1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Davis: Grant award: Molecular and single-cell immunology in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Indigophoton, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ron Davis has been awarded several million dollars by the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to "uncover the immunological basis of ME" by examining T cell activity and related genetic factors, and by hunting for pathogens. The project start date is this month, and the end date is May 2023.
    https://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=9577948&icde=40034644

Edit: typo
    Edit2: updated funding amount

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Inara, Snow Leopard, Alvin and 51 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Good news - but it's going to take 5 years...

leokitten, FMMM1, Inara and 20 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

But it's exciting on a number of fronts: the NIH giving a good amount of money, the project is looking at something that seems to be important, and the project starts this month.

Inara, mango, lycaena and 23 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This is detail and probably irrelevant... I was reading the Project Terms at the bottom of the NIH Project Information - Description page. The list was validating. Until this...

It seems that this is another term for psychosomatic disorders.

It's one of those terms that can mean anything at all - from an unobjectionable 'stress makes the illness worse, perhaps because the stress causes lack of sleep or not eating well', through to something like 'conversion disorder'.

I know there are quite a number of seemingly random terms there in the list - 'tuberculosis' and 'play' for example. Perhaps having 'psychophysiological disorders' there says nothing about what the NIH believe now. It's interesting though to see the terms that do get a mention while 'myalgic encephalomyelitis' isn't mentioned.

Does anyone know how those Project Terms are identified?

5. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The entire funding is for 5 year, but couldn't we expect more than one paper out of this research...so that some information is published before the end of five years?

Inara, mango, lycaena and 12 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Judging from the description, this is the Mark Davis T cell receptor stuff.

Inara, JaimeS, lycaena and 13 others like this.
  7. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Finally, they have given him money. I wonder does he get all the money upfront or a set amount each year. It's not alot over 5 years but a start

8. Diwi9

Someone clarified to me that it is $775,509 each year for 5 years.

Inara, mango, JaimeS and 20 others like this.
  9. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are u saying .75 million per year??? Where is this info coming from, I don't see any announcements on their Facebook page. If it's .75 million per year that's brilliant

Skycloud, MEMarge, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  10. Diwi9

Yes, the grant shows $775,000 for FY 2018-2019, but the project end date is 2023. So it's expected to refund each year for five years.

11. Diwi9

That is what Cort is reporting on Health Rising.

alktipping, Joh, Melanie and 4 others like this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I noticed that between "Autoimmunity" and "Autoreactivity" they wedged in "Automobile Driving." :confused:

[Fantastic news BTW!]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The presence of nonsense terms suggests they are automatically generated with an imperfect algorithm.

mango, JaimeS, Zombie Lurker and 9 others like this.
  14. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really great news! And we couldn't have a better team working on this.

Like the first para of the summary too:

"PROJECT SUMMARY Myalgic encephalomyelitis, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), is a complex, debilitating disease that has baffled researchers for decades. Its inaccurate yet frequent dismissal as a psychosomatic condition and lack of recognition by many in the biomedical community have greatly hindered research; as a result, very little is known about its cause(s), and no biological diagnosis or approved treatments are available. Recent developments have more clearly defined this mysterious illness, and it is now clear that it afflicts up to 2.5 million in the United States and millions more worldwide."

And it would be so good if this research could also help GWS, lyme etc

Inara, Binkie4, mango and 13 others like this.
  15. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara, Forbin, Sly Saint and 16 others like this.
  17. Aroa

Aroa Established Member (Voting Rights)

How does the HLA locus fit into the metabolic trap hypothesis ?

I think Ron said at LiME 2017 that HLA sequence showed interesting results in severely ill patients

18. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is simply awesome news, it looks like a study that seeks to answer a lot of big questions and the money is coming from the NIH immediately , rather than us trying to slowly crowdfund for this as well as lots of other things as used to happen.

19. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is huge!

Stoked to see its about t-cells, i had some double positive expression of something on mine which some hospital found out a bit randomly when testing for other things. They didnt know what it meant

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think this shows that Chris Ponting's replication attempt on the earlier work by Mark Davis is even more timely now - should Ron find anything with this study, then we'll be able to have a higher confidence in it if the replication is successful.

Have we ever had a situation, at least in recent ME history, where a line of investigation is ongoing and replication efforts are taking place concurrently, in the way that we have here?

Inara, Chezboo, mango and 20 others like this.