Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Er.. that doesn’t make sense.

i quite like this idea,

https://twitter.com/user/status/1238468547166253062

Woolie, ukxmrv, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  2. lunarainbows

So, she found it very hard to be ill and wants us all to be compassionate for ill people, but then wants to deliberately infect 60% of the country’s population so they can go through what she just did? Is that what “we’re all in this together” means?

Amw66, Woolie, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

There is a virology blog on vacine creation
    http://www.virology.ws/2020/03/11/sars-cov-2-the-vaccine-landscape/

Woolie, ukxmrv, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

We've now been told to work at home if possible and not to come into the office for 14 days if we have traveled to a different 'metropolitan district'. Also no visits to offices.

Gecko, Wonko, lunarainbows and 2 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see how you do a PCR test in 10 minutes. I can see no evidence for this being bona fide. We need journalists to focus on reliable facts not scoops.

Hutan, Woolie, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  7. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Radio 4 'Today' program just after 8.15 and for about 10 minutes, Robert Peston interviewing Mr Gerada/Sir/Prof Wesley and erm forgotten who else.

Well worth a listen, just wish I knew how to keep a copy(?) of it.

8. Jonathan Edwards

I have been talking to my nephew Al about vaccines. It may be that something can be produced quite quickly but a lot of resources should be put into trying various tricks to find one that works.

The best vaccines are live but harmless versions of a virus. I see no prospect of such an attenuated strain being made that reliably infects but does no harm. A less good but still effective method is to use proteins from the virus that in themselves cannot replicate. But these need to be injected with a 'danger' signal - what traditionally is called an adjuvant.

There ought to be a clever way to tag virus proteins with adjuvants that are based on human signalling systems and so entirely harmless and potentially highly efficient. The question is just how to do it. Making proteins to order is easy these days with molecular biology methods.

I would not even think of bothering with animals. They could give misleading results. I think the sticking point at the moment is setting up a reliable test of immunity - a serology/antibody test. As far as I can see there is none validated at present.

Yessica, TrixieStix, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, ukxmrv, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  11. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Professor Neil Ferguson, an epidemiologist from Imperial College London, was interviewed along with Professor Wessely: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000gdsw

Interestingly, the interviewer (Nick Robinson) mentions that SW had wanted to come to the studio to do the interview despite the fact that his wife has tested positive for Covid-19. The BBC told him not to and did the interview by phone.

SW claimed (at approx 1hr 20 min) that it was not necessary for him to self-isolate because he doesn’t currently have any symptoms.

Milo, Woolie, ukxmrv and 17 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

OK, I had trouble finding information on it. It looks like the sort of serological test that is badly needed to establish who has had the virus. It would also indicate the likely usefulness of a vaccine. But I presume it is no use as a test to see if someone is actively infected - at least in the early stage when they may be infectious. It takes about 20 days for IgG responses to peak. IgM responses are quicker but still about 10 days traditionally.

In other words it does not look like a quick alternative to see if you are infectious.

shak8, Michelle, TrixieStix and 7 others like this.
  13. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

If we needed a proof this guy has no understanding of medicine.

Hutan, Woolie, lycaena and 23 others like this.
  14. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I heard the the Simon Wessely INTERVIEW. Not his best. Nick Robinson first introduced him as psychologist, then suggested some thought his science wasn’t as real as the biological stuff, he then asked a data modeller if he respected and wanted Wessely type input (we all know how this real word irks wessely) . and then he was saying as posted above he’d isolate if he had Symptoms but there was no need for him to now, which might well be medical advice but he didn’t come across particularly good or responsible . I think that advice coming now is all family self isolate ?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Woolie, ukxmrv, dangermouse and 4 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Bath half marathon to go ahead despite coronavirus fears

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-51887950

16. Cheshire

We have municipal elections planned for tomorrow and next sunday in France (two round election).
    Schools are closed, we are told to work from home, avoid social contacts... but we should go voting, bars and restaurants are not closed.

As a result, people are stock pilling pastas and toilet paper but café terraces were full yesterday night in Paris and many other towns.
    Incoherence and selfishness...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  17. lunarainbows

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Hutan, Woolie, lycaena and 12 others like this.
  18. lunarainbows

19. Cheshire

Posts relating to the biology of coronavirus COVID-19 have been moved to this dedicated thread.

Please remember that this thread is about worldwide spread and control.

Hutan and Sarah94 like this.
  20. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder what "Doc Maillioux" would have to say about it. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Perrier and Barry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.