1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shared Microglial Mechanisms Underpinning Depression and Fatigue and Their Comorbidities - (2019) Filho, Macedo,Freitas de Lucena,Maes

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This version is not peer-reviewed

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/201902.0029/v1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct.../v1/download&usg=AOvVaw3-atyrhyiH7f_-_3RgcGNc

MEMarge, Inara, Trish and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lack of specificity of scientific findings is not a strength, it is a weakness.

MEMarge, rvallee and Sid like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any evidence that true depression exists for people with ME more than the rest of the population? I do not mean the frustration, sadness and grieving that is a rational response to our situation. That suicide is so common is not a sign of depression (where people cannot see the hope in the world) but is a choice to end a situation where there is little chance of it improving. (I am not playing down the suffering of depression, it is an awful illness, just saying it is different)

The link with ME was originally made because the depression questionnaires included sections on physical things. I remember one academic with ME who took out all the questions that indicated physical ill health and the number of people with ME who also had depression dropped to zero whereas if they included things like fatigue the number shot up to 100%

Has the evidence base improved since then?

5. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd have to dig up the source but I've read that the rate of depression is not greater in ME than in other chronic diseases.

6. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I forgot if it was a protein or what in the profile but I remember reading what was very low on depresiĆ³n was high in ME or viceversa. Protein or a neurotransmitter. But I remember thinking well there goes the theory you can have both.

Mithriel likes this.