1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK All Party Parliamentary Group being reactivated - 2020

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by NelliePledge, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I assume you mean Chris Ponting. I doubt there is any point the APPG lobbying funding bodies like the MRC to support particular research projects - the MRC has to go through its professional application and review process, not be directed by politicians, I think.

2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From what I’ve seen in other areas they can do inquiries and the autism one was pretty important in getting a national strategy for autism set up. Eg carol mongahon is on terminal illness appg who have publishedhttps://www.mariecurie.org.uk/policy/appg-for-terminal-illness

Inquiry into legal definition of terminal illness
    The APPG for Terminal Illness has written a report following its inquiry on the impact of the legal definition of terminal illness on access to benefits for people living with terminal conditions.

Published in July 2019, the report contains the findings from this inquiry and gives recommendations to policy makers on ways to improve the legal definition and guidance to healthcare professionals.

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-with-us/our-work-in-government
    All-Party Parliamentary Group for Multiple Sclerosis (Westminster)

We work with a cross-party group of Parliamentarians who are committed to tackling issues that affect people with MS: the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Multiple Sclerosis (APPG). The group is made up of MPs and peers from all parties who help to make sure MS issues are high on the government’s agenda.

Simon Hoare, MP for North Dorset, is Chair of the Group and has a keen interest in the welfare and healthcare issues affecting people with MS. Lord Dubs, Lord Monks, Chris Law MP and Karen Lee MP are all Vice–Chairs of the Group.

The focus for the APPG for MS most recently has been to campaign to ensure access to ocrelizumab - the first treatment for early primary progressive MS. We'll be supporting the Group to re-form after the 2019 General Election.
    The MS society

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reasonable, i.e. as you highlight the MRC is an independent decision maker; therefore, the APPG cannot influence it directly. However, could the APPG lobby the Government to fund biomedical research e.g. by highlighting that GWAS studies have been useful in other diseases i.e. where a hypothesis driven approach has failed (one example is Alzheimer's)?

I'm a bit concerned that this APPG, like the previous one, in effect becomes a vehicle to complain - without any meaningful progress in terms of biomedical research, or healthcare (the last APPG gave us graded exercise therapy), or social security support.

This (new APPG) looks like it may be a useful vehicle; however, we need to be a careful --- forming groups is one thing, making progress re biomedical research and how people with ME are treated is another!

Is the APPG a potential route to challenging the position of people regarding access to social security benefits?

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Discussion of the activities of the new APPG on this thread https://www.s4me.info/threads/uk-all-party-parliamentary-group-appg-2020-news.16996/

https://www.meaction.net/2020/02/19/next-steps-for-the-appg-on-me-in-the-uk/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2020