacy ESA scheme closed to new claimants in January 2021. New Style ESA is a contributory benefit open to eligible claimants.

In some circumstances, Universal Credit can be claimed alongside New Style ESA. When both benefits are claimed together, Work Capability Assessments are led through the UC claim and outcomes then applied to both benefits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ility-assessment-april-2019-to-september-2023

Trish, Lou B Lou, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  20. BazzaBoyle

BazzaBoyle Established Member

Wits_End, Lou B Lou, Fizzlou and 7 others like this.