1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Solve ME/CFS Initiative - Editorial: PEM. It's time to Retire the Term

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get shades of PEM, if you’re at I want to die levels I’d call it a crash. Milder PEM for me might be immune activation, insomnia, lasting a day or two with reduced function, a crash is worse. But I’m bedridden so very little exertion sets off some symptoms which I’d call PEM , without it being a crash. I struggle to recall being mild and moderate and PEM then. I still had shades of it I think but my presentation is very immune. If people don’t have immune flares maybe it’s normal or ghastly automatic I’m dying feelings and little in between.

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think we are using different terms based on our level of illness? I'm not bed bound. I don't consider a crash 'delayed', my PEM is delayed, going from an almost non- symptomatic state to becoming completely disabled/distressed within 18 hrs from going over my energy boundary.

alktipping likes this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

interesting first time I came across the term malaise was on school exchange to France. The family I was staying with had given me melon with port as a starter when we were away camping on a very warm day. I followed the meal by being sick and had to retire to my tent for 24 hours. What I had was described as une malaise and taken pretty seriously.

alktipping, AliceLily, Inara and 2 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder when/where the term "post-exertional malaise" originated.

[below modified from original post]

I got a hit from Google suggesting it was in the 1988 CFS "Working Case Definition" from the CDC, but it does not seem to be in that report.

I assume that this aspect of the disease [specifically, delayed-onset PEM] - perhaps under another name - had been recognized for a long tme, but, offhand, I can't remember if it shows up in the descriptions of the earlier outbreaks of the 1950's, for example.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018