1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK All Party Parliamentary Group being reactivated - 2020

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by NelliePledge, Jan 9, 2020.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2020
    Joh, JaneL, MSEsperanza and 15 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Forestvon, Kitty, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mmmm.

I wonder whether the Countess of Mar might be considering folding Forward-ME, for which Carol Monaghan MP is currently Vice Chairman?

From August 2017:

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...l-now-be-via-forward-me-group-22-august-2017/

The APPG on M.E. comes to an end. Focus of lobbying will now be via Forward-ME Group | 22 August 2017

Following this year’s general election, none of the parliamentarians (with the exception of the Countess of Mar (pictured)), wanted to stand for re-election of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for M.E., and given the considerable challenges that it presents, neither the ME Association nor Action for M.E. are able to commit further time and resources to providing the joint Secretariat.

These issues have been discussed at the most recent meeting of Forward-M.E. – and in conversations before and after – where it was decided that our collective time and resources could be better spent on engaging with MPs and peers individually, and also as a collaborative voice through Forward-ME.

Forward-ME Statement:

All Party Parliamentary Group on M.E. update and next steps

(...)

Following discussion between elected officers, the joint Secretariat, and M.E. charity partners, the All Party Parliamentary Group on M.E. (APPG) will not be re-registered at this time.

The reasons for this are set out below, along with how we plan to continue moving M.E. up the political agenda.

The Countess of Mar, former Co-Chair of the APPG, says,

“It is extremely challenging to ensure that MPs and peers reliably commit to attending APPG meetings. Despite the best efforts of the Secretariat and charity partners, there has simply not been the momentum needed to drive the changes we want to achieve.

“I believe we can exert more influence by inviting parliamentarians to attend Forward M.E. meetings, where we focus on specific and urgent issues such as the NICE guideline and provision of NHS services. In addition, I have asked to join the well-established APPG on Disability, and will strive to ensure that it considers the needs of people with M.E., including the severely affected, in its work.”

(...)​

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Kitty and DokaGirl like this.
  4. Dx Revision Watch

And I wonder whether a newly convened APPG on ME will be constituted (as it used to be until the Countess of Mar and other office holders changed its constitution) as a group that holds meetings to which non office holders and non parliamentarians are permitted to attend and to raise questions from the floor?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Gecko, alktipping, Nellie and 4 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Unlikely, I would have thought, as Forward-ME are part of the PPI Steering Group for the GWAS project.

FMMM1, Sarah94, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  6. Dx Revision Watch

7. NelliePledge

A new parliament seems as good a time as any to give it a go. I’m in a completely different city now. I have no idea about my MP here I guess I need to start finding out.

8. NelliePledge

With the NICE review on the horizon it’s worth giving it a try again. Also the GWAS will be something MPs can get behind as well. Presumably Carol M has sounded out colleagues before taking this step and found enough potential support to make it worthwhile.

9. NelliePledge

Anyone looking at the ME Association web page will see they’ve added an example of an email. Unfortunately it gives the date of the meeting as 12 January not 14th.

10. Dx Revision Watch

In order for a new group to qualify for inclusion on the APPG Register, it will require at least 20 qualifying members and at least four officers:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmstnprv/357/35705.htm

"...at least 20 Members (each of whom must be a Member of the House of Commons or House of Lords), comprising: at least 10 Members who are from the same political party or parties as the government, and at least 10 who are not from the government party or parties (of whom at least 6 must be from the main opposition party)."

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/pcfs/all-party-groups/guide-to-the-rules-on-appgs.pdf

"Officers must be elected as follows:

a. The group must have at least four officers;

b. Each of the group’s officers must be either an MP or Peer and must be elected at a General Meeting of the group (see paragraph 20(c) to (f));

c. At least two of the group’s officers (including the Chair, who must also be the group’s Registered Contact), must be MPs;

d. At least one officer must be from the government party or parties and at least one from the main opposition party;

e. Groups may appoint Peers to any position (including co-chair) - except for that of Chair and Registered Contact."

Nellie, Kitty, DokaGirl and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dx Revision Watch

This has been raised with the MEA by @RobertHMcMullen on Twitter but MEA has not yet responded:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1215280150956429312

Kitty, DokaGirl and MEMarge like this.
  12. NelliePledge

13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given the dearth of Conservative MPs in Scotland , there's a limit to my lobbying capabilities. I will contact my MP ( SNP) who is sympathetic.

Sarah94, Kitty, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  14. Dx Revision Watch

Dr Shepherd has confirmed on the ME Association's Facebook page:

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/meassociation/posts/2739889062735401?comment_id=2739978129393161&reply_comment_id=2740220112702296
    Charles Shepherd Yes - correct date is Tuesday 14 January
    CS

ladycatlover, Kitty, ringding and 2 others like this.
  15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do wish they would give us more than 5days notice, 2 of which are weekend days. I know that rooms for such meetings cant always be booked a long time in advance, but somebody must have known before today that a reformof the APPG was on the cards? If they'd let us know earlier I could have had the email done & waiting to go with just the date to fill in.

Thrilled it's reforming thouggh God bless Carol Monaghan

16. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that it's not much notice. I've been pleasantly surprised with the mobilisation on the local group though. There must have been almost a dozen MPs contacted yesterday.

17. NelliePledge

Presumably. Did you find anything that mentions whether members of the government can take part in APPGs @Sly Saint i couldn’t see anything in the document. But there could be a convention like there is on front benchers not signing Early Day Motions.

Esther12 and Andy like this.
  18. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was my bad :) Too many plates in the air this week! We just heard from Carol Monaghan's office that the full details of the meeting are:

Tuesday 14th January, at 1.00pm in Room Q, Portcullis House.

I have updated the MEA Blog and MEA Facebook posting as well as my email 'template'.

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...ase-invite-your-mp-to-attend-09-january-2020/

P.S. I don't think from memory that if you are in the cabinet you can be involved with an APPG, but I think it's still worth sending an invitation if your MP happens to be said cabinet (or shadow cabinet) member. It shows them that M.E. is an issue of concern to you as a constituent.

Russell

Hutan, JaneL, MSEsperanza and 11 others like this.
  19. Dx Revision Watch

20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)