1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Response to Michael Sharpe’s claims of harassment

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Adam pwme, Mar 31, 2019.

1. JoanNI

JoanNI Established Member (Voting Rights)

@Adam pwme , I’m considering using this during our N.I. September conference, would I have your permission to do so please? Do I need permission for CS clip also? I’m lost on rules and regulations on sharing YouTube videos as there’s so much conflicting information when I try to find out!

andypants, JaneL, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  2. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure I’d be happy for you to use it. Im not 100% but shouldn’t think it’s a problem to show during a conference.

andypants, JaneL and Binkie4 like this.
  3. JoanNI

JoanNI Established Member (Voting Rights)

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would make it a strategy, say a fundraising spot with a few commercials, one of them being this one abbreviated but explaining the background as well. For the others ideas such as research needs money so please donate (to a provided 800 number or link), maybe 1 or 2 with specific research projects to be funded, maybe an awareness one as well.

5. Adam pwme

It's a tricky one, producing a TV quality video would likely need a 3rd party and would be expensive and the cost would need to be factored in. Personally I think the money maybe better spent on a PR consultant to come up with an overall strategy across multiple channels. It's such a complex issue with so many misconceptions it really needs a coordinated approach with a clear set of aims, messages and actions.

There are so many important issues

Lack of research funding
    History/Hijacking of ME by Psychiatry
    Harm
    Child protection issues
    Poor Research
    PACE
    PACE authors responses
    Myths of ME, tired all the time etc.

Someone with ME and experience in PR to would be ideal to give some direction. It would be good to get pwme with relevant skills, in a group to help out.

Also, I was thinking of using some of Brian Hughes excellent video, did you produce it? Could I use bits for a video at some point in the future?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Sly Saint, Snowdrop, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  6. Adam pwme

@JoanNI Id be happy to edit the video if you want anything specific, sadly I don’t think the quality would be good enough for TV though.

JaneL, Binkie4 and Trish like this.
  7. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Adam pwme

Personally I found your video great :thumbup:

Some extra feedback: I always wonder how things look through the eyes of a person uninformed about ME politics. So I nabbed just such a person to find out.

Most of your video went down well but there was confusion at the last bit, the "What about Michael Sharpe’s behaviour?" section. My test person assumed that Carol Monaghan must have actually said or done something "unbecoming" which made her and the following MPs comments incomprehensible to my test person. I had to explain that all Carol Monaghan had done was take some constituents' concerns to parliament.

So that point may need to be made clearer. I seem to vaguely recall some video or quote where Carol Monaghan, or maybe some other MP, says something to the effect that if taking constituents' concerns to parliament is "unbecoming" then so be it. That could be helpful if it can be found.

JaneL, rvallee, Binkie4 and 12 others like this.
  8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a big thing and something i also think about sometimes, when you want to reach people you have to make sure your putting things into their point of view since they won't have the knowledge you do.
    So very well done :)

And something we should always keep in mind.

Ravn, JaneL, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  9. Adam pwme

Thanks that makes sense. I know which clip youre referring too. Unfortunately I can't edit the video and keep the URL. I will have a think about uploading a new version. I was unsure of that whole section tbh and considered cutting it out along with his interview at the start as a more general video.

Ravn, JaneL, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  10. Adam pwme

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Ravn, JaneL, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What you have to keep in mind is the potential counter to this. MS and Co have significant resources, and I wonder if we might be heading into their home territory. Their BS propaganda messages probably fit far more readily into sub-minute slots and could come across as very convincing to the innocently uninformed. Not saying we should not do what is being proposed, but just also double check not playing into other sides hands.

Edit: Only limited access at moment so not been able to track this thread properly, so apologies if missing something here.

rogerblack, Ravn, JaneL and 2 others like this.