1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The ‘cognitive behavioural model’ of chronic fatigue syndrome: Critique of a flawed model, 2019, Geraghty et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Daisymay and AllenJB like this.
  2. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes and do they never question how mass hysteria can continue for literally decades for many of us?

Or why anyone would choose to be on benefits and to have to live in poverty and go through the repeated hell of benefit reassessment when they could work part time for more with none of the stress or stigma?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Snow Leopard, Hutan, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depression patients would make a lousy control group. The diagnosis has basically no reliability, I'd be surprised if when we get a reliable test we don't find 50%+ error rates, and they are often heavily-medicated, introducing external effects that comparison groups should avoid. I'm not really sure how effective assessment of deconditioned would be.

There is enormous value in doing comparison studies to falsify the flawed hypotheses that there is anything in common beyond the superficial, but as control groups those populations would be highly problematic. For deconditioning it's really easy, it literally doesn't work like that, people don't suddenly become deconditioned and deconditioning doesn't fluctuate. That should have been done early on and have eliminated this nonsense.

For depression it's already been done to death and there is no correlation at all beyond what we find in similarly disabling diseases, but this hasn't stopped people from saying stupid stuff like CFS is really just the physical symptoms of depression, a random and baseless opinion I have seen far too often expressed by people who seem confused about how little their personal opinion is worth.

JemPD, Hutan, EzzieD and 1 other person like this.
  4. rvallee

That's mostly what it is. Simon Wessely is a big fan of mass hysteria, sees it everywhere and he is not alone in this. He made the same pronouncements on no less than 4 other patient populations and has a weird obsession with fear playing a major role in ME. No idea where he got this nonsense. He has a history of being wrong but somehow this failure, of wrongly arguing for mass hysteria in dismissing a disease, doesn't count. Never has. Enormous harm, no foul. The exact same mistake keeps being repeated, always with the same confidence that this time it's 100% correct.

The recent renewal of FND is literally just that, FND is conversion disorder with a different label even though they pretend otherwise, but when they talk among themselves they don't feel much restraint in their contempt and derision and that this is 100% what they mean. The recent innovation in that field is to absolutely build a model of mass hysteria while pretending it is not, putting deceit as the method to push it onto patients who don't take kindly to being told nonsense that has nothing to do with their experience and what they report. They seem to think that pissing on people and telling them is raining is serious, professional medicine and that we should be grateful for the lower limb hydration.

JemPD, Snow Leopard, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  5. rvallee

They have a set list of excuses for that. If you don't like the first one they have another, and then another and so on and on. Always ending with thought-terminating clichés like "you just don't like psychology" or whatever, nevermind that we don't have much opinion on that or that some ME patients are themselves psychologists or psychiatrists. They just don't really care about the substance of what they say, it's 100% style and wholly superficial.

Belief systems are never rational and this here is no exception. It always leads to bizarre things that lack any self-consistency.

JemPD, EzzieD, AllenJB and 1 other person like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just as a side-bar for @AllenJB since you are new here you might not be aware of the History of ME and how it has been subverted by influential people on behalf of powerful interests (namely insurance).

If you are interested (and don't already know) you could have a look here as a starting point.

Welcome to the forum.

ETA: was just on another thread where you remark you've read Osler's web so above comment is superfluous.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    MEMarge, AllenJB, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Top quality pun @Wonko - much appreciated :)

Barry, Chris, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Tom Kindlon

10. Tom Kindlon

11. Tom Kindlon

12. Tom Kindlon

13. Tom Kindlon

14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Not that it stopped them from continuing ever since to relentlessly claim that their critics are "anti-psychiatry".

15. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ironically, using brainwash-yourself-better and exercise on a group of people people with some of the most severe functional impairment that can be observed in humans squares pretty well with taking to its logical extreme the fundamental Anti-Psychiatry movement idea that 'mental illness' is a phony construct describing what is in reality a failure of morality or willpower. I think Wesley is more 'Anti-Psychiatry' than patients are '(anti)-(psychiatry)', for whatever that's worth.

rvallee and Sean like this.
  16. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had a little look at the citation literature (via PubMed and Wessely's own archive), and it is quite interesting that Wessely never cites his personality study with Barbara Wood. (Although, having said "never", it does make an appearance in the supplementary material of his review with Huibers on labelling.) I suspect it only exists so that he can claim to have "known it all along" when he is finally found out.

MEMarge, Woolie, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  17. Tom Kindlon

18. Tom Kindlon

19. Tom Kindlon