1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Simon Wessely on Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What were they?

Hutan likes this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Essentially that the personal characteristics of the patients and in particular their presumed psychological vulnerability led to the perpetuation of symptoms. This was the work carried out on staff at Fort Detrick funded by the US Army Chemical Corps. It was introduced to the UK by Eisenberg in 1987 and often quoted thereafter. Strauss seems to have learned of it in 1987.

Hutan, MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Oh. That's where that came from. Interesting to know.

4. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am very reluctant to start going out again even if the lockdown is lifted but not because of any

but because the virus has not gone away, the epidemic is not over and there is still no treatment. The lockdown gave us time to get measures in place to cope, nothing more.

Social distancing measures and facemasks will help, but as someone with ME who has deteriorated badly in the past with flu and who is at high risk from the coronavirus because of other illnesses and age, I will make the practical and logical decision to stay away from people as much as possible.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Wessely's reaction to this pandemic is really exposing his full arrogance and recklessness.

I can only hope the rest of the medical profession in the UK is (finally) paying attention, and making serious moves to sideline him and his insane fairy tales.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wesseley and other BPSers' position themselves as being the most important group to get funding re COVID. "A call for mental health science".

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215036620301681

Get in Quick, while the rest of the NHS is concentrating on fighting the virus and saving lives...

(Apologies if this has been posted already)

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Just had the pleasure of listening to Sir Simon being interviewed on the BBC Radio 4 program 'The Week in Westminster' broadcast at 11am today, starting about 8 minutes in.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000j7gc
    The interview introduces him by his fancy job title etc and says 'and is/was a member of SAGE'. The word is or was is slurred and it's hard to tell but I think he said 'was'.

SW says he thinks the current messaging to 'stay alert' is unclear. He rambles on with his personal ideas about how people react without presenting any evidence, including this:

"Well, we've never had this sort of situation before. When we did our earlier review of the side effects of quarantine just as this was starting, I took a guess that I thought 12 weeks of the kind of restrictions we have now is about the longest a full population can tolerate. And I think we are already starting to see those cracks"

And he goes on to describe a poll that showed 45% fearful, compliant and wanting tighter restrictions, and then another group that are sort of coping OK and " another group that will get larger and larger of those actively resisting..."

He then says we can "probably hazard a guess" that we will end up with two camps - the fearful compliers and the active resisters.

So it sounds like he is in the thick of the decision making, guessing like mad and calling it scientific advice.

9. Invisible Woman

My husband and his colleagues don't seem to fit into any of the groups Sir Simon has "guessed" at.

They are complying with the rules to stay healthy, their employer discussed returning to work & some have agreed to go in with lots of restrictions on what they can and can't do. Most will remain working from home where possible on the grounds its is possible and in line with government advice.

Is that fearful? I don't think so. It's simply common sense and supporting the effort to keep R as far below 1 as possible.

They're still shopping and taking their daily exercise and doing whatever else they can while being responsible citizens.

Edit changed a 0 to 1. Quite tricky to get R below 0 I should think!

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

He also doesn't seem to realise that the cracks are coming partly because the government is giving such mixed messages. But it confirms my suspicion that the 12 weeks that was announced at the start of lockdown especially for those in the 'shielding' group probably came straight out of SW's imagination. And the way he talked it was pretty clear that he has been involved in SAGE from the start.

11. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Listened a couple of times and I’m prettying sure he said “was”.

It doesn’t mention whether or not he is in spy SPI-B, but the intro confirms that he is director of the NIHR Health Protection Research Unit in Emergency Preparedness and Response at Kings College London: http://epr.hpru.nihr.ac.uk/our-team/investigators/professor-sir-simon-wessely

ladycatlover, Sean, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah well, then you cannot make any predictions can you? That is called inductive reasoning Simon and is the basis of science.

If people were so likely to get bored with lockdown why didn't the government avoid lockdown altogether by making the contact tracking programme work and closing airports?

I think there is a very large group missing from his calculation. These people are muddling along OK, but also flabbergasted by the incompetence of the system and bored to tears by all the psychologising.

And while we are about it good science does not attribute numbers where they are meaningless. What does it mean to say 45% are fearful? What about those who are only fearful in the morning or on Thursdays? He needs to wake up to real life.

13. Invisible Woman

:thumbup:

14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What about people who aren't psychologically disturbed (fearful compliers) or troublemakers (active resisters)? Do they exist?

15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe my husband and I are sensible reponders. We are at risk because of age and my ME so he only goes out now for one weekly shop and to the chemist for medication for myself and our grandson who is also at high risk. We know that the virus has not gone away so we will carry on taking precautions for as long as we think necessary, judging every situation by what we understand of the science and weighing up the risks.

16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe that articles that try to expand mental health problems to broad sections of the population are damaging for patients with serious mental health problems.

If a person with ordinary levels of worry is told that worrying is a mental health problem, that person might conclude that mental health problems are trivial and should not be taken seriously. This sentiment could eventually end up influencing health policy to the detriment of people with serious mental health problems.

There is also the risk that resources are used to treat ordinary negative emotions that are not truly a problem, and that there are then few resources left for those most in need.

17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Describing people as "fearful" in this context comes across as being derogatory. What in most people would be described as prudence or common sense under the circumstances is being given a derogatory label by SW and I can only assume that this is deliberate.

rainy, 2kidswithME, Mithriel and 16 others like this.
  18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But psychologising is a fun and satisfying activity. It's also an activity that apparently anyone can engage in -- since factual accuracy is not required.

I would like to psychologise the situation as: some people who are very much at the centre of life the universe and everything else are terminally bored with not being adored in person during this time of isolation.

Very little by way of supporting facts (actually none) but satisfying none the less.

19. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just been reading Dr Kendrick's latest blog :

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/05/16/food-bank-show-next-episode/

and as usual it is well worth reading.

I also liked this comment on the blog by someone called Shaun Clark. It made me think of SW :

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The likes of Wessely are creating more psychopathology than they are preventing/curing.