1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: A Plea to Fiona Godlee on a Familiar Topic

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, May 16, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2019-6-4_12-55-59.png

2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since they swapped outcomes to make sure it "worked," it wasn't clear to me how she could have been surprised. that seems to me to have been, let's say, not quite a true statement.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That assumes rational thinking. That may be a precarious assumption.
    Not expecting something to work is not the same as not being motivated to help it work.

4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

And I think, as LP is such a mixture of esoteric craps, she couldn't say she thought it would be successfull before there was any results. But as it has been sanctified by "science", she can now claim it works without anyone clearly knowing why (while thinking CFS patient are just so irrational).

DokaGirl, MSEsperanza, Barry and 2 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PACE researchers also affirmed being at equipoise about the "treatments" they have been promoting as highly successful for decades at this point.

Their word is meaningless in this context, the whole of psychosocial ME research has been built on deceit and they think it's fine if it "works".

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Crawley was describing her LP pracitioner as 'good' back in 2011:

https://meagenda.wordpress.com/2011...lation-to-smile-lighting-process-pilot-study/

Presumably that indicates that she thought they were able to effectively treat their patients, unless she meant 'good' at taking money from credulous patients and providing quackery.

I'd assume Crawley's claims about being surprised by her result as just spin. Maybe it's true and her earlier 'good' claim were spin? I think it could just all be spin, and she just says what she thinks will be useful for her.

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Finding that quote reminded me how much info @Dx Revision Watch had on the early LP stuff. She may be a good person to ask re claims of 'secrecy'?

8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point. even if you "help" it work you might not be expecting it to.

9. Barry

When you actually read that question, and consider EC's non-answer, it is very clear how this strategy is second-nature to these critique-deflecting scientists. In just the same way as they claim to respond to criticisms, whilst conveniently overlooking they fail to answer them ... that is exactly what EC did in this case. And was allowed to get away with it.

10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has it ever been established in what circumstances Crawley had previously "worked before with the Bath practitioner"? It looks strange.

Would you use that form of words merely if one of your patients was also undergoing LP separately and you had cause to speak with her? It looks to be much more than that.

11. Barry

Interesting observation.

12. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FoA to Bristol Uni to ask about

When did EC work with this practitioner before, for what reason(s), and why does she say the practitioner is "good"?

@dave30th? @JohnTheJack? I don't have the capability to do this currently as in something of a downswing.

13. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, there was self-selection.
    If anyone is interested I did a 3-part blog on this trial, starting here.
    https://johnthejack.com/2017/07/02/the-smile-trial-part-1/

I'd forgotten, but I remember now that one adult patient told me that after being persuaded to take an LP course and then not improving, they contemplated suicide.

14. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Interesting idea, but I don't think it's one I'll pursue just now. Though, as always, I remain open to help anyone who does.

15. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Sean, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  16. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re the LP fault assignment: "You're doing ME." It's easy to blame the little guy. What about the powers that be? No blame there, eh?

I ask, why is the LP to be kept secret? Perhaps because it may be found out to be empty? Ineffective? Nonsense? Or, is this a marketing ploy? Keep it secret, and people will clamber to find out what it's about.

It is ironic, and absurd that at least on the face of it, the LP appears to abuse children without any repercussions that we are made aware of, while authorities remove children with ME from loving, caring homes.

MEMarge, Mithriel, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BMJ has "corrected" the Lightning Process study but has allowed its conclusions to stand, as far as I can tell. I will have more to say about this. Apparently, the authors have convinced the journal that the outcome swapping had nothing to do with the fact that the revised primary outcome had positive results: "The process has additionally involved seeking assurance from the authors that the change in primary outcome was not influenced by (positive) findings in the feasibility phase."

Everything was an innocent mistake after all!
    https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2...cVC0p0ozmkjdT6bzMx9nz0XVrrfPk97Rp59e1vafba3P0

Moderator note: This post has been copied and following posts moved to a new thread:
    BMJ Archives of Diseases in Childhood: ''Editor’s note on correction to Crawley et al. (2018)'', 2019, Nick Brown. (SMILE LP Trial)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
    Sly Saint, Sean, Hutan and 10 others like this.