1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The putative glymphatic signature of chronic fatigue syndrome: A new view on the disease pathogenesis and therapy, 2018, Wostyn et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will do. I have several other things i was asked to PM you about but have put off for a while

Melanie and JaimeS like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, whoever's interested is welcome to PM me to join in for first discussions. Let's set it for beginning of Sept or something along those lines, so that we can have time to gather folk.

Melanie and Alvin like this.
  3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JaimeS @Alvin New thread?

I think it's a great idea and I hope you get a good level of interest

JaimeS, Melanie and Alvin like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good idea.

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread

Retinal nerve fiber layer thinning in chronic fatigue syndrome as a possible ocular biomarker of underlying glymphatic system dysfunction,2019, Wostyn

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987719310667

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019
    Webdog and Barry like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Interesting:

RedFox, Webdog, Annamaria and 2 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely is interesting, though I do worry when a scientist seeks to patent something like this, presumably for their own future financial gain, rather than allowing their discovery be made generally available for the benefit of all.

Lidia, Andy and Trish like this.
  8. Madbeggar

Madbeggar Established Member (Voting Rights)

I went down a rabbit hole of research on this guy and related studies. I eventually ended up at the 2022 paper, Effects of Sound Interventions on the Permeability of the Blood–Brain Barrier and Meningeal Lymphatic Clearance, where they report this good news for headbangers:

"Another study exposed mice to Scorpions’ “Still Loving You” at 100 dB [20]. One hour after music exposure, BBB permeability increased 17.3-fold. Importantly, however, this permeability increase was induced only at 90-dB and 100-dB sound levels. The experimental group exposed to music at 70 dB experienced the same rise in BBB permeability as controls."

9. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well...whenever I'm really badly off, I always crave Enya. Or certain Tibetan Singing Bowls. I've never really known what to make of that. Though I have sometimes wondered if certain frequencies have some sort of effect on whatever mechanism of action is going on in a crash.

Can't say the Scorpion song would be tolerable during a crash though. :sick:

RedFox and Wyva like this.
  10. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was a huge metal fan in my younger days, attended tons of concerts and festivals. I didn't listen to the really melodic bands like Iron Maiden etc but to bands from Nordic countries with a more abrasive sound than that. You can imagine how much I can listen to that now. I mean I can but I really have to find the perfect time for it... :slugish:

SNT Gatchaman, Michelle, Sean and 2 others like this.
  11. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not available in my hippy youth - but still there are some days now when nothing else but Combichrist will do :jawdrop:.

Wyva and Trish like this.
  12. Madbeggar

Madbeggar Established Member (Voting Rights)

Well, no - not at 70dB, Michelle.
    But have you tried 100 dB?
    You've got to get over that 90 dB hump to really get the brain juice flowing.

Michelle likes this.