1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Impact of a Structured Exercise Programme upon Cognitive Function in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients, 2019, Zalewski, Morten, Newton et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[My bold]

When will these people learn to tell their 'arris from their elbow!

Properly diagnosed ME/CFS is not due to to being deconditioned, but there will nonetheless be a correlation/link/association in many cases ... but the causal relationship is the other way round from what they are saying. If you have an illness that renders you incapable of exercising properly, then guess what ... you are at risk of becoming deconditioned. So of course there will be a correlation. If having a cold makes you snotty, sticking a hair dryer up your nose to dry it out is not going to cure your cold!

And the potential for improved test responses with practice, means that healthy controls need to also be checked to see how their results change with practice.

Frankie, MEMarge, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Lack of control + 50% drop-out rate + insignificant difference after corrections = no demonstrated benefit

Frankie, MEMarge, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very disappointing.

It seems that the sole ME/CFS research team in Poland is prescribing GET based on the deconditioning theory to all ME/CFS patients that come to their centre. And they do not seem to make an effort to obtain reliable data out of this.

As has been noted by others here, there was no control group which means that any improvement could be due to regression to the mean or patients learning to do the test better. And none of the improvements were statistically significant compared to baseline if corrections for multiply comparisons (Benjamin Hochberg) were applied. So there is really nothing to see here. Yet the authors claim: "our results support the idea of the effectiveness of such activity therapies in remediating clinical cognitive status in ME/CFS patients."

The one interesting bit of information is that ME/CFS patients in Poland also seem to experience PEM and that many think that exercise testing or programs may negatively impact their health. I suspect that many of these patients will not have been in contact with patient organisation distributing such information (except perhaps English sources online). So that may indicate that they had developed these impressions based on their own experience with ME/CFS.

4. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldnt agree more.

J.G, MEMarge, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Michelle, Kitty, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"ME Journal Club - July

This month the chosen study was “The Impact of a Structured Exercise Programme upon Cognitive Function in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients” (Zalewski et al, 2019).

Quick summary
    • People with ME showed improved visual attention following a 16 week exercise programme.
    However…
    • None of the statistically significant results survived after FDR correction
    • Only 64% of participants were able to complete the programme."
    https://www.physiosforme.com/post/me-journal-club-july

Michelle, Simon M, Sean and 4 others like this.
  8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So if they found anything worthwhile it was that cognitive function improves alongside physical function. ME makes both worse so a let up in ME will make both better.