1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stanford Community Symposium 2018: Phair, Metabolic traps, Tryptophan trap

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Sep 30, 2018.

1. RDP

RDP Established Member (Voting Rights)

This question can be seen as a variant of your sudden vs. progressive onset question. Trapping more cells of a given cell type or trapping new additional cell types both could lead to increased disease severity.

Good questions. Thanks for your interest.

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had not appreciated the significance of this until @RDP commented on it. Although I appreciate the trap is at a cellular level, I had just thought cells would fall prey to it wholesale, rather than maybe being selectively affected. For me that is a profound insight.

I wonder if for some people their pacing-level exercise helps some of their cells to flip back out of their latched state, whereas something like GET maybe just pushes more and more cells into the trap?

I also find it intriguing that if severity is determined by % of trapped cells, then does that suggest the % of trapped cells levels out for many people, given how many people's severity levels out for longish periods of time? And if the % of trapped cells does tend to a steady state for periods of time, are they necessarily always the same cells? Or could there be a steady migration of cells into and out of the trapped state, but with the average level of trapped cells fairly static? What would it be that led to this steady state condition? Some form of self regulation? Or some natural limit condition?

In reality I appreciate that even if it turns out that disease severity is significantly influenced by % trapped cells, there will inevitably be other influencing factors also. Fascinating science, but a bugger of a disease.

My scientific and medical knowledge are close to zilch, just to be clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2023
    andypants, Annamaria, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  3. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions @RDP. Very helpful, although it will take me some time to digest your responses.

In the meantime, one more thing that puzzles me is this:
    @Chris Ponting (or @Simon M) can you confirm whether or not a GWAS would be capable of revealing the type of correlation that Dr Phair describes? If not, would it be possible to analyse the existing data from the UK Biobank in a different way that would determine whether or not such a correlation exists?

4. Chris Ponting

Chris Ponting Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'd need to read the methods describing the approach taken before I can come to a view. But I think what was being said was that a GWAS would *not* be able to reveal this result because each DNA variant is not statistically significant when considered alone. Rather, it was being proposed that all of the IDO2 variants (SNPs) that are proposed to be deleterious when *considered together* might be significant. This requires a "burden test" (and a multiple testing correction applied that controls for the number of genes plus IDO2 that were considered individually). Are there methods and results written up (& peer reviewed)? Apologies for these questions, I lost the thread of this discussion a while back.

Cheshire, Ravn, andypants and 10 others like this.
  5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I’m aware there are no papers published on @RDP ’s metabolic trap theory yet, but your summary is consistent with my understanding of what has been said. (Although I note that Dr Phair has said that he did not apply a Bonferroni correction when analysing the data.)

I would be very interested to know if the available data from the UK Biobank could be used to determine whether or not it supports Dr Phair’s theory.

More generally, I would be interested to know whether a different algorithm could be applied to data collected from any GWAS study to determine whether any significant correlations of this type exist – ie between an illness and a gene that can be broken by any one of a number of different SNPs, but where no one SNP has a strong enough correlation to reach statistical significance.

Ravn, Annamaria, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has something like this not been done for GWI? Broderick is known for in depth " fancy math"
    Otherwise, outwith psychiatric conditions, my guess would be some of the established/ better funded research diseases - cancer/ arthritis/ alzheimers and perhaps epilepsy?

7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Robert 1973

@RDP mentioned on PR that he had submitted a trap paper for review, but that the journal was having difficulty finding reviewers with a background in both MECFS and system modeling, so the review is delayed a bit apparently.

Binkie4, ukxmrv, mango and 1 other person like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That does not surprise me at all. I think @RDP is one of a rare breed at the moment.

Trish and Daisymay like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Systems and maths and knowledge of ME - few and far between . off top of my head - Gordon Broderick who has worked with Klimas and Craig Robertson who works with Myhill ( his premise on mathematical catastrophe theory as applied to ME is kind of like a bistability switch)

Binkie4, Barry and Daisymay like this.
  10. Chris Ponting

Yes, there are tests for the burden of rare variants, for example:
    (1) https://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S0002-9297(08)00408-4
    (2) https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1000384
    These work best when most rare variants alter trait (ME/CFS risk) which is not likely to be the case. These are not straightforward because gene length varies, and because 'random' mutations are never entirely random.
    Unfortunately these tests cannot be applied to GWAS data because such studies *sample* DNA variants in intervals across genes and genomes, rather than sequencing every DNA letter in every gene. The sequencing approach is much more expensive (x10-20).

