1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Relationship Between Childhood Trauma and the Response to Group CBT for CFS, 2020, De Venter et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2020.00536/full

MEMarge, oldtimer, Simbindi and 10 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have always thought that group therapy of any kind would be so incredibly intrusive, embarrassing and humiliating that I could never go through with it. The idea that I might spill personal information I don't want to be made public would prevent me from saying anything.

Does anyone actually ever get any benefit from this kind of group therapy? And what kind of problems do they have?

I just can't get my head round the idea that it does nothing other than tick a few boxes for the Powers-That-Be (PTB), and allows the PTB to pretend they are actually doing something useful, while spending the absolute minimum amount of money possible. After that's happened they push the people taking part out into the world telling them that are healed, so now they should stop bothering everyone, particularly the medical profession and the DWP.

I have to admit just writing this and thinking of going through therapy in a group made me excruciatingly embarrassed just imagining it. I'm sure my face has gone absolutely bright red.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How does BPS research somehow always manage to conclude exactly the worst possible thing at every turn? Nobody ever suggested it could be prohibitive, it's only ever been weirdos like Crawley pushing the assumption that it must play a huge role as a causative factor. An assumption that is widely believed despite there being no evidence of any kind.

It's seriously a special talent to actually manage to get it wrong so systematically.

Lidia, MEMarge, wdb and 15 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. A cynic might even think it was deliberate. :whistle:

Lidia, MEMarge, wdb and 8 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It may not have started out that way, but it sure has ended up becoming a deliberate cover-up exercise.

MEMarge, wdb, oldtimer and 8 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Couldn't you also say that if childhood abuse is not relevant, why dredge it up in the first place?

I'm sure lots of people have experienced negative situations either as kids or adults. I'm not convinced that it's always the best idea to bring it back up for an unrelated issue.

Anna H, Lidia, Milo and 20 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

with the current focus on ACEs ( Adverse childhood events) and these being pulled into every sphere of life childhood trauma is both big business and an Elastoplast for all life's ills.
    It's a distraction - there is no question that some children experience trauma that deeply affects them, however little seems to be focused on addressing the underlying causes of trauma, just fishing for labels.

Anna H, Lidia, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mhmm.

9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well there's a result they don't want to advertise

Anna H, Mithriel, MEMarge and 7 others like this.