1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Topple: The media is waging a coordinated war against chronically ill and disabled people

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://mrtopple.com/2019/03/18/the...-against-chronically-ill-and-disabled-people/

Atle, janice, Barry and 29 others like this.
  2. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a pretty good piece covering the main PACE/Sharpe/DWP issues. He knows his stuff on this topic.

He talks about his partner's illness in one of the links he gives.

https://mrtopple.com/2019/02/10/why-im-giving-up-writing/

The one reservation is Steve's background formerly writing for the Canary. Whilst I support many of the issues it covers, it often sensationalises stories and gets facts wrong.

That said, he is using his audience to get out the story out to a wider public and is to be commended.

Also looking forward to a piece from the Guardian's Frances Ryan. :)

UPDATE: when I had a bit more time & less brain fog I read the later articles. They do get increasingly more ranty and go into conspiracy theory territory.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Hutan, adambeyoncelowe, Atle and 18 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://mrtopple.com/2019/03/18/the...d-war-on-chronically-ill-and-disabled-people/

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is generally good, but that the history does not go back nearly far enough. The time that needs looking at in detail is 1993 when Peter Lilley brought in John LoCascio, and "sang" his little song to the party conference.

ukxmrv, Arnie Pye, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

He's written good articles in the Canary about ME.

Inara, Barry, Estherbot and 7 others like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A series of articles?! There seems to be so much stuff to read today.

Barry, Sbag, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://mrtopple.com/2019/03/18/don...e-war-on-chronically-ill-and-disabled-people/

janice, Barry, Estherbot and 6 others like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th The first article mentioned in this thread may be of interest to you since it mentions Kelland.

Estherbot likes this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just read the first one, and there were some good and interesting bits in there, but I thought there were also some counter-productive sections.

I think it's probably a bad idea to bring up Kelland's other reporting unless you've really had time to go through, check the evidence, and find areas where she was wrong. There's a possible narrative of her just being an instinctive shill for various bodies with money, power and influence... but was her work on those areas misleading?

Kelland seemed to assess Tuller's work not by checking whether he got things right or wrong, but by thinking he was some sort of shill for the unreasonable patients who he'd crowd-funded from (even though his work on this topic long pre-dated any crowd-funding). She didn't point to errors in his work, but spun a narrative. It's a cheap way of working imo, and shouldn't be applied to Kelland any more than Tuller.

I think that speculations like these are really unhelpful with any writing around PACE:

The best way to challenge the unfounded assumptions of others is to stick closely to the evidence imo.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Dolphin, fivetowns, Estherbot and 6 others like this.
  10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well, my mother also donated, and she doesn't have ME!

Hutan, ahimsa, inox and 14 others like this.
  11. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"My partner Nicola is chronically ill, as many of you know. Before we got together she had previously been told her illnesses were ‘all in her head’ and mental health-related, even to the point that professionals sectioned her under the Mental Health Act when she was desperate for support."

andypants, chrisb and Andy like this.
  12. Roy S

13. Roy S

Please thank your mom for us. I read through your looong list of donors and bet it will be longer next time.

Dolphin, inox, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  14. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

15. Estherbot

When Frances Ryan publishes her Guardian piece, it might be worth contacting Jackie Long & other relevant journalists.

Essentially you're leveraging content in the "mainstream media" to generate more.

That's what happened with Kelland's Reuters piece, it stimulated similar pieces elsewhere. (no doubt abetted by the SMC)

16. Estherbot

adambeyoncelowe and MSEsperanza like this.
  17. Estherbot

18. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

I tried interesting Channel 4 News, both with Jackie Long and Cathy Newman, but no luck. Cathy passed it on to the science correspondent and he said nothing to see here, move along.

19. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps tackle from a different route. Scottish coverage ( Parliament, newspapers and BBC) has been sympathetic in the past few years- perhaps a toehold could be gained here which could be leveraged?

ladycatlover, MSEsperanza and Andy like this.
  20. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah I mean he’s been accused of antisemitism and goes on Russia Today...not a great track record.

It’s difficult isn’t it. I think if it was any other subject I’d distance myself from someone like that ASAP, but we don’t really have the pick of the bunch :/

Estherbot, MSEsperanza and Cheshire like this.