1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds cogent. The pangolin virus might have got played with or there might be coincidence but the simplest explanation looks plausible. Might be good news for pangolins.

TrixieStix, FMMM1 and Daisybell like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps it is a novel bat virus, evolved through zoonotic transmission to pangolins (recombination with some pangolin virus components) and back?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    TrixieStix likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they could do with some good news right now.

Subtropical Island, Hutan and mango like this.
  4. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The FDA issued approval for "Investigational COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma - Emergency INDs" on March 24th.
    https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-...l-covid-19-convalescent-plasma-emergency-inds

DokaGirl and Perrier like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sajadi et al. Temperature, Humidity and Latitude Analysis to Predict Potential Spread and Seasonality for COVID-19.

Thought this was interesting. The authors write: "The distribution of significant community outbreaks along restricted latitude, temperature, and humidity are consistent with the behavior of a seasonal respiratory virus."

upload_2020-3-26_22-16-14.png

Another study by Wang et al. suggested that high temperature and high humidity reduce the transmission of COVID-19.

Might be a bit of wishful thinking but I'm still hoping that the virus will be less virulent in the summer months.

Daisymay, spinoza577, Forbin and 7 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I hope that chart is telling the correct story (and that warmer temperatures limit community outbreaks). Unfortunately I suspect that it might just be that the identified community outbreaks are where there are more medical services and governments communicating more transparently in the early stages of an outbreak.

See for example this report in the Guardian about Indonesia:
    Indonesia’s hidden coronavirus cases threaten to overwhelm hospitals

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Any advantage offered by warm humid weather can be negated by other factors, like poor government responses, inadequate healthcare systems, and other factors, like large numbers of people living in close proximity.

Sadly, Indonesia has all those factors in play. I fear they are going to pay a particularly high price. :(

9. Snow Leopard

Indeed.

I worry about the most densely populated developing countries like India and Bangladesh!

10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Philippines too, and probably most of SE Asia.

Daisymay, FMMM1 and Hutan like this.
  11. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Preprint (not peer reviewed), open access
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.20031096v2

Relationship between the ABO Blood Group and the COVID-19 Susceptibility

Jiao Zhao (and many more), 27 March 2020

Chinese study on Chinese patients - blood group distribution differs by ethnicity; wikipedia lists 4 different ethnicities within China (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country) but my geography is too poor to know if this is relevant for the cohorts in this study.

Just my luck: I'm an A.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's amazing, considering how many blood tests I've had over the years, that I have no idea what my blood type is. Looking over the blood test reports, not one of them indicates blood type.

I imagine it's a special test, which may not have much utility unless you need a transfusion. I'm sure that you get blood typed if you go into the military, and it goes on your dog tags, for obvious reasons.

Simbindi and ukxmrv like this.
  13. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Comment on this by O' Reily et al. Effective transmission across the globe: the role of climate in COVID-19 mitigation strategies. https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/current-patterns-transmission/role-of-climate.html

The authors write:
    In my view, the fact that it spreads to warmer and more humid places as well isn't really in contradiction to the idea that the virus is most potent and dangerous in a certain climatic zone. If I'm not mistaken, the flu happens around the equator as well but simply less so than it in the north where it does show seasonality.

It should be possible to estimate this: start with the outbreak in Wuhan, look at travel and transport data from Wuhan to elsewhere in the world and then look at the number of COVID-19 cases/per travel from Wuhan in different cities/regions. Then one should be able to estimate if regions in a certain climatic zone have statistically significant more cases than others.

14. Jonathan Edwards

My take on the distribution of hotspots along the green line of temperate climate is that this line indicates the zone of the globe that is most conducive to the proliferation of the human species as long as it lives close together indoors in spaces with recycled air. The species does quite well in subSaharan Africa and Neotropics but more often living in open air much of the time. Nothing to do with viruses.

15. MarcNotMark

MarcNotMark Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Detect Covid-19 in as little as 5 minutes:
    https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...etect-covid-19-in-as-little-as-5-minutes.html

Simbindi, Roy S, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

It's a rapid nucleotide test (it's a repurposing of their rapid Flu test for the specific nucleotide sequences of SARS-Cov-2), so it should be of reasonable accuracy. But I'm still sceptical of all tests that do not publish studies on sensitivity and specificity.

Sean, Daisybell, Leila and 3 others like this.
  17. Ravn

This could come in useful given one major reason for not testing more people is a shortage of reagents to perform the tests. In a different (Danish news) piece it was reported that they tested the new method against the existing one and got the same result in 97 out of 100 tests. Not perfect but better than no tests because of the reagent shortages.
    https://en.ssi.dk/news/news/2020/03-ssi--solves-essential-covid19-testing-deficiency-problem

Simbindi, Leila and Trish like this.
  18. Ravn

I don't think it's a routine test. I was tested prior to an operation where they thought I might need a transfusion (I didn't in the end).

Simbindi, Trish and Forbin like this.
  19. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A number of posts about vaccine development and also about lung function have been moved here from the Worldwide spread and control thread.
    Says here that "no RNA vaccine has ever been licensed" [https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/rna-vaccines-are-coronavirus-frontrunners/4011326.article].

I think Ian Lipkin mentions the development of an "RNA vaccine" in his talk @Jonathan Edwards @Snow Leopard any views on how feasible this is?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2020
  20. Jonathan Edwards

I don't know the practical details of this as it is not my area. What I get from my nephew Al Edwards, who IS in this area, is that nobody has a proven method to take off the shelf. I would personally be surprised if a vaccine containing RNA was good - RNA is unstable. What I have heard is the suggestion of using a benign viral vector to infect human cells that carries the DNA that matches the SARS-2 RNA for something like spike protein. This would be a DNA vaccine but would work by switching on the same protein manufacture as the virus does.

A lot of the problem seems to be getting a method that infects 'spare' cells like muscle cells and gets them to produce the right amount of antigen - not too much , not too little. Muscle cells have been infected with DNA using viral vectors but nobody seems to know how easy it will be to do that with virus proteins.

TrixieStix, Barry, Michelle and 3 others like this.