1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The ME Show

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Gary Burgess, Apr 21, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Random thoughts

Plenty to cover about children with ME - treating parents as child abusers if they refuse GET - Tymes Trust

Doctors/medical
    Professionals with ME eg Dr Hng diagnosed in 2016 has written ME and ME andhas a Facebook group I’m sure there are others

Dr Keith Geraghty researcher with ME on PACE reanalysis again there are others eg the woman at Newcastle who works with J Newton biomedical research

Severe ME folks - recent cases highlight the way people are mistreated ranging from being ignored to having their wishes ignored must be high on list

Impact on employment
    The chronic illness project Catherine Hale are looking at how the assumptions in the social model of disability affects chronically ill people.

Risks of exercise - this has been known about for many years - MP who had ME and died was regularly using Parliament gym Brynmor John he died on 13 December 1988 so 30 years ago this year

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some suggestions
    Jane colby at Tymes Trust.
    Cara Tomas - young researcher (with julia newton )
    Jonathan Edwards
    Cat Bell ( set up facebook support group for mothers of children with ME and went through significant medical issues both herself, and with her daughter - both are inspirational)
    A GP/ GPs - there are good gps out there, sadly most do not have a clue, but some may wish to learn
    Dr Amalok Bansal before he retires!
    Dr Sarah Myhill ( may be controversial but she is both passionate and supportive) .
    Merryn Crofts family if they are up for it
    Dare i suggest Bob' s family?
    Whilst podcast series can and must be positive, i think that there is also a responsibility to explore the dark reality too, to provide context - especially with the coming perfect storm of IAPT, mental health act revisions, illness categorisations ....

alktipping, janice, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Gary Burgess I think it would be grand at some point to do several segments about the politics of the disease, and the commercial interests driving those politics.

It could be interesting to invite Hillary Johnson on, as she is particularly well-versed in that area, at least stateside, and has written a comprehensive history of it so can provide fluency and detail. That could be followed up by more modern political influences, esp in the UK, including those behind MUS, "evidence-based", "functional", etc--which is a crucially important issue for all human beings in this age of monetization of everything with zero ethics or morality. This has created a dire and increasingly hostile circumstance for all disabled people, and potentially for anyone at all who presents with sympotms the medical establishment cannot--or refuses to--explain or treat.

And yes, when the family is ready, Robert Courtney's story.

alktipping, janice, ahimsa and 10 others like this.
  4. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This.

alktipping, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  5. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I second all of this. The politics of ME is key.

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The political and public relations aspect is the one area we patients failed on (until recently).

Not enough to be right, you also have to convince enough of the rest of the world to make it happen.

8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just submitted review and rating:) You have a good voice for radio @Gary Burgess :thumbup:

9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please don't make it light and fluffy Gary! (I'm not not saying that you would it's just a request...)

We need something for the informed and well read ME patient. People new to ME can learn a lot from this and get up to speed on important issues rather than spending years trying to work out what's wrong.

alktipping, Inara, Sean and 2 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I hope it goes well beyond the ME community - I assume the idea is public education, including, of course, the newly diagnosed or undiagnosed, as well as families, friends, doctors etc.

11. Gary Burgess

Gary Burgess Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks everyone. All feedback appreciated. To answer some specifics: I’ll definitely be covering the politics of it (one of my bugbears) and it’s not a light-and-fluffy podcast. The tone will vary based on guests but it’s not going to be sugar-coated or dumbed down. First one goes live Mon 7 May. Be kind!

alktipping, Joh, MEMarge and 27 others like this.
  12. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would echo this. Make it as public-facing as possible. Frankly we have Twitter and forums to talk about the same issues over and over, I couldn’t really care less about hearing about the same old thing if it’s intended for me. However, making ME an interesting topic for those that aren’t affected by it - much more valuable.

alktipping, inox, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very true.

Good luck with it @Gary Burgess . Well done for getting this off the ground. Well done to the MEA too @Russell Fleming .

:thumbup:

14. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it would be good to highlight something around the difficulties getting insurance of any kind and employment difficulties
    my problems were with the company income protection policy refusing to pay out when I returned to work (UNUM) and then when my employer realised that I wasn’t going to recover they made me redundant.

My home insurance legal cover didn’t pay out either so I couldn’t even take them to tribunal despite my case being very strong with loads of evidence etc.

I want to work and I can if I have reasonable adaptations ...trouble is there is no incentive for anyone to help make that happen ...and they take the medical care away from you as well...so you pretty are left on the scrap heap even when you are a mild case like myself.

This is ironic since the very thing that prevents people “getting back to work” is the fallout from the bps researchers who stated that their intention was to help this?

alktipping, MEMarge, Allele and 11 others like this.
  15. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First episode out today! I’m enjoying it very much so far:thumbup:

alktipping, MEMarge, Inara and 11 others like this.
  16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

First episode: Jen Brea and Robert Saunders (with his song). Very good. Gary Burgess is so professional.

I identified with this from Jen at around the 20 min mark:
    'I knew that if I were to allow myself to feel all the pain and all the grief and all the fear, it would have destroyed me physically.
    I was completely incapable of crying. I mean, I would cry and then I would crash. So it was like 'No crying!'.
    I developed these skills of trying to maintain an even keel and a distance in a way.
    Even to this day I can not fully allow myself to feel everything that I have lost because the weight of that would crush me.'​

17. Gary Burgess

Gary Burgess Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks all. Feeling nervous and excited today now that episode one is out. Please share far and wide on your social media feeds.

You can listen online or subscribe in iTunes. All the links are here: www.meassociation.org.uk/podcast

Thanks all for your encouragement. ❤️

18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A form of pacing in its own right.

19. Anna

Anna Established Member

loved it! looking forward to more :)

alktipping, MEMarge, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  20. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just listened. Good sign is that I found myself not realising nearly an hour had gone by.

Keep up the good work in a calm and measured way of course :thumbup:

alktipping, MEMarge, Hutan and 10 others like this.