1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Lilas

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well after the Moderna and wish you a full recovery soon. A couple of friends (non M.E) have had a stronger reaction to Moderna for a couple of days after the jab.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, a booster means more of the same. All of the current mRNA & viral Vector vaccines still use more or less the same (ancestral) spike protein. Pfizer vs Moderna in particular, there isn't much difference besides some variation in effective dosage of the spike protein itself.

MeSci, FMMM1, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But those of us who were originally given AstraZeneca were given a different booster.

Binkie4, Trish, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Why do I feel like this thread is going to go on for another 3-4 years?

2025:

Well, today I booked my home visit for my 19th jab . . .

Wyva, 5vforest, Lilas and 11 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This virus is obviously one which mutates easily so I expect that it will be case of getting your covid jag alongside your flu jab every year. People with ME may have to fight to get them in the same way it is for flu. The risks we face from a viral infection needs to be acknowledged by the medical profession so we are always offered them and then have a personal choice over whether to get them or not.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I finally got brave and had my booster shot this morning. After talking with my doctor we decided that the Pfizer might be better for me as I had adverse-reactions to both Moderna shots. So now the wait begins. I feel fine now, but I'll have to wait and see how the next months goes. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Missense, Trish, Wyva and 21 others like this.
  7. Mij

8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hoping for the very best result for you @TigerLilea

Midnattsol, Binkie4, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  9. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wyva, Midnattsol, AliceLily and 8 others like this.
  10. Mij

Just received my 3rd dose, Moderna this time.

MeSci, cfsandmore, Sean and 8 others like this.
  11. Mij

I was interested in the shingles vaccine, so I asked the nurses today during my home visit if this service was available for other vaccines. They said no and that other homebound patients have been asking as well.

They really enjoy meeting patients at home and hope homebound services will continue after Covid for other vaccines.

12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really don't understand why this service isn't more common for disabled people!?!

Missense, Amw66, Wits_End and 9 others like this.
  13. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also got my booster today, also Moderna after 2 Pfizer. Nothing to report so far.

Edit to add: 12 hours later, a sore arm. Totally expected. But i wanted to mention how accommodating the vaccine center was, it was in a field hockey rink (no ice). There were 3 different line ups that people had to go through in order to reach a table to get the shot, and i was not feeling well enough to stand in line. The 2 previous time, there was no wait at all. So I told the traffic controller that i could not stand all that long due to a disability and could i please sit and wait for my turn somewhere ? That worked like a charm. I skipped line 2 and 3 and was directed to the chair where i received my vaccine. Quite a relief.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Missense, Binkie4, cfsandmore and 7 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I guess it's because of the cost.

15. Mij

What I really appreciated was that they didn't ask me to give details of my illness when I called to book my first appointment last summer. It was stress free.

If there's a fourth dose they will call me.

Missense, Binkie4, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@TigerLilea I'm wondering how you're doing now? no pressure to reply, just thinking of you

Binkie4, TigerLilea, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  17. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for asking, JemPD. I haven't recovered yet since having the 2nd vaccine in July. I am slightly better in that I can now get out and do yard work for about 10 minutes, but that is about it. I'm still not able to work. The exhaustion, brain fog, and PEM are much worse than I've ever experienced in the 30 years that I've had ME.

I had the booster shot on Tuesday so time will tell if it makes my ME any worse. I had the Pfizer this time and my doctor and I are hoping that I won't get the same reactions as I experienced with the two Modernas. I'll keep everyone updated as to how it goes.

Thanks for thinking of me! :hug:

shak8, Lilas, Mij and 8 others like this.
  18. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i can't figure wnough out either and it is getting serious as i am keeping down dental abscess with abx for a long time now. i want v. but i can't find out enough and my doctor does not seem to know about m.e. or my angioedema.

> Check c19vaxreactions.com the mRNAs seem much worse making over 80% of reactions.

maybe my browser but i can't make head or tails of that site. i can't tell if disinformation / antivax or not. cnanot concentrate. but the letter from the senate [from one senator] talked about a few hundred victims. which sounds like it should not affect our decision.

https://www.howbadismybatch.com/ is another. i strongly suspect that that one is antivax. cannot concentrate enough.

i need to know what to do for bedridden m.e. and if mrna v ingredients are soap-related. non-histaminergic angioedema of type seemingly not covered in uptodate. glycerin in coq10 capsules does not produce reaction.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  19. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you get the tooth repaired or removed? Long term abx is trouble, possibly big trouble. If your doc knows nothing about M.E in 2021, you need a new doc.

c19vaxreactions, howbad… I’ve never heard of either websites you mention. The domain names are very specific, single topic names, the sort of thing used for a campaign and not a general interest blog or medical site. It’s the sorta thing used to sell magnetic bracelets, coral calcium, etc.

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and Milo like this.
  20. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the point of abx was to put off extraction or repair until end of delta but omicron arrived without delta going down. my doctor said to get v would be tempting fate. thus he prescribed abx.

his emails are kind of a different person from himself. maybe he forgets my case or has to say things in email he canoot over phone or something. a more recent email says get fuloly v before dentist without any futher description. a new doc is not possible as i am bedridden. he is a caring doctor but knows nothing about m.e. or angioedema and he says he is getting old.

maybe i can try to make my nose breathable and fit a surgical mask over it with tape.

ETA: removed a senetnce that made it seem like my doctor described the dental thing when that was me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022