1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The UK is supposed to provide home visit dentists for people who are completely bedridden. Maybe worth asking your doctor or dentist.

2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it’d be a good idea to speak to GP about arranging vaccination in a hospital. People who have severe allergies / adverse reactions are often vaccinated in a hospital setting so that if anything happens, eg if you get an angioedema attack, they can treat you immediately.

@Trish as far as I know, dentists who do home visits can’t do teeth extraction in home settings. I’ve been having home visits for a few years now from the community dentist.. they can only really have a look at your teeth and advise what may need to be done. But the treatment - extraction, X-rays, fillings, they asked me to go into the clinic (or would need to go into a hospital setting in particular cases).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  3. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm taking my 4th vaccine today. Is anyone still interested in these experiences (if it is better or worse than the previous ones) or has everyone already formed an opinion by now?

Ariel, cfsandmore, AliceLily and 9 others like this.
  4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still interested! Good luck :heart:

Ariel, Nellie, AliceLily and 7 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Still very much interested.

Ariel, AliceLily, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So am I.

Ariel, AliceLily, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too. The variation in responses is interesting and perplexing.

I can't help but envy those who have straightforward responses and an easy decision to have the next vacccine. I am due my fourth vaccine but cannot face it after three very different significant adverse responses. Fortunately my GP has decided I shouldn't have it because it would be "dangerous". It's not a comfortable position to be in: am hoping that it will be recognised at some point and there will be more formal interest.

8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if our reaction to vaccines varies where we are at in the course of our ME. Some twenty years ago, when my ME was just moderate, I stopped having flue jabs because they would result in three weeks in bed and as I no longer working I could at least avoid anyone with symptoms. However with the first three Covid shots I had a sharp short negative response feeling really bad for a few days, then was fine. I also risked a flue jab late last year and had no negative response at all.

cfsandmore, AliceLily, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4th?? We've only had 3 vaccines here in Canada.

10. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here in the UK people considered at high risk, those seen as imuno-compromised, are being offered a fourth vaccine (now called the booster) three months after their third jab. As always this generally is not including people with ME, unless they have proactive GPs or manage to put up an exceptional fight.

Added:

Government guidelines - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...-people-with-severely-weakened-immune-system/

MEA commentary - I read something they published on this but can’t find it again?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    cfsandmore, AliceLily, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  11. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I stayed away from having any vaccines of any kind for the last 30 years since M.E, but after having 3 Covid jabs (x2 Pfizer x1 Moderna) with zero reaction, I feel a lot more confident now going for other vaccines.

12. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@TigerLilea, even in Canada, there are Provinces that offer a 4th dose for a particularly vulnerable target clientele:

" 4th dose for immunocompromised, immunosuppressed or dialysis patients
    The immunocompromised, immunosuppressed or dialysis person has a much higher risk of presenting very serious complications if they have COVID. If you are one of these people, getting four doses of the COVID vaccine is very important to maintain your health."

https://www.cisssca.com/vaccination-covid-19/vaccination-covid-pour-la-population/ (french)

cfsandmore, AliceLily, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  13. TigerLilea

I had heard that immunocompromised people in Canada would be eligible at some point for a 4th shot, but I haven't heard anything further since then so assumed that it hadn't happened yet. I'm immunocompromised so I'm surprised that I haven't been notified as for the other three shots I got notification as soon as they were available.

AliceLily, MeSci, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  14. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4th vaccine experience

First, my vaccine reaction history so far: I had 2 doses of AZ, then a Pfizer. I had very strong but normal vaccine reactions (brutal headache, feeling feverish and ill, chills, loss of appetite, nausea, the whole range really) for 1-2 days. This was a little bit milder with each vaccine.

4th vaccine: Pfizer. My reaction was at least as strong, probably even stronger than with the 3rd vaccine. My symptoms weren’t as bad as they could have been, but I still felt very groggy and ill and useless for two days and had to sleep a lot. This is my 3rd day and I still have symptoms, although now I think it’s a mix of the now milder vaccine effects and a worse day in my ME/CFS symptoms. The line between the two is getting a bit blurry.

