1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: CBT and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Cheshire, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial By Error: My Letter to Professor Moss-Morris

http://www.virology.ws/2020/02/03/trial-by-error-my-letter-to-professor-moss-morris/

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm really curious to see reactions in the IBS and IBD community, professionals and patients. I would expect the IBD experts to be outraged by this but at this point I don't even know if reality matters anymore.

Surprised there hasn't been much. This stuff here is touting some almost miracle treatment. Not that people should take the claims seriously but the fact that people are making those claims with powerful institutional backing should get some reaction at some point.

Joh, Chezboo, dangermouse and 7 others like this.
  3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is surely false advertising? CBT is not used to treat MS. At best, it's a management therapy. I'm sure most medical groups would say the same thing (that a management approach is not a treatment).

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

clinically and cost-effective treatments

If I am not mistaken it is a direct quote from the NICE protocol for its guidelines - in which case the fault lies in the first place with NICE but in the second place with someone happy to use a meaningless phrase just because it is regulation requirements.

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. I wonder if it would be within the remit of advertising standards? Could the literature it appeared in be classed as advertising?

ladycatlover and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is its purpose if not to convince of the worth of the product? Sounds like advertising to me.

7. rvallee

It does look like "treatment" and "treated" are also part of the words that have been redefined to fit BPS needs.

Wessely did say he "treated" thousands of ME patients. Which means nothing more than he saw those patients, whoever they are. So by very loose definition of the word, it looks like "treated" merely means a "treatment" was applied, not that it did anything.

This is the essence of the behavioral paradigm where many are considered "treated" of CFS because they did CBT or GET. All it means is they went through it, that's been an accepted standard for years by now. It's a terrible standard but it has precedent to point to for a weasely, no pun intended, lawyer who will insist they never meant anyone was successfully treated, just that they went through some treatment.

Cheshire, EzzieD, rainy and 4 others like this.
  8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes but they're not offering it yet. it's like they're branding it before they intend to launch it.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I just assumed that if this deal has been announced they will now be in the process of trying to sell it to NHS commissioners not sure if that would be nationally or locally.. It won’t be launched to the public unless they manage to secure a contract/contracts.

10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, I assume they will. but does the advertising standards agency get involved at this stage, when it is not yet available to anybody?

11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ah ok see what you mean

also if eventually it is provided as NHS service people aren’t directly paying for possibly Advertising Standards would say it’s outside their remit? Ah I see they ruled against a tv ad about Universal Credit recently so remit does cover public sector ads.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You couldn't make it up!!

14. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In a sense isn't that just what they're doing!?

15. large donner

large donner Guest

Just imagine! Walk into a doctors room with ME and who should be sitting in the chair but Wessely.

Oh what a treat!!

16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It might be interesting to hear what his views now are. I think he has suggested that he would now express himself in different terms. As he would need to.

ladycatlover likes this.
  17. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. rvallee

He could do this any day. Never has, never will. Literally nothing is preventing him other than the fact that he badly does not want to.

Sean and ladycatlover like this.
  19. rvallee

So this ACTIB thing is going to become the basis for the IAPT and NHS documentation on IBS (and IBD?) the same way PACE did for ME. Similarly, it's not even a linear process, the evidence is made up at the same time as it is applied into practice and internal training.

I really love the "evidence base" for the BPS model shown, from the mid-90's no less, is literally just 3 bubbles with labels and no specific anything. You could put anything in those bubbles and it would be just as valid.

And this is just pure insanity, you could replace "greater perfectionism" with literally any pseudoscientific concept and it works just the same. Could be karma, spiritual energy, thetans, whatever, makes no difference:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1222777575149314048

And the head of the NHS was talking about the danger of Goop? Good grief.

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

dangermouse and ladycatlover like this.