1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree that could be a problem, but I've seen other centres saying they make sure they use them up by having lists of people they can call in at short notice. And some health service staff have had their second dose. I suspect it's not as widespread as the article suggests - it's extrapolating from a single centre.

MEMarge, JaneL, Wits_End and 5 others like this.
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think a few frontline staff have already had their second shot...anecdotally my cousin who is a nurse has had hers already and another relative who takes blood regularly (haematology) is about to get hers as well. I think front line staff are already prioritised already?

I think we will get more of these types of articles as people realise how long they have to wait ...only natural I suppose ...personally I think they should prioritise the under 60’s in terms of key workers that have to be exposed to the public or have to work closely to one another (shop workers, assembly line workers, abattoirs, bus drivers etc etc). I suppose teachers could be included in that lot as well but I would like to see evidence that they have a higher risk than someone working in a supermarket....but I digress

3. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wasn't sure where to post this and felt too wimpy to listen to it with all that went on last week...

Inside Health BBC R4, broadcast 26th Jan 2021, 28 mins

Available on BBC i-player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rlpj

"Exercise in the time of Covid
    It’s an exercise special on Inside Health. This week Amanda wants to know how quickly she can get back to exercising after Covid. Dr David Salman has drawn up some advice and Dr Navjoyt Ladher explains why this virus means we should be taking it easy, as well as having a shocking confession of her own. We check in on George, Jen and Dr Helen Hawley-Hague to see how they are getting on with their physiotherapy in the height of lockdown. And we explore with Sport England’s Tim Hollingsworth what the pandemic can teach us about improving exercise levels. Oh and I think I nearly broke our resident GP Margaret McCartney talking about 'adaptogens'. "

MEMarge, Michelle and Kitty like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oregon health workers who got stuck in a snowstorm on their way back from a COVID-19 vaccination event went car to car injecting stranded drivers before several of the doses expired.

Yessica, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 7 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I’ve seen examples of people in the U.K. being innovative in making sure any spare doses are used. Reserve lists of patents to call in at short notice. Using the spare doses to vaccinate the volunteers who help at the vaccination centres etc....

Yessica, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.
  6. Ukmum

Ukmum Established Member

I have been working at a vaccination centre for a few days and have seen the efforts to use up every last dose at the end of the night with staff staying late to wait for police and other key workers called in to use up any spares. I have been so impressed with the energy and drive of everyone working so hard towards a single goal.

7. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica, JaneL, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  8. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beneficial effects of colchicine for moderate to severe COVID-19: a randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Lopes et al. RMD Open (2021)
    The Guardian: Gout drug could reduce Covid hospital stays, new research finds

JaneL, Michelle and Trish like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Michelle likes this.
  10. Wits_End

Perrier, Samuel, Nellie and 2 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Enlivex Reports Positive Top-Line Results from Phase II Clinical Trial Evaluating Allocetra in Severe and Critical COVID-19 Patients and Provides a Program Update

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...9-Patients-and-Provides-a-Program-Update.html

eta:
    "
    AllocetraTM is a universal, off-the-shelf cell therapy designed to reprogram macrophages into their homeostatic state. Diseases such as solid cancers, sepsis, COVID-19 and many others reprogram macrophages out of their homeostatic state. These non-homeostatic macrophages contribute significantly to the severity of the respective diseases. By restoring macrophage homeostasis, AllocetraTM has the potential to provide a novel immunotherapeutic mechanism of action for life-threatening clinical indications that are defined as “unmet medical needs”, as a stand-alone therapy or in combination with leading therapeutic agents."

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The hyped press release does not sound very promising. There is no cytokine storm in Covid as far as I can gather.

13. Wits_End

On the BBC news this evening: reports suggesting that the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab is rather less effective against the South African strain of Covid-19. It is still thought that it will protect against the worst symptoms, though.

Binkie4, merylg, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We don't know that for sure. The numbers (particularly in vulnerable people) are too low to conclude that those with symptoms are protected from severe symptoms.

merylg, TrixieStix, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  15. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, JaneL, hinterland and 8 others like this.
  17. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Michelle and Amw66 like this.
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

19. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty and Michelle like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Example of his COVID-19 research:
    https://covid19.elsevierpure.com/en/persons/jonas-f-ludvigsson

"Children are unlikely to be the main drivers of the COVID-19 pandemic – A systematic review"

"Systematic review of COVID-19 in children shows milder cases and a better prognosis than adults"

Kitty, JaneL, Michelle and 4 others like this.