1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://ashpublications.org/bloodad...475250/The-SARS-CoV-2-receptor-binding-domain

Well, not exactly. The authors state:
    They used a glycan array assay - they didn't actually observe differences in binding to real lung cells.

Also note that spike protein binding to glycans (and sialic acid residues) is already well known.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

A rare treat for today! RSM
    https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jJZ5inQCQMi5AcxYhNiQIw?_cldee=YmFyYi5zdWZmb2xrQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ==&recipientid=contact-99eed06f8f84ea11a811000d3a86ad25-7e30243b3f204acda7ac2463f04f8b8d&utm_source=ClickDimensions&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CON.C19&esid=a5cb580c-1987-eb11-a812-0022481a7839

Episode 66: The pandemic year - what happens next?

'Date: Thursday 18 March 2021
    Time: 12:30pm - 1:30pm GMT
    Dear Sir/Madam,
    One year on from the first UK national lockdown, in this hour-long anniversary episode of the COVID-19 Series we look forward, to ask what might happen next in the pandemic.

Professor Sir Simon Wessely will be joined by three expert commentators from the fields of public health, infectious diseases and health psychology: Professor Gabriel Scally, President of the Epidemiology and Public Health Section at the RSM and member of Independent SAGE, Dr Muge Cevik, virologist and clinical lecturer in infectious diseases at the University of St Andrews and member of NERVTAG, and Professor Lucy Yardley, Professor of Health Psychology at the Universities of Southampton and Bristol and member of SAGE.

Offering insights from their areas of expertise, the panel will discuss different scenarios for the future of the COVID-19 pandemic, and what we might expect with an evolving virus, changing human behaviour and different approaches to public health.'

Thank you for registering for "COVID-19 Series: The pandemic year - what happens next? - Episode 66".
    Please submit any questions to: webinar1@rsm.ac.uk

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2021
  4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paywalled article in Swedish newspaper:

Unik kartläggning: Här är de som dött i covid i Sverige
    https://www.dn.se/sverige/unik-kartlaggning-har-ar-de-som-dott-i-covid-i-sverige/

Invisible Woman, Michelle and Andy like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Eyes are getting some attention as an entry point. Logical for an airborne virus considering they are nearly always open. There was a study suggesting people wearing glasses may have a slightly lower risk of getting it. Especially relevant with mask-wearing, leaves mostly the eyes unprotected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFC5ZvULzJI

Bit disappointed it didn't catch on to vision problems, which appear to be neurological, and are pretty common in LC, seems about similar as for ME: blurry vision, double vision, phosphenes, floaters, sensitivity to bright lights, etc. As usual you can't get an answer for unasked questions.

Leila, Yessica, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  6. Wits_End

Thanks. I was asking a while ago whether the eyes were still considered a vulnerable point, since the concentration seemed to have moved onto the airways.

Yessica likes this.
  7. Wits_End

Apparently, Prozac and itraconazole can be repurposed to help fight Covid-19:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/me...g-covid-19/ar-BB1ftxOt?ocid=ASUDHP&li=AAnZ9Ug

Michelle and Trish like this.
  8. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean likes this.
  9. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merylg, ScottTriGuy and Hutan like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Michelle likes this.
  12. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you all seen this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56823627.amp

The headline is very irresponsible IMO.

Anyway what do you think? Are they likely to be able to make antiviral pills for covid? If that's feasible, then why are they only starting to look into it now?

Michelle and Snow Leopard like this.
  13. Sarah94

14. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why do you think the headline is irresponsible?

15. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems unlikely to me that we would get pills, especially something you can take at home, anytime soon. When the outbreak started, I remember several doctors predicting we would have specific non-vaccine repurposed drugs available to treat COVID-19 before the vaccines would roll out. A year later, is there any treatment available that ICUs are using beyond standard care? I'm not aware of it at least.

Sarah94 and Snow Leopard like this.
  16. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am hesitant to bring it up, but it seems like there is a growing body of evidence that suggests there are at least a couple repurposed medications that have efficacy against COVID.

Something something “big pharma” etc...

MEMarge and Nellie like this.
  17. Sarah94

"Plan for pills to treat virus at home by autumn" implies that it's going to happen.

Snow Leopard and NelliePledge like this.
  18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But surely that is the ideal? Give patients drugs they can take when necessary to prevent Covid getting serious and requiring hospital/ICU stays?

19. Sarah94

Yes, but the headline implies that it's going to happen (when really it's just something that they're hoping to achieve, which may actually be unlikely to happen by autumn). Headlines like that will lead people to think "oh it's all going to be okay soon" and therefore take more risks.

20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I read it that they are just starting to look at this and the article does say they might not find anything so I agree the headline is misleading. If it said search for instead of plan for.......

MEMarge, Sarah94 and mango like this.