1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tues 20 Feb | UK parliamentary debate: PACE trial and its effect on people with ME - Carol Monaghan, MP

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"[PACE] will go down as one of the biggest medical scandals of the 21st Century." - Carol Monaghan

Cohen, Alvin, MEMarge and 29 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Scandal' is a very good word. It's a word that people tend to tune into, and headline writers like.

MEMarge, Dolphin, Milo and 12 others like this.
  3. guest001

guest001 Guest

Monaghan is excellent.

4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She's bloody briliant

MEMarge, RuthT, Willow and 14 others like this.
  5. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the other lady was very good at wooly talking to fill time

MEMarge, Maggie, Barry and 7 others like this.
  6. guest001

guest001 Guest

She is. I was being ladylike..which isn't quite how I responded in real life! I won't type what I did say but by heck she is a diamond. Imo the Government rep was filibustering, trying to tone down the very palpable anger amongst many of the MPs in attendance.

7. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just caught the end but seemed to be quite reasonable. They seemed to gloss over COI but I think the door may be ajar for some evidence to be presented?

MEMarge, Esperanza, Jan and 8 others like this.
  8. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried to tweet some stuff from the debate. All told though I thought Carol Monaghan was totally amazing! She didn't "miss and hit the wall" as the saying goes. Right to the point from the very beginning.

Thanks also to my MP Jim Shannon for attending and asking a question early on about CBT & GET.

Onwards and upwards! (I hope :thumbup: )

MEMarge, ukxmrv, MarcNotMark and 23 others like this.
  9. guest001

guest001 Guest

Absolutely... there was no confusion over how fraudulent the PACE Trial actually is.

MEMarge, MarcNotMark, Willow and 18 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Personally I thought it perhaps went as well as it could possibly go. From my naturally biased viewpoint, Carol seemed very compelling and got lots of what we might consider key points across, four or five other MPs spoke up telling supportive stories that their constituents had told them, and there was a call by another MP for a longer fuller debate in the House of Commons. I'll remain cautious in my optimism but it looked like there was some momentum building.

MarcNotMark, Maggie, sea and 22 others like this.
  11. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nicky Morgan - made a point about shortness of debate and need for wider debate in HoC - something to push for

MEMarge, ukxmrv, MarcNotMark and 19 others like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this could shift PACE into the political arena and thereby reported by political journalists, the SMC's stranglehold on science media reporting might become much less significant. (I almost missed a typo, where I missed the 'f' in shift ... was almost tempted to leave it ;) ).

13. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a recording of the debate anywhere? Very disappointed to miss it but my worsening sleep schedule put me to sleep at 10 to 7 this morning, and it was over when I woke.
    Your reports sound good......I could do with some good news.

14. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article was of course referring to the length of time since publication of the PACE Trial.

I thought Carol Monaghan deserved a medal. Brilliant speech. Wouldn't mind getting hold of it to publish on the ME Association website.

Anyone know what MRC-funded study into brain function and ME/CFS symptoms, the Minister was referring to? I couldn't think of any pending study. There are a few that the MRC funded back in 2011 but nothing I recall being about the 'brain'.

BBC Radio Scotland Kaye Adams show featuring M.E. again at 12noon if you are able to listen...

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Milo and 16 others like this.
  15. guest001

guest001 Guest

Thanks can be added to her FB account.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, sea and 11 others like this.
  16. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can watch it again using the same link as the live debate - just slide the bar back to the PACE Trial. But I believe it will be published as a separate recording at some point. I'll post the link when I write up Dr Shepherd's notes later in the week.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/cf2fde9d-f327-4bf4-8e72-1fc6124b8998?agenda=True

All the best

Alvin, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 20 others like this.
  17. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it went very well, given the very short time frame. A number of MPs participated on our behalf, and made some very strong points. They were very on target, and very clear and telling.

Carol Monaghan was superb. She's clearly furious about it all, and was very well briefed. She must have done a huge amount of work.

She said that she been contacted by around a thousand people about the debate, including from the US and Australia.

Good that the minister agreed that perhaps more time is needed to debate the issues. While she fudged a bit in places in her reply, she also admitted some points - they clearly have heard the message and do realise the issues.

An MP: "this cover-up and the way the PACE trial was carried out amounts to a miscarriage of justice for patients".
    Carol Monaghan: "I think that when the full details of the trial are known that this will be put down as one of the biggest scandals of the twenty first century".

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Cohen, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 28 others like this.
  18. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Totally agree Andy, and there were no MP's trying to defend PACE, not one, that in itself is astonishing and I think very significant.

Compare that with the House of Lords debate where Peter White managed to get a whole range of Lords reading out his spiel defending the indefensible whilst the Countess of Mar was almost a lone voice speaking out against it.

How times have changed.

Carol Monaghan came over as informed and confident in her assertions.

The comment about it being the biggest medical scandal of the 21st century was bloody marvellous!

Thanks so very much to Carol Monaghan and the patients and their families who have been working with her to allow this to happen, and to all who contacted CM with their stories with PACE.

Also it was so good she pointed out this is a worldwide issue, not merely UK.

It was a joy to watch!

19. guest001

guest001 Guest

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Could it be this? Due to end Sep this year.
    http://gtr.rcuk.ac.uk/projects?ref=MR/M02363X/1