1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stanford Community Symposium 2018: Phair, Metabolic traps, Tryptophan trap

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Back in the mid 1980's, on a doctor's recommendation, I took L-tryptophan for sleep once - and only once. That night, I had the weirdest dream experience of my life. It was like I was rapidly shifting between random images - fragments of dreams which only lasted a second. The worst aspect was that I couldn't get out of the "dream," even though I wanted to. There's a famous animation called "An American Time Capsule" that captures that kind of rapid image change, but I won't link to it here because it's basically an exercise in sensory overload.

I haven't seen the conference video yet - (my internet connection is apparently too slow for live 720), but tryptophan is an essential amino acid and the precursor molecule to tryptophol (there are several steps). Tryptophol is the molecule that trypanosomes produce which seems to be the behind some of the effects of sleeping sickness.

In 1989, the sale of over the counter L-tryptophan was abruptly halted in the US and other countries when 1,500 users of L-tryptophan of came down with Eosinophilia–myalgia syndrome (EMS). Thirty-seven people died. The cause of the "outbreak" was thought to be contaminants introduced into a batch produced by one Japanese manufacturer, but some cases had occurred up to 3 years earlier. The exact link between L-tryptophan and EMS remains unknown. [This paper suggests there is genetic risk factor.]

In the US, the FDA began removing restrictions on L-tryptophan in 2001, lifting the general import ban in 2005.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Barry and 11 others like this.
  3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IDO2 top related transcription factors foxo1a and foxo1
    Source Genecards also African trapanosomes gets mentioned and PKC

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    ukxmrv, MEMarge, Simon M and 2 others like this.
  4. Cheesus

Cheesus Established Member (Voting Rights)

I've had that experience with melatonin. Tryptophan is the precursor to melatonin.

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to the hypothesis, SSRIs would make things worse.

See:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10721121

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's a fascinating paper you linked to @Snow Leopard. I note it's from 1999. Here's the abstract. I've split it into short sections for easy reading:

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This is what I was thinking. While I believe the grief I experienced did have physical consequences I think it is quite possible that the Prozac made things worse. I don’t remember feeling so exhausted before this time.

ETA around the time I started taking Prozac I also started having counselling and this helped me a lot. Unfortunately it wasn’t possible to tell if the effect was purely from the counselling or the Prozac so I ended up continuing Prozac for years. I still have counselling but have ditched the Prozac.

ETA2 when I was looking at the UK researchers involved in the Harvard Group I spotted this link from Prof Janet Lord at Birmingham’s page about the physical impact of grief which is relevant to my experience I was in my 40s so not an older person but my experience was of ongoing grief for Mum who had severe dementia for 15 years before she died. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2014/09/age-alters-our-immune-response-09-09-14.aspx

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    MEMarge, andypants, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  8. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is really interesting. Also, reading more about tryptophol, I see that it's also present in some alcohols and is created by candida: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophol

Could these convergences explain some of the secondary symptoms (IBS/GI problems, alcohol intolerance, etc)?

Obviously, these are all preliminary findings that need follow-up, but I think it chimes with some of what we know anecdotally. Whether it's a generalised issue or only a factor for a subgroup is yet to be seen.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They are only at the phase 2 open label trial stage. I think he said they are still assessing whether there is enough evidence to warrant going on to a full sized double blind trial.

The amino acid of interest in the metabolic trap hypothesis is tryptophan. I've had a look at the article about tryptophol and it's a different chemical - an alcohol derived from tryptophan by some organisms. There's no mention of it in any of the discussions about ME I've seen, so I'm not sure what relevance it has here. Can you clarify what you meant?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
    Inara and Wonko like this.
  10. adambeyoncelowe

I was responding to Forbin's comment above:
    Forbin's comment suggested that this metabolic trap might be linked to Ron's other comments about trypanosomes. I was just making huge leaps in logic. :p

pteropus, Lisa108, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  11. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just wanted to ask this very question as well. I vaguely remember reading something about how an increase in IDO is necessary for the maternal immune system to not attack the fetus, and blocking it with 1-methyl-tryptophan leads to a t-cell mediated attack on the fetal tissue. There must be some 'flag' thingy set (or reset) here.

Another obvious question would be why IDO activity is dysregulated in the first place, because we don't want to find out we can easily fix this with an IDO2 inducer and then die to whatever was the reason for this stuff not working in the first place.

I hope someone who knows more about this will chime in...

12. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10721121
    I note it’s from scientists in the biochemistry department at Oxford. We had scientists in the UK. What happened?

ETA: somehow the post did not transfer fully. Please see @Trish For abstract in short sections. #27

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
  13. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some Reality check here :

- What percentage of pregnant women with ME/CFS goes into remission?

-Are there women that have an increase of Symptoms or got ME/CFS after/during pregnancy ?

-If lowering levels of Tryptophan during pregnancy is the reason , wouldn’t some of us have an amelioration of symptoms by minimising Tryptophan food sources intake?

inox, Perrier, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

inox, MEMarge, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  15. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From what I’ve read, 30% get better during the pregnancy (but doesn’t last), 30% feel no difference, and 30% get worse. I’ve seen these numbers many times, but I have no idea where they come from or how accurate they are.

The leading hypothesis is that the increased blood volume helps, but I have a hard time seeing how that could make someone worse.

What happens during pregnancy doesn’t appear to dictate what happens after the pregnancy. Some get better, some get worse, some stay the same. Again, I’ve seen this mention a lot but don’t know what it is based on.

16. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apocryphally, the other way around!

17. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the variable results in pregnancy have to do with the fact that our basic disease is a problem with energy production. In MS, where the illness is based on an immune problem, pregnancy may cause a remission by it's action on the immune system.

In ME, any improvement caused by the immune system could easily be swamped by the increase in energy needed to cope with, say, throwing up or the increased weight, never mind all the other physical and social problems that pregnancy brings.

Whether pregnancy makes someone feel better or worse is down to a complex interaction of factors which will be very difficult to disentangle.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It seems to me that this links to what the CII team found in this paper? https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-28477-9, discussion thread https://www.s4me.info/threads/insig...ehensive-metabolomics-2018-lipkin-et-al.4873/

In it they say
    Seems to me that they are talking about the same thing?

They say on the subject of serotonin

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MeSci and andypants like this.
  20. adambeyoncelowe

So what does this mean? Is it likely this is a side-effect of long-term amitriptyline use (or similar)? If not, would long-term use of these drugs worsen the problem?

Andy likes this.