1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The influence of the Cochrane review on GET

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An inevitably depressing thread. We need a post that links to all the the good Cochrane posts @Michiel Tack has been doing!

Sean, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 6 others like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Crawley used the Cochrane review to defend one of her trials including GET to the ethics committee when some patients complained about safety. She quoted the number analyzed figure for the whole Cochrane meta analysis even though there was limited harms reporting from most trials.

Sid, MEMarge, Mithriel and 3 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

people criticise politicians for selective or incorrect quoting of statistics. EC isn’t a scientist she’s a politician.

MEMarge, Mithriel, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

There are no guidelines for ME nor CFS in France, where ME/CFS is often not considered as an autonomous entity (some kind of depression, or somatisation, or something close to fibromyalgia).

CFS is mentionned in the Fibromyalgia guidelines (2010) writen by the Haute Autorité de la Santé (HAS).
    Their view on CFS (p.7):
    There is a small part (one page) dedicated to CFS where they refer to the NICE guidelines for CFS (p.64)

There are numerous references to Cochrane reviews, but only for fibromyalgia.

Sean, MSEsperanza, Annamaria and 4 others like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Cheshire

I hope the situation in France will improve, it sounds awfull.

6. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

My personal situation is OK, because I've met understanding doctors, but it's very difficult for a lot of people.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wasn't sure where else to put this but I got it from a Google alert. A "lifestyle blog for healthcare professionals". In the category of "a little knowledge is dangerous", this is a good one. It looks like a content farm, though, not a serious publication.

Ironically, one of the linked papers literally shows the opposite, that "CFS" patients are different from sedentary controls, and as such are in fact not merely sedentary, which is literally the assumption behind the Cochrane review on exercise and the point that is awkwardly attempted to be made here. Impressive circular logic mixed with intellectual laziness.

Of course on PubMed no notice of the issues, review and editor notes of the past year or so. The damage continues because relevant information is not properly propagated. Scientific publication needs serious reform, it's embarrassing that there is no tracking of changes and update alerts. Also noticed the title of the review: "Tired of being inactive". What kind of nonsense is that? Cochrane is seriously very bad at their thing.
    https://www.mdlinx.com/physiciansense/heres-why-youre-always-tired-even-though-youre-healthy/

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Diseases du jour :wtf:

rvallee, chrisb, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does that blog merely demonstrate what was always said = that CFS was intended to include those whose complaint was TATT?

Sean, MEMarge and Trish like this.
  10. rvallee

I'm pretty sure it's just a content mill. One study is from 2011 and the Cochrane review is the 2016 version. Though it's not as if laziness like that was not common in real MD's and it's pretty much run-of-the-mill BPS.

But it did make its way to be relevant on Google and it reinforces misinformation, with Cochrane at fault in some ways.

11. rvallee

Yeah those are always cringeworthy. I remember a few old Wessely articles about ME and other older articles about similar psychosomatic ideas, how they are the talk of the town and how culture affects them because everyone is talking about them. All because the people around them are all involved in the same field. Literally "people are saying" because it is their own field of interest and they interact mainly with like-minded colleagues. Solipsists make very louzy physicians.

alktipping and Snow Leopard like this.
  12. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sly Saint, MEMarge, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.