Trial By Error: Some Thoughts About an Upcoming Article

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need to accept what is true and then use that information to decide how to be most effective. It's easy to talk about defeating their innate advantages, but much harder to actually achieve. I'm not talking about surrendering to misinformation, but it's worth remembering how lots of attempts at advocacy can be counter-productive.

Skycloud, Sean, inox and 1 other person like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course its much harder to achieve but if we stick to science and let them steamroll us with counterfactual smears and lies then we will have an even harder time getting anywhere.
    Lets not forget that when lies are repeated over and over and over people start to believe them. Their goal is a propaganda war to turn everyone against us and towards them. We should not become evil like them but we should fight on all fronts.
    It feels safe to stick to facts but thats not enough otherwise we would not be here.

ScottTriGuy, MEMarge, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With regards to how we should appeal to people when publicly opining on the ME debate I think that who the audience is should maybe in part guide us. Never use any statement that is incorrect but the overall tone I think can shift depending on who you are trying to relate to.

4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure, but it might be better to pick our emotional appeals and stories. We don't need to play into the ones set out by people who have no interest in our welfare.

So could talk about the science (or progress towards getting science), and also do whatever PR campaign we like, but sidestep any irrelevant nasty allegations towards us.

andypants and inox like this.
  6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thats not what i meant

It feels safe, when they go low, we go high.
    But when we ignore their propaganda moves we let them get away with them. They go low because its effective. And people respond to sentiment and popular narratives and easy answers over facts, math and reasoned thought. If reality was all that was needed the world would already be a better place.

Inara, andypants and AR68 like this.
  7. Cheshire

inox, Hutan, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, Lisa108, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  9. Cheshire

Hutan, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 5 others like this.