So it looks like I always have a strong reaction, which is still considered normal though. So far no serious relapses (if it changes, I’ll let you know but I don’t expect that).

If someone is interested in my "immune profile" for comparison or for whatever reason, here it is. (Although I’m not even sure if it makes too much sense.)

Yes, there are a few countries that made the 3rd and 4th vaccines available earlier than others (Israel too, for example). I got my 3rd one in August. You can get the 4th if you are over 18 and 4 months after your 3rd. In theory the doctors administering the vaccine may want to consult with your GP, but in practice I don’t think anyone does that. I’m happy to be a guinea pig if the next one arrives earlier here again.

cfsandmore, AliceLily, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I've made a poll about Covid-19 vaccination experiences:
    Poll - Effect of Covid-19 vaccination on people with ME/CFS

16. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards I'm not asking for medical advice, I'd just be interested in your thoughts about this in general.

In a hypothetical scenario, if you were about to start treating one of your patients with Rituximab, how many weeks (if any) would you wait after the patient had their booster/fourth dose of covid-19 vaccine, before giving them their first Rituximab infusion, and why?

Let's say this hypothetical person most likely does not have ME, they are being treated for a completely different diagnosis.

(I'm not the person in the hypothetical scenario. I'm just curious. The recommendations here in Sweden differ a lot depending on who you ask.)

Peter Trewhitt and cfsandmore like this.
  17. TigerLilea

I thought that I had got lucky this time as I didn't have any adverse reactions to the booster shot (Pfizer) at four weeks post vaccine. Well here I am two weeks later and I'm close to being bedbound again for the third time. I feel like I have the flu but I don't have a temperature or any respiratory symptoms. The fatigue is overwhelming, I have no appetite, the leg and arm weakness is back, my legs feel like they are vibrating all of the time, and the neuropathy is back again with the skin burning. I've noticed that the reaction is more delayed with each vaccine. The first time it took five days and lasted for five weeks. After the second vaccine it took four weeks for the reaction and lasted for close to five months before I felt slightly better. Now after the third vaccine it took six weeks. I just hope that it doesn't take as long to recover from as it did for the second vaccine. I definitely won't be getting a mRNA vaccine again.

18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AliceLily, Ariel, Binkie4 and 10 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I had a booster vaccination 2 days ago.

My vaccination history so far is:

AZ vaccine - mild sympoms for a day or so, slight temp increase

3 months later - AZ - mild for a day or so again

7 months later - Pfizer - increased muscle pain/prickling sensation for a couple of days

5 months later - Pfizer booster - slight temp increase for half a day yesterday, same sort of increased muscle pain/prickling sensation as last time and slept really badly last night, feeling generally more unwell than usual.

In the UK the government announced this extra springtime booster would only be for over 75's and the extremely clinically vulnerable. So when I was offered it I was surprised as I'm 72 and not classed as extremely vulnerable. I was told they are doing housebound people as well.

So now I have to try to find out why my daughter has been left off the housebound list. The vaccinator remembered doing hers last time, so was puzzled why she wasn't on the list this time and phoned his office. They said she's not on their housebound list, so we need to contact our GP to try to get her back on the list.

Nellie, AliceLily, Sean and 18 others like this.
  20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Possibly as I was classified as CEV (Clinically Extremely Vulnerable) and the required classification now to get a 2nd booster is to be 'extremely clinically vulnerable' this might explain why I haven't been 'invited', despite it now being nearly 6 months since I was given booster 1.

Gotta love 'em ;)

(of course these are the public categories, the NHS, according to my medical records, uses a different name for it - can't have the public using the same terminology as the NHS can we, as that might mean people could know what was going on and what to expect.)

I hope your side effects pass quickly.

AliceLily, Arnie Pye, Hutan and 9 others like this.