1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i am sorry, i do not understand your second and third sentences.

my only concerns about evusheld are wehther they are anything like scig or ivig in which case they could be dangerous for me. also it is not commonly used like vaccines so not much data, and no reports from pwme.

===

Immunoglobulins seem to be a promising treatment for many of
    my health issues, so I tried SCIG, starting at a low initial
    dose (0.5mg-0.75mg) to be conservative. (This is nothing
    like normal doses, much less autoimmune doses.)

SCIG at this dose caused headaches for unusually long
    period, causing us to stop it. possibly weeks.

The headaches were top of head or whole head. Head movement
    did not change their intensity. Once at maximum intensity,
    their intensity was totally constant and never increased. I
    call them "vice-like" as if head in a vice.

My doctor stopped the SCIG at that tiny dose. she thought aseptic meningitis, but i didn't have other symptoms i think.

alktipping, cfsandmore and duncan like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Samuel , my bad. No worries. I am tone deaf when it comes to the written word. Which is why I limit what I post anymore.

alktipping, MeSci and Samuel like this.
  3. Samuel

interval between first and second shots seems to vary. some sources say 3w for pfizer 4w for moderna while others seem to say 8w for moderna unless exceptions.

Peter Trewhitt and duncan like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2022
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mithriel, alktipping, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you are going to be getting ongoing boosters, 3/4 weeks is best for the second shot -extending the germinal centre kinetics and leading to increased diversity of antibodies.

Mithriel, alktipping, Samuel and 3 others like this.
  7. Samuel

interesting. for clarity, sounds like you are saying, given this mrna nomenclature:

- shot 1
    - shot 2 [this is apparently called "fully vaccinated" in the usa at least]
    - booster 1..n [further shots after shots 1 and 2]

that shot 2 should be 3-4 weeks after shot 1, IF intending ongoing boosters, but if no plan for ongoing boosters then possibly 8w.?

but i probably will not know whether i will do boosters in advance. depends on reactions to shots and any evusheld answers/avail.

8. Snow Leopard

Taking the 2nd shot at 8-12 weeks leads to higher short term antibody titre, because it mostly acts like a booster (expansion of existing immunity), rather than a continuation of the initial exposure.

The more neutralising antibodies you have, the more antigens that will be cleared out by the immune system, rather than used in germinal centres to train B-cells for greater diversity. This is partly why there is a delay in production in antibodies upon naive exposure, compared to subsequent exposures - producing too many 2nd rate antibodies too soon would interfere with developing highly neutralising antibodies.

But if you are going to be boosted with a 3rd shot at 3 months anyway I'd suggest the shorter interval for greater protection over time.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a paper on Covid toes published a few weeks ago, by Iwasaki, but can't find it. It only looked for biomarkers in the blood. Here is a single case study but it found what was basically expected: thrombotic vasculopathy. Biopsies are a serious limitation but medicine really has to accept that the blood does not hold all the answers. It's as if it's too convenient, almost like searching under the streetlamp because that's where the light is.

Histopathology of Persistent Long COVID Toe: A Case Report
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cup.14240

During the 2020 coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) pandemic, several cutaneous lesions were identified, including: pseudo-chilblain, vesicular, urticarial, maculopapular, and livedo/necrosis. A 59-year-old obese man with probable COVID-19 developed painful cyanosis with histopathologic capillary thrombosis of toes, and the cyanosis persisted for nearly 22 months. Shortly after initial exposure to family members with documented SARS-CoV-2, he developed upper respiratory symptoms, yet his anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody and nasal swab RT-PCR tests were repeatedly negative. Two family members were hospitalized and one of them succumbed with documented SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia within ten days of exposure. Biopsy of the distal toe 16 weeks after initial exposure demonstrated papillary dermal capillary thrombosis with endothelial swelling, telangiectasia, and peri-eccrine lymphocytic infiltrates resembling pernio. Overall, this is the first case of biopsy of “long COVID toe” following presumed SARS-Cov-2 exposure, with demonstration of thrombotic vasculopathy, toe cyanosis, and pernio-like pathology.​

Pernio here is the medical term for chilblains. As someone who lives in an area with cold winters, I assure you that walking barefoot on cold floors cannot cause this. It was a bad idea to include this speculatively, some newspapers ran with it in the headline, FFS.

Amw66, Snow Leopard, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  10. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've got an update on all those new Covid-19 symptoms which have just magically appeared, but can't find the "symptoms" thread. Can anyone help, please? The search didn't seem to bring it up.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  11. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Wits_End

No, there was a separate "symptoms" thread.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  13. Amw66

rvallee, Wyva, mango and 1 other person like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan, Wits_End and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Amw66

Also alerts for scarlet fever and chickenpox .

16. Wits_End

Hutan and Trish like this.
  17. Wits_End

Interestingly, I've just been online to register the result of my negative test. You know, that registration that the government is so keen that we do after every test so they can keep track of how the disease is progressing? Well, the wording seems to have changed over the past few days: apparently the government is no longer interested in results of LFTs if they have been supplied by private companies - seemingly only those done on the free LFTs are of any interest. That'll really help them keep track. Go figure.

18. Amw66

Danny Altmann on long COVID
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/16/vaccines-long-covid-science

From article
    This is now a highly infectious, upper-respiratory virus able to reinfect repeatedly – an outcome that wasn’t expected early in the pandemic. If we renege on mitigations as each round of infection draws more of all ages into chronic disability, this may be the blunder that we rue for decades to come. Even after the original wave of lockdowns and deaths has become a distantly remembered nightmare

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well this isn't true. Most didn't expect it, even though they clearly should have, making this a clear failure of expertise. Some did, mostly based on other coronaviruses, as this seems to be a feature of the family. But especially so, the strategy of maximum infections is guaranteed to lead to variants, so even if it could be true with proper mitigation, the return to normal at all costs guarantees failure.

And given how many people don't have any respiratory symptoms, it doesn't make much sense to keep referring to it as a respiratory virus. It's the primary point of access but it's not like it has to comply and only enter this way. With many experiencing only GI symptoms, it likely entered their body from the GI tract.

I really expect better of experts. This whole "I didn't expect therefore no one could have known" shtick is really old and tired, especially given some of the alarms were quite explicit (and documented) about how much herd immunity was a pipe dream all along. Telling the truth really is a radical act.

20. Snow Leopard

Has persistent thrombosis even been shown in LongCOVID patients 1+ years after infection? There seems to be a lot of assumptions being made in that Twitter thread.

Some studies have shown the persistence of viral fragments in the gut several months after infection, but this is not the same as demonstrating an active infection.

Secondly, it is surprising to me to learn that apparently some medical doctors do not know that the purpose of thromboses is compartmentalisation and this is driven by the formation of immune complexes.

Hutan, FMMM1, Amw66 and 3 others like this.