Royal College of Surgeons blog: Are surgeons missing the major differential diagnosis that is more common than multiple sclerosis and HIV combined?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was what I was worried about.

MEMarge, DokaGirl and Wonko like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now it has been mentioned, it is very powerful that when medical professional gets ME they realise it is completely different from what they thought.

We now have a large sample of people who can compare the experience from both sides. A GP who saw patients a certain way who is now a patient has a valuable insight into what the patient is trying to convey to the doctor.

The fact that we don't have any medical professional writing blogs which say "I got ME and I hadn't realised I was so deconditioned" means that it is the medical viewpoint which is mistaken.

Simbindi, Sean, andypants and 12 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@strategist, yes, "not wanting the treatment is a sign of not being of sound mind", is like as they say, someone denying they're an alcoholic - a sure sure they are an alcoholic.

@Mithriel, thank you, excellent point - we don't see any medical professionals with ME blogging about being deconditioned leading to their ME.

I am hopeful when I see good articles by physicians with ME, however, there have been many health professionals with ME over the decades. I would say most haven't written works about it, but those who have, have not been able to convince their colleagues that ME is not a delusion. I don't know if there will come a point where critical mass of these type of articles will tip the balance in favour of reason, and human decency, but I hope if it does happn it's sooner rather than later.

EzzieD, andypants, MEMarge and 5 others like this.