1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Royal Society of Medicine presents '21st Century Healthcare', a collaboration with ITN Productions

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have only just become aware of this and although I suspected that the SMC connection(ie SW) was at play with regards to Channel 4 News, Channel 5 News and ITN (who actually are in charge of all three) (for me)this confirms it.
    "
    The Royal Society of Medicine presents '21st Century Healthcare', a collaboration with ITN Productions
    Thursday 21 September 2017

Launching December 2017

Following the success of ‘Doctors of the Future’, The Royal Society of Medicine and ITN Productions are partnering for a consecutive year to produce a news and current affairs-style programme that will explore the collaborative approach to medicine, encourage new thinking and look at solutions to prominent healthcare issues.

‘21st Century Healthcare’ will highlight the importance of sharing and creating new knowledge, as well as celebrate success stories from the wider healthcare team. New innovations and break-through ideas are playing a vital part in addressing the big healthcare challenges of the future and the programme will showcase how the industry can continue to champion a collaborative approach."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e96zES3jpgs

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It almost begins to sound like an organised campaign.

Let me try again.

The organised campaign continues.

Which 'industry' was that by the way?

At the back it says
    ITN Productions
    Industry News

So presumably its the 'medical industry' they are referring to?

TiredSam, Jan, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  3. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Prof Wessely is chair of this esteemed institution, no? I wonder whether this was his plan going in - to use the position to gain access to media?

Sean, Wonko, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Is there any position of influence in this field, in the UK, that Wessely has not held in his career?

How many fingers in how many pies is safe?

6. Jonathan Edwards

Or was it to use the media to gain access to another position?

The parallels with Trump are interesting but most of all I keep thinking of Orwell. What intrigues me is that Orwell's assumption in Animal Farm and 1984 seems to have been that the nightmare scenario would be the result of some sort of Marxist ideology. Maybe not but we have come to associate Big Brother is watching you with that.

And of course there is the SMC connection with Marxism Today. But what we seem to be witnessing is the old capitalist system turning into Big Brother, now both in the West and in the 'liberalised' East. We are literally being listened in to all the time. Double Speak is the norm. The nightmare that McCarthy and the American Dreamers fought so hard to keep at bay has sprouted like a honey fungus from capitalism's own roots.

We now have the Evidence Police at the Lancet who are the same people who produce the bad evidence that allows the 'medical industry' to sell worthless treatments. Meanwhile the four legged public stands in queues an hour long in A/E corridors hoping to be seen before they die.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

???

8. Jonathan Edwards

Animal Farm. Remember that the proletariat all have four legs. In the beginning the farmers are in charge with two legs. The the pigs take over crying 'four legs good, two legs bad'. But by the end of the book the pigs are walking on their hind legs calling 'two legs good, four legs bad'. Mr Yeltsin was Napoleon the Pig. But, as Orwell is clearly aware of, the two legged -ocracy has always been there and in the West it has merely changed from tweeds to sharp suits.

Skycloud, Jan, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Of course. It's a very long time since I read it.

10. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well what a load of whiffle waffle. I hope that this isn't going to be broadcast further than some boring training video or conference. What I did pick up amidst the self congratulatory fawning was the comment about spend and end of life costs. This chimed with another odd comment that sprung out of the BBC recently in that Michael Moseley programme, where a very biased perspective was shoehorned in under the guise of a debate. This jarred with the rest of the programme a bit and really stood out to me at the time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09pvwmb/trust-me-im-a-doctor-series-7-episode-4

About 18 minutes in they start discussing funding and end of life spend ramping up (understandably). The bit I found shocking was the summing up at the end saying that extending life by a few months is hard to justify? It wasn't the debate it was just the impression left at the end which seemed a bit odd. Might be bad editing or perhaps a campaign?

11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He doesn't need 'access' as he is already on the governance body of the Science Media Centre; this just 'seals the deal' and strengthens his position.

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/about-us/governance/

"Jonathan Baker (Chair)
    Professor of Journalism, University of Essex, (ex-Head of Newsgathering, BBC)

Adrian Bull
    External Relations Director, National Nuclear Laboratory

Karen Chadwick (Treasurer)
    Head of Commercial Finance, Wellcome Trust

Julian Hitchcock
    Partner, Marriott Harrison LLP

Dr Helen Jamison
    Head of Media Relations, Wellcome Trust

Prof. Ottoline Leyser
    Director & Professor of Plant Development, Sainsbury Laboratory, University of Cambridge

Prof. Sir Mike Rawlins
    Former Chair of NICE

Jo Revill
    Chief Executive, British Society for Immunology

Fran Unsworth
    Director World Service Group, BBC

Dr Paul Brooker
    formerly President Europe, Middle East & Asia Pacific EMEA, Envigo

Prof. Sir Simon Wessely
    Professor of Psychological Medicine, Kings College London "

Skycloud, Woolie, Trish and 3 others like this.
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Is it just me or did anyone else feel uneasy hearing the phrase "end of life care" coming out of Wessely's mouth? He does have a history of taking standard terms and giving them a whole new meaning before anyone realises what he's up to.

13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

TiredSam and Trish like this.
  14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh my God. This is so bad. The CFS edition of the programme will be on prime time ITN... "and now in a special report, we reveal what is being done to help millions with a much misunderstood disease, regain their health & lives, in the face of terrorist-like opposition & abuse of those sacrificing so much to help them......" Camera pans round "Professor Sir Simon Wessely, why do you think these patients are so resistant to help?"

sin_is_ter

TiredSam likes this.
  15. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We'll be having euthanasia clinics soon dressed up as treatment ....think that was a Ewan mcgregger film .."the island"

Nancy Blackett and TiredSam like this.
  16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I suspect one reason that Simon Wessely seems so unperturbed when we gain ground in the PACE debate is that he is busy making progress on a number of other fronts, many of which we are unaware of.

JemPD, Esther12, Trish and 4 others like this.