1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guardian's Science Weekly podcast - 2 November 2018 - What role should the public play in science?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sarah, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I think it would be a very bad idea to do this live (either actually live, or pre-recorded). It is too easy for dishonest people to mislead in real time, and too hard for honest people to rebut.

Better to do it as an exchange of written responses (plus graphics) over 2-3 months. That advice applies to both patients and non-patients.

Whatever tactics you use against these guys must allow for the fact that they know how to thoroughly muddy the waters, and have no hesitation or remorse about doing so.

4. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks so much for the transcript, @Sly Saint! So helpful.

Dolphin, rvallee, andypants and 6 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From his opening sentence you could tell that Ian Sample was going to present a selective view.

"In May activists rallied in New York"

So no mention that this was ME awareness day, that similar protests were taking place in 100 cities across the world, that thousands of pairs of shoes were lined up, representing all the other 'activists' who were too ill to attend.

"MS: the term ME stands for myalgic encephalomyelitis. This term was coined in the 1950’s to describe an epidemic of symptoms in the staff of the Royal Free Hospital which occurred during a polio epidemic"

So no mention of "The name chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) was coined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) following an outbreak of a flu-like illness at Incline Village, at Lake Tahoe, in the 1980s."

Michael Sharpe has almost word for word used the line about 'the term ME' from the journalists primer on ME-pedia:
    https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Primer_for_journalists

I suggest people tweet/send this link to Ian Sample and any other journalists who might be considering doing a 'piece' on ME/CFS.......they might learn something.

Simone, Lisa108, Forbin and 8 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see that Ian Sample has a PhD in biomedical materials from Queen Mary's London. I'm trying to remember why the name of that institution rings a bell.

Graham, JemPD, Kafka and 15 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, Inara, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Seems The Guardian is not one big happy family.

Anybody here have any contacts on The Guardian's US staff?

:whistle:

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe just says stuff he thinks suits the message he wants to provide, regardless of the facts. He's been caught out making misleading/wrong statements to the media before too.

Both the depression and genetics stuff are equivocal, there is some familial association but that could be due to environmental exposures as much as any other factor (infections perhaps?).

Hmm... I got it, no wait, hmm, it's a headscratcher alright! ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

omg! It's a conspiracy! Seriously though - please don't do this. Just because QMUL hold the data and employed one of the researchers, doesn't mean that everyone who ever worked or studied there is somehow culpable in this. (I know it was probably said in jest - but just saying)

12. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can’t listen t this being presented as fact. If the BPS lot would engage in debate rather than manipulate chances to present their story unchallenged I would have some more respect. Simple test really - will you debate your side with the other or with scientists who disageee with you, no , why.

JemPD, Simone, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  13. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having just listened after all to this gross distortion, two things I noted. Didn’t sharpe claim the royal free outbreak was polio ? And I note he was quoting researchers in Denmark getting harassed, people like per fink no doubt I wonder why, for lucking up young women , but said to a lesser extent USA. Isn’t it obvious it is to a lesser extent USA because there are less powerful BPS people dominating the field there and the USA aren’t endorsing the Michael sharpe approach. He also seemed very keen to keep ME and CFS as possibly distinct. I’d like to ask if it turns out they are, certainly ME complex severe distinct from Oxford fatigue, what has the UK done for ME patients since his involvement in the 90s. I’d also ask if he’d had a bedridden daughter since the 90s , does he think she has been well served by his BPS CFS narrative and it’s dominance in terms of nhs approach in the uk.
    The woman wasn’t knowledgeable enough to understand why CBT get was the only treatment with any evidence.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    JemPD, mango, andypants and 3 others like this.
  14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think he said that it occurred during an outbreak of polio, which is, I think, correct. I don't think he claimed that the Royal Free cases were due to polio, though those unfamiliar with the case might infer that.

Simone, Manganus, andypants and 3 others like this.
  15. Lucibee

I might have just written a strongly worded letter to The Guardian...

Binkie4, Skycloud, TiredSam and 20 others like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Lucibee

Just remember that MS has blocked anyone who has made reasonable arguments to him. These won't show up to anyone viewing his feed.

Now see this:
    msharpe_3nov2018_1.png

I'm sorry, but incandescent does not adequately describe how I feel right now... :emoji_fire:

18. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL certainly hope not as I am an alumna of QMUL - wrote and told the principal or vice - forget which - how I was now ashamed to admit it.

Graham, JemPD, MSEsperanza and 10 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does Michael Sharpe really not know that the person whose complaint sparked this episode was so ill that he is no longer with us? Or that the successful FoI request that has shed some light on things came from someone who has since been too ill to communicate with others?

I have made a decision at present not to get involved in this sort of stuff but for a psychiatrist to behave like this is simply pathological. Psychiatrists are supposed to have respect and sympathy for people in distress.

20. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this should be tweeted to him....anyone able to do this?

Indigophoton, rvallee, Hutan and 3 others like this.