Hutan, mango, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

12. Jim001

Jim001 Established Member (Voting Rights)

I was only able to read a fraction of the paper, so I am lacking some context (and lots of technical insight), but I did find this sentence a little disheartening. I hope he is just being extra conservative.

"While it is possible that the IDO metabolic trap lays bare the etiology of ME/CFS, the probability that this is so is small."

ZeroGravitas, Binkie4, Aroa and 5 others like this.
  13. Chris Ponting

Just read the genetics part of this paper (https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/9/3/82/htm) and because Kashi et al. propose that "any predisposing genetic mutation must be common" I turned once again to the huge UK Biobank study with 2017 individuals with self-reported diagnosis of ME/CFS. UK Biobank data does not support this hypothesis involving common DNA variants. IDO2.png

Hutan, Binkie4, Aroa and 6 others like this.
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does "deemed significant" mean?

Ron Davis recently said at the Invest in ME conference that 75% of the population have IDO2 mutations, but 20 severe patients and 46 additional patients tested all had IDO2 mutations. This is very unusual.

Something is very wrong. Either their method, or this biobank data.

Aroa, Trish, Sarah94 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Chris Ponting

"Deemed significant" - this is the conventional genome-wide threshold, i.e. an industry standard. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30349118 or https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/176834v2 if the former is behind a paywall.
    The UK Biobank data has been acquired and analysed to very high, international standards. This data set is human genetics' "go to" data set internationally.

Aroa, Trish, Andy and 3 others like this.
  16. Hoopoe

I heard that the software used by Phair to analyse genetic data ignores IDO2 mutations because they are so common. Maybe something like this is happening with the Biobank data and it's only showing what is considered to be potentially important which might only be very rare mutations.

Another possibility is that self-reported CFS could mean people that may have had no medical knowledge where asked if they have chronic fatigue syndrome and many said yes because they don't know any better and think it means being tired a lot.

Maybe the tech they used to determine whether someone had IDO2 mutation is faulty with a 100% false positive rate.

Aroa, Sarah94 and Andy like this.
  17. Chris Ponting

The UK Biobank results were generated entirely blinded without prejudice with respect to genes or traits/diseases. It was designed to determine whether common DNA variants can help predict an anthropometric trait or disease (e.g. whether someone is a ME/CFS case or else a control). In this case, Kashi et al. proposed that common variants can predict ME/CFS disease. The UK Biobank is supremely well placed to address this, and was very far from providing supportive evidence.

"Self-reported CFS". The self-report was whether they have ever been diagnosed as having CFS (i.e. ME/CFS) and not whether they were self-diagnosing ME/CFS. One of the central members of the UK Biobank told me that she thinks that "self-reported" data can be more accurate than electronic health records essentially because individuals are experts on what clinicians have diagnosed them with.

Hutan, Binkie4, sb4 and 6 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Okay.

I found what I mentioned previously:

Ron Davis, on the IDO2 mutations. "If you do the automated analysis, it doesn't show up. Simply because it's excluded by the software because it can't possibly be important because it has too many mutations".

https://youtu.be/CGWcA1xYnyY?t=2057

19. Hoopoe

A bit later he says that "sequencing is about 1000 dollars per patient so they decided to do it differently [...] so he worked out a way to sequence this gene for 10 dollars."

If this new way is flawed then that could explain why they're finding IDO2 mutations in all patients.

sb4, Aroa and Andy like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that may be simply to mean that it could be an explanation, not necessarily the whole, cause and mechanism. That's fine. There could be a downstream process that causes this, the true cause, with the trap being a consequence that can still be reversed.

Good researchers are careful not to make claims without significant evidence. Bad ones just make stuff up. Different strokes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2023
    Jim001, Aroa, mango and 1 other person like this.