1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Reciprocal associations between daily need-based experiences, energy, and sleep in chronic fatigue syndrome, 2018, Campbell et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywalled at http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037/hea0000621

MEMarge, Barry, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this paper showed that we get frustrated on days when we do not feel well enough to do anything?

"Herein, we examined whether daily variation in the satisfaction and frustration of the basic psychological needs for autonomy, competence, and relatedness would contribute to daily variation in subjective energy and quality and quantity of sleep. "

That sounds as if they were trying to prove that satisfaction and frustration led to feeling worse but they found

"These reciprocal within-day associations remained significant after controlling for the previous day's level of each outcome"

so they say reciprocal when they only found what we would say was sickness causing frustration whereas they used contribute when trying to show their favourite thing of our illness being a physical response to emotional upset.

They don't believe their own data.

Wonko, Peter Trewhitt, inox and 7 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

when will they stop 'researching' the bleeding obvious(?):yawn:

JoanneS, Wonko, Lisa108 and 8 others like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And who keeps giving out money like halloween candy to do it. There are too many psych students/researchers. So let me offer up some worthy topics.

Study the psychology of war. Or of CEO's of fortune 500 Co's. Or the psychological effects of a world where politicians lie everyday.*

*Since I don't trust robust results from anything studied I'll be arsed to know why I suggested this.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sick people do less than healthy people and that impacts their lives, shocking news report from the Bloody Obvious at 11

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

14 days - really - what the hell does a 14 day snapshot tell you about a chronic illness

More toilet paper

JoanneS, andypants, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The findings seem rather predictable, but I fear that they might lauch an investigation to see if the emotional experience of need frustration causes CFS symptoms.

andypants likes this.