1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Simon Wessely on Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jo Daniels? Is that Jo "Shopping Bags" Daniels?

I wonder if it's symbolic that the person in the photo is using a shopping trolley?

Snow Leopard, Hutan, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's amazing how these "experts" on human behavior hold caricatural beliefs about human behavior. As if it is a foreign concept to them, studied from so far away they can't resolve anything. This tripe is shallow and pedantic. Whoever thinks this is worthy advice? Seriously?!
    Uh... what? No. Not even close. Where do they even get this stuff? First there's a whole range of behavior and most people are not fragile toddlers. Wessely is aware that most people have no problem watching the needle go into their arm without dissembling into hysteria, right? Doesn't appear so.
    OK get these dangerous fools away from public platforms. ASAP.

ukxmrv, Sean, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like confusion. They seem to be lumping anxiety with different causes together, then treat them as health anxiety, then say reassuring people with health anxiety doesn't work. Of course it doesn't because you're abusing the concept to deny actual illness by labelling it a health anxiety. Since telling sick people that they're not really sick doesn't help them get better but actually makes them feel misunderstood, reassuring doesn't work.

The anxiety, if one wishes to look at the problem in this way, should be treated by addressing the causes. One important cause is that the virus is not under control in the UK (I may not be up to date), another is the economic impact on vulnerable people.

ukxmrv, Hutan, Sean and 8 others like this.
  5. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well yes exactly.

“The case for new measures and messaging to reassure this half of the country that their safety will not be compromised once the all-clear is sounded therefore seems logical on the surface. But look deeper, and the case seems a lot less wise.”

Erm what? Our safety is compromised because in fact, despite the govt trying to say otherwise and opening things up, a deadly virus has been allowed to continue to run through the U.K population. Are they now trying to gaslight us into believing there isn’t coronavirus currently spreading and being handled atrociously in the U.K.?! And I can’t see that changing for quite a while.

and as you said, there’s so many reasons to be anxious. So many people have lost jobs, there isn’t any proper income security and furlough is about to be laid off. People on universal credit are now to be forced to go into job centres, despite Covid still at large in the community, or else face threat of sanctions and their benefits being stopped. And etc.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    TiredSam, Mithriel, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2020
  7. Oni

Oni Established Member (Voting Rights)

:rolleyes:

Barry and MEMarge like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure this is really irony. It is the same as before - telling people what they should do without evidence.

Before we get people exercising" need "to be sure it’s going to be safe. We need proper evaluation of cardiac and respiratory function" &. "take things slowly and in a paced measure.”

How do we know what we need yet?
    How down know how to take it?
    How do we know what is meant by 'in a paced measure'?

Why doesn't he just admit that he has no idea and never has.

lycaena, EzzieD, Mithriel and 23 others like this.
  9. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe more hypocrisy than irony.

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be interesting to know how Paul Garner and other doctors feel about being directed to @DoctorsDistress!

rvallee, lycaena and Leila like this.
  12. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is one article where Mrs Wessely uses the "I overcame"...statement. There was an article in Pulse about the same time, but I can no longer accesss it:

MEDICAL OBSERVER OPINION
    As a GP who has overcome coronavirus, here is what I want you to know
    [​IMG]
    Dr Clare Gerada
    Dr Gerada is the former chair of the UK RCGP, the co-chair of the NHS Assembly, and is a GP in Lambeth, in London.

2 minutes to read
    23rd March 2020

The only souvenir I thought I’d brought back from my recent trip to a conference in New York was a fridge magnet of the Statue of Liberty.

[​IMG]
    Barely two days later, I realised I’d brought a lot more.

Tucked somewhere in my body was the developing coronavirus.

The symptoms mimicked those of jet lag: tiredness, headache and feeling ‘out of it’. Subsequently, it delayed my diagnosis.

I put down the dry cough to the long flight home and the effects of rebreathing cabin air. What I couldn’t....
    https://www.ausdoc.com.au/opinion/gp-who-has-overcome-coronavirus-here-what-i-want-you-know

Admittedly this was in March, before it was clear that there was Long COVID, but I somehow doubt that she has changed her tune.

13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I do wonder if she has actually 'overcome' it.

Arnie Pye and Peter Trewhitt like this.