1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

in my country/county they have a window for housebound/bedridden vaccinations. something like 9am-4pm or 9am-6pm. you cannot specify when. they just come sometime.

for sleep reasons, if i were woken at a time earlier than my body at that time can deal with, it would destroy me. this occurred with a mobile dentist and idk if i ever recovered.

my sleep recently has been frequently such that i am only awake and supine with lights on for about 2h per day. and it is hard to predict when that will be, or if it will be a couple of more hours.

some disabilities are more equal than others? circadian-related ones equal to zero here.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  2. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4, AliceLily, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't posted any vaccination experiences before. I was late in taking up vaccination.

What eventually persuaded me to get vaccinated was the fact that I've been invited to stay with relatives in Spain later this year so I knew I would most likely need a Covid passport. I haven't been abroad for years so I didn't want to miss it even if it makes my usual symptoms worse. Another thing that persuaded me was catching what I assume was the Delta variety of Covid in November last year and it was very unpleasant. My lungs haven't completely recovered from the experience. Also my "normal" temperature is much higher than it has been most of my life since recovering from Covid - I still haven't decided whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

My first vaccination was given in January, my second was given in February. I think I can get a booster this month.

Both vaccines I had were Moderna.

The first caused pain in my arm which took about a week to go away, but apart from that was almost a non-event.

The second was a different kettle of fish and it made me feel awful. It was like having Covid again - my temperature went up to nearly 102 F, I was sweating profusely, felt hot then cold repeatedly, started coughing again. I had muscle pain, headaches, no appetite. I felt this way for about 2 days, but it went very quickly after that, so in that respect it was more like having flu than Covid.

I haven't decided whether to have Moderna again or whether to switch to some other vaccine. Nor do I know if I will even be given a choice.

Binkie4, MeSci, Sean and 10 others like this.
  4. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After lobbying by our national patient/clinician body in Aotearoa/NZ (ANZMES), People who have not had the recommended Pfizer vaccinations because of concern it will worsen their ME, or have experienced side effects that have made them reluctant to continue to full vaccination, now have approval by the Ministry of Health to receive low dose Pfizer vaccine (10mg) as first, second or booster, as per a new vaccination schedule approved by the Immunisation Advisory Centre. It is dependent on agreement by their GP (and a diagnosis of ME/CFS as per IOM criteria). If GP’s have queries they can consult with Dr Anna Brooks, Immunologist at Auckland University, ANZMES clinicians or IMAC.

The MOH are unable to fund a full clinical trial into the seroconversion of pwME with low dose Pfizer as requested by pwME/ANZMES but Dr Brooks, with crowdfunding and ANZMES donation is investigating a revised research study that would assess immunity at any stage of the vaccination process yet would still produce relevant data. Dr. Brooks would also track vaccine side effects should these occur.

I did intend to be part of the original trial with a low dose due to a having a reaction to my first dose (bursitis) and delayed my second vaccination by a month due to already being in a relapse of my ME (as per ANZMES/MOH advice) but due to the outbreak of delta and then omicron (and NZ moving away from an elimination strategy following mass vaccination), I went ahead and had my second dose and booster, 3 months later, without worsening of ME or concerning side effects.

NZ has introduced a fourth dose booster for severely immunocompromised people. It has not yet been approved for use in other clinically vulnerable groups. Non-mRNA vaccines are available but have not been used by people who refused Pfizer and vaccine mandates have now been lifted. Focus is on vaccination of children 5-18, many are now fully vaccinated but lagging compared to adult rates.

Binkie4, Wits_End, AliceLily and 13 others like this.
  5. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yippee! :angel: I'm relieved, because 24 hours later after receiving my 4th vaccine, I only have a sore arm. So nothing compared to my 3rd (Moderna) whose effects were so painful as I previously testified in this thread. This time I was able to choose and "jumped" on Pfizer.

Ariel, MeSci, Sean and 11 others like this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I jumped on Pfizer for my 3rd shot and I'm paying for it now. I have developed vertigo with this vaccine and the neuropathy is much worse than what I experienced with Moderna. My fatigue has gone from being exhausted all of the time to I could sleep all of the time. :emoji_sleeping:

I'm done with mRNA vaccines. :emoji_tired_face:

Lou B Lou, Ariel, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  7. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so sorry for you, @TigerLilea. :emoji_crying_cat_face: I sincerely hope it gets better for you.:emoji_blossom:
    In fact, I know that we can't really predict the reaction that our body will have, it's just that I was taking a chance.

Ariel, MeSci, TigerLilea and 8 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Snow Leopard, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  9. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invalid: The less we are believed, the more it hurts.

Wits_End, Lilas, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  11. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

12. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's been six months since my 1st Covid Pfizer booster shot so I decided to see if I could do a walk in at my local pharmacy today. No problems, managed get my 2nd booster (4th dose) vaccination straight away.

Will update in the next few days.

Edit: to add Pfizer and 4th dose.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    Hutan, Mij, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Booked in for my 2nd booster (4th shot overall) at the end of the month at a local pharmacy. That will make it 7 months since my 1st booster.

An encouraging comment from the guy taking the booking was that they had been flooded with bookings from the moment they started taking them on Monday morning. The phone has not stopped ringing since then.

Still masking up when I go out. Especially as BA.5 is running wild at the moment in Australia.

14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thats interesting @Rosie do you mind my asking what country you're in. I not sure what the situation is in uk

AliceLily, Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  15. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can determine, the current rules suggest that unless I am in a specific category, which I seemingly was for the 3d jab (1st booster) but it seems i am not for the 4th jab (2nd booster) then I will not be entitled to another booster until I am 75 - 19 years from now.

Which is 'nice'.

Wyva, Hutan, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  16. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I am in the same position as you. I had my last injection (3rd jab), last December, and it is likely that any protection it might provide for the current Omicron variants will be waning fast. Though I do have an advantage over you @Wonko as I only need to wait a trifling eleven years to be eligible for the fourth injection on the basis of age.

I am aware of other people here in the UK, officially categorised as high risk, who are on their fifth jab. I am wondering if I should contact my doctor’s surgery, but I don’t think they would be able to do anything. Perhaps I should look into the possibility of paying for a further booster?

Wyva, Hutan, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looking on line it seems that here in the UK vaccines are only available in line with the government guidelines, so the fourth shot (second booster) is only available for those classified as at high risk or over 75.

JemPD, AliceLily and Wonko like this.
  18. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JemPD I'm in New Zealand.

I'll link to a page that has information on second boosters for New Zealanders. Just scroll down to the 'Second Boosters' : Booster Doses and Second Booster Doses | The Immunisation Advisory Centre (immune.org.nz)

I"m 58 years old and feel at risk with an underlying lung condition. I didn't have to explain that though. No questions were asked when I walked in and asked if I could have the second shot.

Here's another link for informhttps://www.health.govt.nz/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-vaccine-boosters#additionalation:

Ariel, Wyva, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thats great @Rosie

I think i am in same position as Peter & Wonko, sadly.

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think people in the UK will probably be offered their next booster in the autumn. Those in the southern hemisphere are presumably having their autumn/winter booster.