1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: And Another Prebuttal…

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Daisy, Feb 5, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Cheers @dave30th sorry for indulging in thinking out loud. :whistle:

MEMarge, Barry and Trish like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ha! I didn't mean it as an admonition! I like speculating too!

MEMarge, Simbindi, Barry and 4 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

No I didn’t take it that way

MEMarge and Barry like this.
  4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how much of this 'investigative journalism' has been stirred up to try and distract @dave30th from the work he wanted to do around IAPT and MUS? How much of his valuable time has been lost to addressing all this cr*p?

As you can see from the below link, MUS are now being firmly construed as a mental health condition by NHS England, not symptoms of physical illness(es) of unknown aetiology:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/mental-health/adults/iapt/mus/wave-two-integrated-iapt-sites/

As previous posts have highlighted, 'CFS' and 'CFS/ME' have been used as examples of MUS in the IAPT guidance.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-i...ns-and-mus-full-implementation-guidance.6948/

The future here in the UK is not looking rosy, the recent parliamentary debate not withstanding. We urgently need @dave30th to help highlight the BPS agenda that is driving the IAPT MUS programme, and unpick the pseudoscience that is propping the whole edifice up.

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Simbindi
    I'm getting an error message when trying to open the file.

6. Simbindi

A file was uploaded by mistake. I deleted it.

Snowdrop likes this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Sean and 16 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I formally declare the material in the above quote to be unethical.
    Specifically the engagement bit because there is no valid evidence.

MEMarge, Hutan, Mithriel and 16 others like this.
  10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree this is a critical need that I need to pay more attention to going forward, and yes, this current situation has distracted me from getting further along on that topic. I can't speculate about people's motivations--well, I can, but in this case I won't publicly.

Mithriel, ladycatlover, Sean and 7 others like this.
  11. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is "Reduced reassurance" ?

Hutan, ladycatlover, Sid and 2 others like this.
  12. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whereas I don't disagree with your post I would add that we also need others to do the work too. Unfortunately I don't see too many people doing what David does in the UK. Without trying to speak for him (because I obviously cannot), he's done a marvellous job but I'm sure he has a life of his own that he wants to get back to so we need to have some 'grow your own' people with similar knowledge and tenacity here.

As a little side issue, I don't think it's at all surprising that (essentially) it took an Aussie and an American to get us this far re the PACE trial breakthroughs in recent years. We in the UK need to borrow some of this tenacity if we're to progress.

13. ScottTriGuy

Any ideas why that is?

I have been told that at least 2 journalists covering ME felt a lot of pushback. One was apparently fired, and the other was brought before a judge.

I imagine that was a large disincentive to other journalists.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  14. Simbindi

I agree, but having international objectivity adds a lot of impact to the arguments being made.

The MUS agenda seems to be prevalent and growing in at least a few other European countries. The UK NICE guidelines around CBT and GET have had a negative impact on ME sufferers across the globe, so what is happening in the UK around IAPT and MUS could well do the same if not recognised and challenged in a timely manner by the international ME community. Hence the need for international journalism to highlight the severity of this particular problem to a wide audience.

The impending expansion of IAPT is one of the reasons I suggested a new sub-forum to discuss issues around general disability studies, as many chronic and severely ill people, not just those with ME, are going to be affected by the MUS monster.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/sub-forum-on-general-disabilities-studies-and-advocacy.7996/

Having allies across a diversity of disability/illness communities would help both us and them. I think the ME community is ahead of many other illness communities in recognising what is happening (the gas-lighting and the impending MUS juggernaut ) because we have been being harmed by the dominant BPS model for so long.

See, for example:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/icd-11-fibromyalgia-mg30-01-chronic-widespread-pain.5088/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    ladycatlover, Sean, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

16. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover likes this.
  17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the question of revolution Camus' description in The Rebel is worth recalling. The revolutionary merely wishes to replace the old-guard with himself and his friends. The rebel wishes to assert a change in values.

18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover and ScottTriGuy like this.
  19. ScottTriGuy

Attached Files:

MEMarge, Inara and ladycatlover like this.
  20. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes but that's not my argument. I've nothing against outside intervention - it is absolutely needed - but it's absolutely needed because the people from outside the UK to whom I've referred have done things which we haven't.

ladycatlover likes this.