1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Scientists hail autoimmune breakthrough" - the Guardian

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Tia, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having waded through the whole paper now, I don’t see any wrong ideas in it such as T cell driven autoimmunity. Regarding citations or lack thereof, that’s always driven by politics.

FMMM1, merylg and Sean like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, I agree. It is just that 95% of people in the field still seem to have a belief in mysterious auto reactive T cells driving the autoantibodies and that is what you are likely to find in their relevant references apart from ours of course. And talking of a 'more widespread correction of autoimmunity' in mysterious terms seems a bit coy when they could refer to our Nature Reviews Immunology article which spells out exactly how that ought to work - but in the sense that there is nothing more to be done!

FMMM1, ukxmrv, merylg and 2 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Be good for someone to highlight any BPS nonsense for lupus

merylg, rvallee and Jacob Richter like this.
  4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you had a chance to check out Fig 3? The patient with elevated anti-Ro antibody, it barely declined with treatment, and they still had quite elevated levels of fatigue after 3 months. Bad news for Sjogren’s?

MEMarge and merylg like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is as we found it - slow to fall if at all, although those with lower levels did get a drop.
    I am not sure this is interpretable at 3 months though. If pathogenic clones of B cells are destroyed there may be no long term replenishment of anti-Ro from cycling new B cell clones. The crucial thing is what happens from a year onwards, when any re-engagement of a cycle has had a chance to occur.

FMMM1, MEMarge, merylg and 7 others like this.
  6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you denying that mumbo and jumbo factors are contributory factors in all illness? Simon is not happy.
    Simon Says.jpeg

Sean, TigerLilea, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to say, there are very good chances that I adopt biopsychomumbojumbo from now on. It really rolls perfectly on the mind tongue. Sometimes words just align perfectly, even made-up ones. Although to be fair, all words are made-up.

Lilas and RedFox like this.