1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Some videos about various topics concerning ME collected by a member

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by DigitalDrifter, Nov 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a general thread for the discussion of videos related to ME. Both good and bad videos are to be included.

I'll start with a positive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9TjgE_PlU

Notice at 2m47s - He says ME crashes can be permanent which is very relevant to me since I've become 100% bedbound due to doctors, friends, family not believing exercise and exertion can cause damage. @8:09 he says that only 5% make a full recovery.

I look forward to seeing your discussion and videos you've found.

Amw66, Shinygleamy, Alton and 8 others like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica, rvallee, wdb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it difficult to watch videos, but this one was said to be really good so I gave it a try. It was stunning to me to hear a doctor talking about ME in the same way as other diseases. It felt so relevant, not the way I am used to "experts" talking about an illness totally different from what I suffer from.

ME is just another illness, why is that so hard to understand? The reports, in the 90s was it, spoke about it being a strange illness which lay in the middle ground between the physical and the psychological, all to lay the groundwork for the takeover by BPS.

Just another illness, not a voodoo land, not a mysterious thing, not hysteria, not a sin, just something going wrong in the way bodies work.

Amw66, merylg, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  4. DigitalDrifter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9gLhNO3LIw

@1:55 Esther Crawley says "...there's good evidence for CBT in paediatric CFS". What evidence is she referring to? Also why are the comments disabled, are they afraid of descenting opinions?

You can discuss this video on this thread

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2018
    Squeezy likes this.
  5. DigitalDrifter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJ31Ojqafs

I replied on YouTube with:
    @10:48 "resistance to the diagnosis is about the stigma". This is a strawman argument against ME patients who suffer worsening of symptoms (in some cases permanently) from exercise or exertion. Under a psychological model worsening of symptoms are not believed by doctors, friends, family, and employers. As a result patients are treated unfairly, are given the wrong advice, and in some cases have their disability made permanently worse. There have even been cases of patients being forcibly sent to mental institutions and children with ME being taken away from their parents. Suzanne O'Sullivan dedicated a chapter in her book (It's All in Your Head: True Stories of Imaginary Illness) to ME which she claims is psychosomatic.

You can discuss this video on this thread

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2018
    Mithriel and Squeezy like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note: If you would like to add more videos to this collection please also link to a thread for discussion of the video (an existing thread if there is one, or create a new one).

7. DigitalDrifter

8. DigitalDrifter

andypants, rvallee and Trish like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The worldwide estimate of 17 million cases seems to come from applying Jason's prevalence value (422 per 100,000 adults) to the adult world population (over 18) between 2002-2004. The adult world population has grown since then, so it would've been close to 21.6 million cases in 2018 (maybe 24 million today), and that, again, is just the adult cases. If you apply the same prevalence rate to the entire world population - adults and younger - based on the 2018 population - you'd get close to 31 million cases.

ETA: Jason used the 1994 "Fukuda" criteria, but his group did a lot of screening of the participants to rule out other possible causes of their fatigue. Jason's 1999 study was carried out from 1995-1998, which explains why he used the 1994 definition and not the CCC (2003) or the ICC (2011). They randomly called about 29,000 Chicago households and about 19,000 completed the initial interview.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    ahimsa, rvallee, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  10. DigitalDrifter

11. DigitalDrifter

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

13. DigitalDrifter

14. DigitalDrifter

Mithriel likes this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)