Review Surveying the Metabolic and Dysfunctional Profiles of T Cells and NK Cells in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2023, Maya

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract:

Millions globally suffer from myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). The inflammatory symptoms, illness onset, recorded outbreak events, and physiological variations provide strong indications that ME/CFS, at least sometimes, has an infectious origin, possibly resulting in a chronic unidentified viral infection. Meanwhile, studies exposing generalized metabolic disruptions in ME/CFS have stimulated interest in isolated immune cells with an altered metabolic state.

As the metabolism dictates the cellular function, dissecting the biomechanics of dysfunctional immune cells in ME/CFS can uncover states such as exhaustion, senescence, or anergy, providing insights into the consequences of these phenotypes in this disease. Despite the similarities that are seen metabolically between ME/CFS and other chronic viral infections that result in an exhausted immune cell state, immune cell exhaustion has not yet been verified in ME/CFS.

This review explores the evidence for immunometabolic dysfunction in ME/CFS T cell and natural killer (NK) cell populations, comparing ME/CFS metabolic and functional features to dysfunctional immune cell states, and positing whether anergy, exhaustion, or senescence could be occurring in distinct immune cell populations in ME/CFS, which is consistent with the hypothesis that ME/CFS is a chronic viral disease.

This comprehensive review of the ME/CFS immunometabolic literature identifies CD8+ T cell exhaustion as a probable contender, underscores the need for further investigation into the dysfunctional state of CD4+ T cells and NK cells, and explores the functional implications of molecular findings in these immune-cell types.

Comprehending the cause and impact of ME/CFS immune cell dysfunction is critical to understanding the physiological mechanisms of ME/CFS, and developing effective treatments to alleviate the burden of this disabling condition.

https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/24/15/11937

eta:
    (This article belongs to the Special Issue Advances of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS))

FMMM1, Michelle, Hutan and 6 others like this.