1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

There were not many ME/CFS research papers published in 2018 in comparison to many conditions

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Tom Kindlon, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Tom Kindlon

3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some good tweets from Guthridge have been posted here. Is he a researcher?

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Liessa, WillowJ, Sisyphus and 13 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Dr Guthridge's self description on Twitter:

ladycatlover, MeSci, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Hutan, WillowJ, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ah, but once research is done to establish what we need to research, only then will we see ME research funded [NIH logic].

8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disheartening. Guthridge is a good egg, though.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly, there are still too many dump ME/CFS papers from Crawley & co to be able to keep up with.

10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you mean dumb or dump? Both apply.

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dump for me. I think that I could be using childhood slang that's thirty years out of date though. In the UK 'dumb' still has some associations with people who are unable to talk, although the US use of it is becoming more widespread.

andypants, WillowJ and ladycatlover like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

WillowJ, ladycatlover and Esther12 like this.
  13. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately I think the world isn’t shockable on ME , even if people hear this it will be filed under well it’s not that serious they get better, it’s still controversial , Some think it’s not real so what do they expect.
    The media can compute it more if they have got past the above, which I think they have more in the USA than here.

Whilst the nhs and NICE is still pedaling behavioral management, it’s difficult to see a uk paper running headline “ME patients neglected” or “ concern that ME research isn’t progressing” as a scandal type story. It might be worth trying to get journalists to grasp both the numbers and severity and the varied outcomes in the context of this low level of progrsss in biomedical research. Government agencies are already aware but won’t do more unless there’s more outcry I don’t think.

Perhaps 2019 is the year to really act on funding. If an MP could hold up a big picture of this graph at the House of Commons debate it might be effective.

andypants, Skycloud, JaimeS and 2 others like this.
  14. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is widespread, but a lot of ableist terms are. I think many people don't think a lot about the derivation of words.

One where I stumble is "lame" for "not very good" (ableist again) and I have hopefully solved my use of "tacky" (classist). I am almost there with not using "crazy" for "unexpected, wild, excessive, emotional, etc." (ableist again).

andypants and ahimsa like this.
  15. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One point though, despite to us the progress painfully inadequate, in the last five years were miracles that were probably not envisaged by patients let alone those with vested interests in CFS remaining “unexplained”because unexplored.

The rituximab research nearly didn’t happen and some doubted it could, IOM report was much more patient friendly and revolutionary than expected IMO and NIH responded quickly ( but with low funding), Jen breas amazing unrest film awareness and missing millions patient movement and the involvement of dr Ron Davis plus the bitcoin windfall for that research team. Just imagine where we could have been if these things hadn’t happened, we would have been plodding on until 2020-25 with little change. I rather expect that was the hope of certain uk individuals and groups.