1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Randomized Trial of Ivabradine in Patients With Hyperadrenergic [POTS], 2021, Taub et al

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Ryan31337, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paywall, https://www.jacc.org/doi/full/10.1016/j.jacc.2020.12.029

sb4, mango, Milo and 9 others like this.
  2. Ryan31337

Pleased to see some higher quality evidence for use of Ivabradine in POTS.

Its been prescribed by the experts for years, I have been taking it since 2016 with good results.

I'm glad to see some acknowledgment of it lowering NE levels too - something that is rarely mentioned in the literature but has been very clear to me as a patient. Most descriptions of Ivabradine go the other way, suggesting its highly selective and only affects heart rate. The only references I ever found to it having an impact on stress hormones were some animal studies and one human study, where it was used in surgical procedures. It has a profound effect reducing the "wired but tired" sensations for me.

The editorial comment from Raj is interesting too:
    Higher Quality Evidence to Guide Our Management of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: A New Era?
    https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacc.2020.12.028

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    SNT Gatchaman, mango, Milo and 12 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting this @Ryan31337.

I haven't read the paper itself, but it does look like a nice study, and the editorial is indeed interesting.
    It would be great to get some trials done in people with ME/CFS with strong orthostatic intolerance symptoms.

Chris, Binkie4, mango and 3 others like this.
  4. Ryan31337

MEMarge, Chris, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.