1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Times view on taking myalgic encephalomyelitis seriously: Chronic Condition

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While their heart seems in the right place with this, I do worry that the narrative presented is simplified in some unhelpful and misleading ways that risk strengthening the position of people like Wessely. eg presenting concerns about CBT and GET like this "adding to the distress of sufferers by implicitly suggesting that it was a form of mental illness", but not looking at the specifics of the problems with the research.

JemPD, lycaena, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can I just quote a slightly edited version of something I wrote in a related thread yesterday?

Anna H and DokaGirl like this.
  3. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried to pre-empt this with my letter to The Times (see new thread). Unfortunately, the editing diluted the point I was trying to make but I hope it still came across to some extent.

If anyone else is thinking of writing, my guess is that The Times may still be receptive to publishing letters on ME until the end of the week – particularly if they refer to the letters published today. It will be interesting to see if they publish anything from Wessely et al. If they do, that will present another opportunity to counter now that the referee appears to be on our side. Just remember to keep letters as short as possible and (unlike me) only try to make one clear point.

MEMarge, lycaena, janice and 6 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it did - difficult to fully explain how they've misleadingly simplified things in an article if you only have half a paragraph!

5. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)