1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Coronavirus & home sewn masks?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Keela Too, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a reminder if you wear specs, look for mask with nose wire so it fits snugly and they dont steam up.

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I find they still steam up even with wire at first I saw somewhere that rolled up facial tissue to put Between the mask and the face over the nose catches the moisture and you can replace it if needed.

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to say, I've ventured out 4 times now with my masks. It isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I hate anything up around my neck and face unless it's quite loose - polo necks, tightly wrapped scarves, hoods drawn tight etc.

I have a small supply of washable masks and a box of disposable ones. The disposable pleated ones are fine, but I have a small face so I have to fiddle with them.

I find I'm more likely to forget I'm wearing the shaped ones.

Before I get out of the car I out the mask on and get it right and then just keep it on rather than some people who seem to take em off & put em on as they go in and out of places. I know I'd forget.

4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

continually touching them isn't a good idea anyway, they are being unwise when they do that imho - unless your hands are scrupulously clean you could just be putting virus particles off your hands & onto the mask... ready to be inhaled, or just deposited onto your face from the mask, or even from your hands as you reposition it.
    Best to do as you do - put it on with clean hands then dont touch it again until you ready to remove it for washing/disposal, & then wash hands after removing

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, that's what I figure. I take every opportunity to use the sanitizer as well, just in case I forget & touch it.

Also, it's hard enough to walk "normally" & in a straight -ish line when I'm paying attention. I've noticed a few people fiddling about with their masks and not looking where they're going.

Sadly, I've also noticed disposable masks and gloves dropped on the ground and just left there.:(

6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which is why you're supposed to handle them by the elastics/ties only.

A friend told me this evening that there have been studies done which show that mask-wearing leads to increased (re)inhalation of carbon dioxide and possibly viral particles. Can anyone confirm this - or alternatively deny it?

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53108405
    this might help?

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Posts discussing whether mask wearing decreases severity of illness have been moved to this thread to keep the discussion together in one place.

9. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

N.Ireland now making masks mandatory. I’ve been sewing masks for the Big Community Sew, and they’ve been handed out to groups in need over the last weeks. I may need to sew some more now.

5EE96767-A205-4CBE-8888-BE66B1E9A684.jpeg
    Image from Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2020
    MEMarge, Roy S, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  10. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I posted a link to a scientific article/narrative review of filtration properties of cloth and cloth masks in another thread. It has some recommendations regarding different types of fabric:

Wits_End, Amw66 and Yessica like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

12. Wits_End

Just wondering whether anyone's tried wearing a mask with a nylon/polyester inner layer? Sounds as though it ought to get horribly hot and sweaty.

Yessica likes this.
  13. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm about to try for a second time (last time a few months ago) to make a mask. Sewing machine is out, material cut. I thought I would sacrifice a surgical mask and use the elastic for around the ears and the bendy bit at nose and put into the homemade mask. Wish me luck! I think I have the right pattern this time.

MEMarge, Hutan, Ebb Tide and 4 others like this.
  14. AliceLily

Finished! Lots of mistakes. Still, it's wearable. Excuse the dot marks on the camera lenses.

P1020295.JPG

The inside lining is meant to come further to the sides! There is room to slot a filter in between outside and inside linings.
    P1020296.JPG

MEMarge, Amw66, ladycatlover and 12 others like this.
  15. Wits_End

AliceLily likes this.
  16. AliceLily

I've been making my own masks and getter better at it! - 4 layers of fabric and a KN95 filter which I slot into the middle of the mask. I wouldn't wear a homemade mask without the filter.

17. Wits_End

Where do you get KN95 filters from? I've been using coffee filters :)

MEMarge and AliceLily like this.
  18. AliceLily

@Wits_End One of my neighbours is a tailor and is making masks. I bought a couple off him. He said I could come to him for the KN95 filters. Now that I am making masks I just go down and buy the filters from him.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    MEMarge likes this.
  19. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wits_End and AliceLily like this.
  20. Wits_End

I don't suppose anyone's produced biodegradable ones yet, have they? Bad enough seeing all these discarded single-use masks lying around - we don't want the same with filters. (NB: Terracycle have launched a mask recycling scheme for ones used in non-medical situations)