1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Protocol ReCOVer: A RCT testing the efficacy of CBT for preventing chronic post-infectious fatigue among patients diagnosed with COVID-19.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Grigor, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes, agree. I read your statement as suggesting trackers added additional bias to simple subjective records.

However, I think that a longer period of using a tracker would mean that any increase, caused by some optimistic bias on the part of the patient, would be unsustainable over say a 3 month period. I suspect it might be sustainable over 6 weeks or so. (I base that on my early cycles of crashing after six weeks of apparent “improvement”.)

Further, the magnitude of the improvement could be better measured. Subjective measures are easily skewed by interpretations advantageous to those wanting to prove their pet therapy. Trackers would better demonstrate the degree of improvement.

Hutan, Woolie, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Actigraphy needs to be long term, so this potential bias washes out.
    This.

You can tell how much of a threat to the BPS business model objective measures are by how ferociously the BPSers oppose them, and how ludicrous are their stated reasons.

Hutan, Ash, Woolie and 13 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is why long term follow up studies need to look for regression to the mean. Like they found in the PACE trial.

Ash, Woolie, hibiscuswahine and 6 others like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, medical politics and the defense of the indefensible.

Ash, Ariel, hibiscuswahine and 6 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think you make a good point about any recording by a patient taking part in a study that asks them to behave differently, such as keeping an activity or diet diary, or wearing an actimeter, will to some extent change their behaviour. So if someone would find it an imposition to wear a device and have to remember to take it off for showering and for recharging its battery does have an impact. Similarly having to write down daily or even hourly activity on paper or an app is an imposition, and uses energy. For me keeping an activity diary was a far more intrusive imposition than wearing a fitbit.

I certainly changed my behaviour when I started wearing a fitbit insead of a watch, but not because of the fact I was wearing it, since I was accustomed to a watch on the same wrist, but because looking at the step counts and heart rates helped me to pace better and crash less often. But I think the point is, if I were part of an ongoing study, that wouldn't matter at all, since the whole point is to get an accurate reflection of what I actually do and am able to sustain doing over months or years.

I would assume that anyone who didn't feel able to cope with wearing an actometer over a period of months, and probably filling in some sort of symptoms scoring on an app each day as well, would simply choose not to participate in a study that requires these.

Edit to add: I think if a study includes treatment, and if actimeters are being used as an outcome measure, then it would be important to get the participants to wear the actimeter and record symptoms for at least a few months before they start the treatment, both to acclimatise them to the recording process, and to get a fair measure of their initial activity level and symptoms, and the degree to which these fluctuate without treatment.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Hutan, Ash, Woolie and 8 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure most current actigraphs are waterproof and don't need to be removed for having a shower, going for a swim, etc. The less attention that needs to be paid to them by the wearer, the better.

At most they should only need to be removed once a week for charging.

Also would like to see both wrist and ankle versions being used, at least for the first round of such studies, to see if it adds anything useful.

It would be interesting to compare one group who get real time feedback from their actigraph on some measures such as heart rate and step count, with another group using the same actigraphs except without any real time feedback to the wearer (apart from indicating that the actigraph is charged and turned on).

Hutan, Ash, alex3619 and 4 others like this.
  7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could always give patients step counters without a screen. So they can't see their own steps. That would give a less biased sample, if that's your worry?

Hutan, Ash, alex3619 and 10 others like this.
  8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the question of keeping a diary of activity. I am sure that I have seen something from the early days, and I was quite surprised by it, that the purpose is not the information which it provides as to activity. It is the act of keeping the diary which alters behaviour and forms part of the therapy.

Hutan, Ariel, hibiscuswahine and 6 others like this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find such things 'extremely disruptive'.

Every erg of 'spare' capacity goes into them, as well as some core capacity (i.e diaries/logs etc. impact my ability to do the basics, by which I don't just mean things like hoovering/cleaning, acquiring food, or even washing (myself), I mean food/drinks, the consumption of.)

Everything becomes about the diary/log, virtually every minute - as these things normally involve acting/recording at set times I have to be aware, all of the time - or it doesn't happen.

This leaves me with insufficient cognitive capacity to do, or even notice, other things.

So, yeah, they do 'alter behaviour', and not in a good way.

10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i can't tell if the actimeter data are considered actual outcomes. Where do you see that this will not be measured at the very end?

FMMM1, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They listed it under 'Other study outcomes':

They say: "At T0 and T1, data on physical activity level and sleep are also gathered by using an actigraph and completing a sleep diary."

They also had this table on outcomes and when they are to be measured:

https://trialsjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13063-021-05569-y/tables/3

12. dave30th

Ah, thanks!

FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt and MEMarge like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do actigraphs accrue a time-based data log that can subsequently be analysed / graphed, as their name suggests?

FMMM1, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. dave30th

Interesting. I think other studies generally average over the seven days (I think it's usually that, not 14 days, in these studies) and do not break down the changes across the time period. Or maybe they do?

FMMM1 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is the goal, yes.

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Dutch CBT Trial Targets “Dysfunctional Beliefs About Fatigue” in Long Covid Patients

"So the intervention addresses all the mechanisms through which patients, per the investigators, are bringing this fatigue on themselves. Neat! However, it is important to note that the protocol presents no evidence that the fatigue experienced by Covid-19 patients has anything to do with “dysfunctional beliefs about fatigue,” “perceived low social support,” “fears and worries regarding COVID-19,” or the other itemized factors. These speculations are apparently based on the beliefs of the researchers. Since they favorably cite results from the discredited PACE trial as part of the evidence base, their judgement can be questioned."

https://www.virology.ws/2022/01/07/...beliefs-about-fatigue-in-long-covid-patients/

Hutan, Lilas, Mithriel and 13 others like this.
  17. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's rather misleading that the title states this is a controlled randomised trial.

Patients in the control group receive no intervention from the researchers but only the standard medical care they manage to gather themselves from their treating physicians, GP or other therapists. So the care, attention and contact time of CBT therapists isn't controlled for at all and could explain any improvements the trial might show, given that all listed primary and secondary outcomes measures are subjective measurements (actigraphy is mentioned but it is not clear if it will be used as an outcome measures or a mediation variable)

As @Arvo clarified, the website describes Fit after COVID (CBT) as the intervention while the other group is explicitly described as the control group. The website claims that they already know CBT is effective for fatigue, that they hope it will also work for patients with long COVID. Patients in the control group will receive the intervention after the trial ends.

Clearly this is a very biased way of setting up a trial and it is not "controlled" in the way this term is normally used. It is unclear how the trial could give us meaningful results.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Trish, Hutan, Arvo and 18 others like this.
  18. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Barry, Samuel and 14 others like this.
  19. dave30th

Exactly. it can't.

Hutan, MEMarge, Grigor and 9 others like this.
  20. dave30th

Right. it's listed as an outcome but doesn't seem to be one of the formal outcome measurements, especially because they are using it only at end-of-treatment, not at the follow-up point.

Hutan, MEMarge, Grigor and 8 others like this.