1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue company Unum’s profiteering hand in the government’s work, health and disability green paper (2016) (ME mentioned)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://politicsandinsights.org/201...ments-work-health-and-disability-green-paper/

Somebody sent me and a few others this today, saying:

I haven't read it myself, thus far.

TiredSam, Barry, JohnTheJack and 15 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure I've seen this posted before, but maybe when it was hosted on a different website?

edit: it looks like actually it was the same site, but with a different address previously.

Always good to see different groups of people being informed of the problems around PACE and everything.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems strange that there hs never been any information as to how Peter Lilley and his department came to be in discussion with UnumProvident about this. It must have been as a result of lobbying and negotiations arising after the 1992 election. Perhaps the idea was to take Labour's election mantra and merely change the emphasis.

"We're ALL RIGHT" became "WE'RE all right".

EDIT for those in doubt as to what I am talking about, here are the ten seconds or so which led to the deep embedding, if that is not too unfortunate an image, of UNUM in the body politic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKXlvYMKQc

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    ukxmrv and DokaGirl like this.
  5. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow this is a good article. Very long but I think i absorbed the main points. I find the direction of travel devastating. State welfare and GP surgeries merging roles- it’s already happening. The job centre has a room upstairs at our surgery, for public convenience, you understand...

We can only hope for a change in political direction, though it feels like the ideology of individualism has been well lodged into people’s minds and will be hard to shift attitudes towards poor/disabled and other minority groups, even amongst the working class themselves.

6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

as I have always suspected the right wing of this country will not be happy till they can actually profit from the sick and disabled through the reintroduction of the workhouses .I wonder what wonderful names they will come up with arbiet macht frei mostly comes to mind .

feeb, Wonko and ProudActivist like this.
  7. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Huh. The UK is definitely different than the US.
    IMO, Right and Left don't really have fixed meanings, beyond clothing, hairstyle and preferred vehicle type. Even then, I've known Republicans (USA) who rode a bicycle to work, and the rock band KISS is actually rather conservative in private life, you wouldn't think that by looking at them. Anyways, our Progressive folks notably said that after age 75 we "aren't creative" and so really don't have any business hanging around after that. There are 75 years olds who can walk, shuffle and run rings around the current version of me in cognitive tasks and in actual running, so I wouldn't make the Contributing Comrade cutoff.

Having a sour and mean spirited personal disposition (or amorality and avarice) doesn't come with a political label. Such people will adopt whichever flavor provides better cover, or perhaps whatever fits their lifetstyle tastes. The more sophisticated will choose on a label and style that dissolves well in the pond they're in as cover for their actions in real life. e.g, the Brazilian 'Man Of God' who is a serial killer, rapist and thief. That's Brazil; change the location and such people will wear a different label, one that works in their time and place. The word 'psychology' somehow comes to mind.

alktipping likes this.