1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Treating chronic fatigue syndrome / Oxford Neuroscience

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Cheshire, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Seems like MS still has friends in the UK at Oxford University:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039467477988790272

An ode to Michael's tremendous work (wondering who wrote this, I nearly choked while reading...):

And the best (this was suposedly revised in 2018!):
    Direct link:https://www.neuroscience.ox.ac.uk/how-we-are-making-a-difference/treating-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Woolie, Binkie4, Lidia and 24 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably this is a departmental advert page so maybe Dr Sharpe wrote it.

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps staking things out for literature reviews for NICE.
    There will be a lot of positioning..

4. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

The NIH retired the Oxford Criteria
    Continuing to use the Oxford definition (of ME/CFS) may impair progress and cause harm. National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop: Advancing the Research of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome draft statement
    CDC no longer recommend CBT or GET

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am pleased to say that we can be fairly sure the NICE committee will take no notice whatever of this!!

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Really - there are over a million people with ME? I don't think so.
    Oh, but I forgot, the Oxford definition also includes tired people.

What planet are they living on?

I think I'm going to be sick.

Fake news.

Sharpe has hit a new low with this. Oxford University should sack him.

Woolie, Manganus, Binkie4 and 30 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My take on the whole write up is that 'they' can see that 'time is up' for the GET recommendation for ME/CFS and are pushing to retain CBT as so much of the 'research' past and present depends on it.

(and not only ME/CFS research).

(see also @Emsho post saying that the Libdems supported removal of GET but not CBT).

This is why I think it is important to know what the content is for CBT used for ME/CFS patients.
    ie that it does not tell patients to ignore their symptoms and push through, and effectively encourage graded exercise; that the content is designed to help the patient cope with the illness, as opposed to try and 'overcome' it.

Someone, somewhere needs to raise the whole issue of this blanket use of the term CBT and raise questions about its real effectiveness, or not, in 'treating' specific symptoms/conditions (not just for ME/CFS).
    see my post here:
    https://www.s4me.info/posts/102843/

see also:
    https://www.s4me.info/posts/102452/

Woolie, Tilney, Gecko and 19 others like this.
  8. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wanted to send them a quick email to say that I had taken a screenshot of this page as proof of their promotion of fraudulent research and iatrogenic harm but they don't supply an email address on their 'contact us' page: https://www.neuroscience.ox.ac.uk/about/contact-us

Even that is stuck in the 20th century.

9. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is medical fraud a crime?

10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Definitely agree with this @Sly Saint it goes back to that thread we had a while back about all the different names they give to CBT/GET including CFS/me clinic style pacing, ME management programmes etc. Just because it is called CBT/Pacing/management of ME doesn’t mean they don’t either blatantly or subtly try to prompt you to up your activity. So anything that promotes increased activity based on ignoring symptoms should be off the agenda whatever it is called because it is PACElite

11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s astonishing this out of date propaganda has been allowed. It looks like Sharpe trying to maintain face with his Oxford peers to me. Reinforces my belief that PACE couldn’t be allowed to fail because of the egos and size of the investment.
    It is sad that hes influencing how fatigue in other illness is being treated, after ignoring fatigue, to then CBT it instead of looking for underlying treatable mechanisms seems very unhelpful. It’s true it’s happening as Rona moss Morris is heavily involved with the MS society but I’d hardly call her work brilliant science, she thinks CBT the solution to everything, there’s no head that cap doesn’t fit and she can produce a weak study to prove it.

Woolie, MEMarge, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

"Neuroscience" sounds seriously scientific. Is it one of those words like "Nutritionist" which anyone can use? I don't suppose we could ask the ASA to get them to change it to "Oxford Psychobabble", or even "Oxford Quackery"?

"Dr Sharpe, Head of Quackery, Oxford" has a certain ring to it. Why has Oxford got a Quackery Department, and why do they insist on calling it "Oxford Neuroscience"?

What have they done with the real neuroscientists (whatever they are)? Maybe they got mistakenly swept up in the Oxford pogrom of Registered Dieticians and they're all locked in a cupboard somewhere. I reckon there could be a scandal brewing here.

Woolie, EzzieD, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

tiredsam, what are you on? and where can I get some..:D

Manganus, EzzieD, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PACE really has revolutionised our understanding of how to treat CFS and ME. We now know we cannot use CBT or GET, that the Oxford criteria is far past its use-by date, and that what matters most is objective outcome measures. Subjective outcome measures in unblinded trials are a nonsense. Also we know that huge numbers of doctors and those claiming to be scientists do not properly scrutinise research or have an inadequate understanding of statistics.

JohnM, Manganus, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, can I buy it online?

alktipping, MeSci, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  17. TiredSam

I'm on my sofa.
    I'll let you know when we put it on ebay. It'll probably be after the kids have left home, but I've made a note of your interest.

NelliePledge, Woolie, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  18. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve finished my trial sample now Sam, thanks. I’m thinking the dose was a bit high though ? Mrs Sloth said that I’ve been ranting about Jamie Oliver too much and it’s gettimg on her nerves?

I’m interested in placing an order ...is there a discount in place for bulk orders?

Woolie, Manganus, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  19. TiredSam

How bulky are you? It's an old sofa and not as stable as it was. Perfect for ranting about Jamie Oliver and many other subjects though.

Woolie, EzzieD, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  20. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I thought that the cushion you sent me was odd? Nevertheless who am I to question treatments sent to me by post so I ate around half the stuffing in one sitting. I think I went a bit fast though since I felt a bit queesey afterwards like my liver was detoxing too fast ? so I slowed down and finished the lot in small amounts over the week.

My feedback is that some easy to swallow capsules would help...I would definitely spend more for those.

EzzieD, alktipping, Hutan and 7 others like this.