1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The ME Show

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Gary Burgess, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Lisa108, Allele and 6 others like this.
  2. Gary Burgess

Gary Burgess Established Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Missense, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  3. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really enjoyed the show @Gary Burgess. Do you prepare the questions? They’re good..relevant. Really looking forward to next week with Carol Monaghan MP.

Makes you wonder if Andy Burnham (Mayor of Manchester) would be good to approach to see what influence he could have. He attended Millions Missing at Manchester. I think he knows the ex Loughborough MP (think Andy Reed) who’s wife has ME (Sarah Reed). I think Sarah is part of MEAction but I could be wrong..just thinking out loud with a foggy brain.

Anyway, fab show, I’m really loving it.

alktipping, Lisa108, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  4. Gary Burgess

Thanks @dangermouse. That's really kind.

I've always approached interviews the same way: read up some, but not loads, on my interviewees and don't prepare questions. But I do often list things I want to cover and then mentally tick them off as I go. I much prefer them to feel like conversations, so tend to ask things based on what I've just heard. By not overly reading up, I tend to avoid assuming knowledge during the chat.

Thanks, too, for the interview suggestion. I've committed to 10 episodes for series one and have the guests lined up. After that, I will review the project with the ME Association based on whether anybody listens and finds it useful/interesting (hope so), how I'm managing setting up/recording/editing/publishing them (good so far), and whether they and I would like me to carry on.

I'll add Andy to the series two list. Keep thinking out loud... it's appreciated.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    alktipping, inox, Lisa108 and 20 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

sorry to go off thread here and apologies if it’s being discussed elsewhere but Andy Burnham turning out for MM Manchester is potentially big news he is mayor of Greater Manchester a former Health Secretary and so influential in getting public enquiries for Hillsborough Stadium victims and more recently the Tainted Blood scandal. Definitely someone we could benefit from having as a supporter Well done Manchester folks.

alktipping, Amw66, Lisa108 and 16 others like this.
  6. dangermouse

I hope you continue to do the shows @Gary Burgess they are the first of this kind, that I’ve come across, that are relevant, interesting and informative whilst forming a kind of connection for people with ME.

Yeah, I think Mayor Andy Burnham (for the reasons @NelliePledge highlighted) would be a good ally for the ME community.

alktipping, Lisa108, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

yes forgot to say @Gary Burgess when I got excited by Andy Burnham interest above that I really enjoy your approach in the show it makes me feel like im sitting there with you having a conversation with the interviewee :thumbup:

alktipping, Trish, Lisa108 and 6 others like this.
  8. Gary Burgess

Morning all. Episode three of The ME Show is live.

This week I speak to SNP MP Carol Monaghan who led the Westminster Hall debate about the Pace trial. Listen for free online or via iTunes at www.meassociation.org.uk/podcast

If you're able to spread the word and share that link elsewhere, that'd be amazing. Thank you all.

alktipping, Binkie4, Lucibee and 27 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent show (I prefer the shorter length). Jane Colby next week......looking forward to that one!

alktipping, Binkie4, Lisa108 and 11 others like this.
  10. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Gary Burgess just listened to episode 3, brilliant!! You are a gifted interviewer, you asked all the right questions, nothing was left out. I am so grateful to you for your work. Unfortunately, I am not on I tunes and totally crap at IT with my brainfog but is there anywhere simple I can go to rate your show? I thought Carol was fantastic, another angel on our side. Also, I much prefer the shorter version of the show

alktipping, Binkie4, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  11. Gary Burgess

Thank you, @Sunshine3. Don't worry about your IT skills. That you have listened is more than enough for my liking. Really good of you to take the time to do so.

alktipping, Binkie4, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  12. dangermouse

alktipping, Binkie4, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  13. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Gary Burgess Here's a listener from Germany – all of the first three episodes were amazing, thank you! :) And thanks to the ME Association for supporting this show.

alktipping, Binkie4, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

Another good one @Gary Burgess that makes it a hat-trick. I agree with Sly the shorter format was easier to listen to. Nothing about you or the interviewees just easier to take in.

alktipping, Binkie4, Trish and 8 others like this.
  15. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just catching up with this project now and I have to say! Wow, BRILLIANT work Gary! You've got just the right voice for this. All works really well. Keep it up.

16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for working on this. Marking to come back to listen to when I've got a bit more time.

17. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Listened to the 3rd episode last night. It was great hearing CM speak with the passion and indignation that we all feel and combined with jen’s Speech was quite inspiring.

Well done @Gary Burgess another good one. I think these are going to become quite good awareness tools to send to family and friends. I’ve added it to my to do list to send the links out.

18. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, these are fantastic, @Gary Burgess, you are so good at this!
    Excellent guests, skilled interviewer, clear and simple format--just grand!
    Thank you so much :emoji_headphones::emoji_trophy:

20. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think MS is too far gone ..he seems to be lost amongst the smoke screens he’s created. He is now tying himself up in knots. Nice that he’s listening though.

The thing I don’t get is what behaviours he thinks are at play? I was tested for depression and anxiety before they gave me a diagnosis ...no problem here? I’m still positive I haven’t lost the plot...what I really need is a treatment that helps me with my ATP, not parlour tricks with no clinical evidence to support them, or even worse clinical evidence that proves they don’t work.

alktipping, Lisa108, Binkie4 and 10 others like this.