1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Some Thoughts About an Upcoming Article

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.virology.ws/2019/01/31/trial-by-error-some-thoughts-about-an-upcoming-article/

Aroa, BeautifulDay, JaneL and 37 others like this.
  2. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it Reuters by any chance?

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

fall out from Crawley investigation ?

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting.
    Are they a bothsiderism practicing publication?
    Even if they are they usually work to appease the bullies and thats not you.
    Also if they publish lies or slander you it may be worth speaking to their editors about a public correction or apology.

What i hate about these kinds of situations is the power imbalance, the powerful can often use the media to spite the less powerful.
    But if they do attempt to slam you lets hope we can come up with an angle to fight it and turn it against them.

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My 'Liking' Andy's post wasn't a real like "like'.

I'm sorry to hear that they may now be coming after DT in a personal character assassination kind of way. Although given the cold damp corner they've put themselves in one might find it inevitable.

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm really sorry @dave30th that you are having to deal with this.

:thumbup:

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope that the writer of the anticipated article will disclose his pay for the piece.

I do like a pre-emptive attack.

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Blimey, they really are rattled if they are getting a journalist to try to do a hatchet job on you @dave30th.

Thank you for so eloquently standing up to such an attack. And thank you for writing about the situation in a public way before the article comes out. I hope the journalist checks that what you are saying is all true and realises they are being used.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This doesn't sound good.

I may have got the impression that there may have been a change since Establishment people realised Cochrane were considering withdrawal of the Larun review, and I wonder if that led to a sense that they really needed to crush this to avoid embarrassment.

This led to me being less than enthused about the new investigation into Crawley's work. The UK often seems to use investigations as a way of downplaying problems.

So many important and influential people are connected to one another and have shared interests that it's not surprising they'll try to stick together and avoid the substance debate about the matters that are actually affecting patients' lives.

A lot of concern about powerless people who've been mistreated posting stupid and offensive things on social media.. rather less concern about powerful and influential people using polite intimidation to get what they want in private.

Probably worth being aware that the writer of the piece could be looking on the forum for any quotes that can be taken out of context and used to make patients look bad.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ignore it where possible, it's just a distraction. Keep writing!

They love this kind of controversy, not the other kind about outcome switching and failure to control for placebo effects. So keep writing about the latter.

PS: you're going to have to write some response to the accusations, but other than that, just keep going.

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, perhaps this thread should be made members only?

12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another thing that pisses me off is how UK journalists can hugely over-hype the importance of whoever is sending stupid and offensive messages, acting as if these are the people who have helped draw attention to the problems with research like Wessely's, White's, Larun's, etc, then other patients get the blame and stigma related to this. We're not encouraging the people who do it! We're not the ones pretending that sending rude or abusive messages is an effective way to challenge poor quality research!

13. chrisb

Indeed. It seems that the potentially most offensive messages are kept secret. if they were not, we could denounce them.

14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Shows you’re making inroads @dave30th or they wouldn’t be doing this

ETA presumably timed to take the gloss off the positive PR for ME community from the commons debate.

15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If that kind of tone is taken it would certainly 'out' their motivation as that would be a bad faith strategy in reporting. Admittedly a strategy that seems to not carry any negative consequences any more.

And the horrifying thing about when people take on doing such dirty work is that it has a very much wider impact on society than the subject and substance of the topic being written up. If one person or a few does/do it it can be absorbed into a well generally functioning society when it becomes common place then the people doing it will suffer the same fate of living under a dysfunctional social environment.

16. Ron

Ron Established Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th Stoke up that fund raising machine as it appears your just getting started!

17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Obviously we do not yet know the publication involved or any content, however, if the articles goes ahead as the journalist's questions to @dave30th seem to suggest, would it be worth starting to develop a response strategy?

Hopefully such an article will be another self inflicted shot in the foot by the BPS cult, but we need to be able to rapidly point other journalists to accurate and balanced information sources.

18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:)
    Looks like this forthcoming article will be timed nicely to help the fund-raising along.

19. chrisb

Have just reread it...…. Running rampant?..... Us?..... Shome mishtake, shurely, as Lord Gnome would have said.

20. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be honest @dave30th I'm very surprised they haven't done this sooner. 'Playing the man and not the ball' is pretty much their default approach to criticism, so they were always going to try and discredit you sooner or later. It's a pretty high risk strategy though, especially given your academic and journalistic credentials and record - this could very easily end up just drawing greater attention to the substance of your criticisms. Fingers crossed...

As @NelliePledge said though, they wouldn't be doing this if you weren't making progress. It's kind of a compliment - probably the only one Sharpe Wessely, Crawley et al will ever pay you - so I hope you take it as an encouragement to keep going.