1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Some Thoughts About an Upcoming Article

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Holgate is the chair of the CMRC and Chris Ponting is the deputy chair. I don't know much about Holgate's background but I think that Chris is an excellent researcher with interesting ideas around ways to explore the biology behind ME. The whole CMRC has changed in nature in the last year or so and I think is now a positive force for biomedical research.

The CMRC now also has a patient advisory group (PAG) who are also pushing for biomedical research and I joined the CMRC PAG in January.

The names are confusing the MRC is the medical research council which is a government agency whose role it is to fund medical research. I think there are issues but as I understand it Holgate and Ponting are doing their best to persuade the MRC to fund more biomedical research.

2. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, that sounds reasonably promising. What brought about Holgate's change of heart? He treated Dr Geraghty terribly from what I just read. Last question..

Barry, Nellie, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  3. Paul Watton

Paul Watton Established Member (Voting Rights)

I certainly tried to do that, but I'm not sure how much of what I actually said sank in.

inox, SallyC, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think we only have parts of stories around this and I could speculate but it would be pure speculation and so not worth doing.

I think we are now in a position where the CMRC is a positive thing for patients.

I really think stories such as the one this journalist is trying to write could become very negative in that relationships are being build between researchers and patients but a repeat of patients vs researcher stories could damage that. The real answer to such stories is that patients are doing all they can to back high quality research, push for funding and fundraising for research. Of course part of pushing for high quality research is to understand the current state of the research, the literature, methodologies and problems to ensure they are not repeated and clues are followed. It may be unusual for patients to have such deep discussions of the science but that should be seen as a positive. And of course that is why this forum is here - so that patients and researchers can discuss the research and science around ME (and Chris Ponting is a member).

5. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Adrian...great to hear positive news

Barry, MEMarge, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you ask what evidence had been seen as to the existence of death threats? Its a shame the interview didn't take place later. You could have asked if the journalist had been shown previously unknown video evidence.

EDITED

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While it would be ridiculous to try to tie that tweet to death threats, at the same time I don't think that tweeting something like that is a good idea. (And I say that having posted a few things that were probably not a good idea myself. I've had a comment of mine where I was complaining about the prejudiced views promoted in one judgement then presented as evidence of how unreasonable PACE critics are to the ICO in a judgement that classed a reasonable request for information as 'vexatious', and that didn't feel good.)

8. Paul Watton

Sometimes you just have to say what you think.
    I am sick & tired of the kind of political correctness which stifles frankness.
    I stand by every word.

9. Paul Watton

Yes, I did ask. The reporter confirmed having seen "evidence" of death threats, but didn't say what.
    I followed up by saying that in my opinion, anyone who does that, isn’t helping the cause of people with M.E., because they’re gifting an opportunity to the likes of Wessely, White, Sharpe and others, to make themselves look like victims.

10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have read @Valerie Eliot Smith's recent posts. Valerie has been an incredible help to me over the last 3+ years. Despite her poor health, she vetted multiple versions of my initial 15,000-word investigation and multiple posts afterwards. She has been scrupulous in advising me on what kinds of expressions are allowable under UK standards (different from US) and what are not. I trust her 100%. If she says she saw a video and it contained what can only be called criminal threats, then that's what it contained. I see no reason to think she is so naive that she was hoodwinked or somehow played by anyone.

Added: Oh, she and her husband also suggested the name "Trial By Error." So I am grateful to her for that as well!

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they have actually received such threats they should have to keep records and better yet show them to the Police for followup action.
    If they exist they would have no problem with this and justice would be served.

12. dave30th

Why make the assumption the police were not called in? Sometimes these things happen quietly and charges are not pursued for any number of reasons.

ME/CFS Skeptic, ukxmrv and MEMarge like this.
  13. Alvin

Was there not a situation a while back where they claimed to receive threats but could not furnish any evidence?

MEMarge likes this.
  14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like you, I have no doubt about VES. The fact remains that for the video to be regarded as credible evidence capable of use in a prosecution there would have to be someone who could say either that they had made the copy of the video, or that they had watched it on the internet and that this appeared to be a recording of what they had seen. It may very well be that the video which Valerie saw was indeed taken from the internet. The questions which interest me are not the credibility and integrity of VES, which I do not doubt, but the reasons for the recording not having been previously mentioned amongst all the stories of harassment and abuse, the reasons for its re-emergence now, and the capacity in which the person who made it available held it. I assume that it was not provided by SW or his lawyers, who might be reasonably expected to hold copies. Who else would have held copies?

15. dave30th

I'm only talking about the Wessely tape that Valerie wrote about. I'm not talking about any of the other alleged threats. In some cases you might want to keep information private for safety, or you might be advised by the police to do so. I have no knowledge of any of this stuff. But I trust Valerie. If she says she saw a video that had been sent to Wessely and it contained possibly criminal threats, then there was a video that was sent to Wessely that contained possibly criminal threats.

16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately, the situation and prejudices surrounding ME/CFS means that the average sick patient, angry about the way they are being treated, is given much less leeway in how they can comment on those who have power over them than general members of the public are in how they comment on politicians and the like.

Things that we say, that would be utterly un-noteworthy coming from members of another group about some politician, can be used as a justification for dismissing all of our concerns and make life more difficult for patients everywhere. It's worth pointing out the problems with this, but I also think it's worth being aware of the way in which we face higher costs than most groups for posting some expression of anger or frustration.

17. dave30th

Good questions. But I think unfortunately they will likely remain unanswered. In cases like this, there are likely good reasons for confidentiality. There are also issues of lawyer-client privilege which might be coming into play. It has only "re-emerged" now because Valerie wrote about it. That's the only reemergence that has happened, as far as I can tell. The experience she wrote about is from the past.

MSEsperanza, Barry, Inara and 2 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's perfectly possible that such a video was produced and planted there by the BPS people. They have fabricated evidence before (see Crawley's claim of having received a threatening letter). PACE showed how dishonest they are. It's difficult to explain why such a video, if it was authentic, was not presented as evidence during the QMUL PACE data tribunal hearing, and why Chalder admitted that no threats had been made. She is a colleague of Wessely. Chalder already admitted under oath that the threats against researchers story was false. At least until that point.

Hutan, Chezboo, Daisymay and 9 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I thought @chrisb was referring to the journalist, not to Valerie.

The problem some of us found with Valerie's investigation into the threats was not whether she was honest or not. I am sure none of us have any reason to doubt her integrity and we are all very grateful that she has been such a terrific help with your work.

It was rather puzzlement over what purpose she thought she was serving in digging into the threats, and the strategy she proposed for following up her researches. It seemed to me, and to some others that her approach was unwise.

As Jonathan Edwards said on the thread where we discussed Valerie's blogs:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/blog-...y-valerie-eliot-smith.7538/page-5#post-135885

20. Alvin

Ah, we are talking about different incidences here, my bad

Thats one way bullies keep themselves on top, by pretending to be the real victims and using double standards to keep their actual victims down.

That might be the one i am thinking of

In the end all this threat stuff is meant to keep us spinning our wheels and the real issues out of the spotlight which is their scientific malfeasance.
    Its a common tactic used in national discourse and even politics.
    We need to make sure we don't fall into their sandtrap and steer the conversation back to the real issues at hand.

WillowJ, Hutan, Chezboo and 7 others like this.