1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Coronavirus & home sewn masks?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Keela Too, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The tests weren't from an official source. The writer is a blogger from Singapore as far as I can glean and is not a mask expert. https://ximplifyit.blogspot.com/2020/02/genuine-or-fake-surgical-masks-3-quick-tests.html?m=1
    The tests seemed to me like a very basic start to reassure myself the masks weren't made of useless materials. Who knows about the quality though.

I also bought some KN95 masks and wish I hadn't wasted the money. They're most likely fake because they are unmarked. The website makes a big deal about them being TGA (Aus equivalent of FDA) "approved" but there is no such category. They have simply been listed on the site because it's legally required.

They also claim to be FDA approved which is not necessarily great either. I read that the FDA requires products to have been adequately tested by the manufacturer before listing. The FDA does not do any testing itself. This is the FDA certificate issued for the NK95 masks I bought. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence!
    [​IMG]
    If you can't read it, the main part says:
    upload_2020-7-13_12-10-8.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    MEMarge and mango like this.
  2. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sacrificed one of mine and cut it up so I could see if the filter would burn. They felt extremely thin to me too.

ladycatlover, Wits_End and MEMarge like this.
  3. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for clarifying :)

It's really really disgusting that so many companies export/sell fake and substandard PPE, and are being so dishonest about it :(:mad:

Having said that, I wouldn't think the fake "KN95" masks are completely useless to the wearer; wouldn't they still offer a certain amount of protection from droplet transmission at least? Even if they don't protect from airborne transmission, I mean. And they would still help protect others from the wearer's germs, like fabric masks and simple face coverings do? It's obviously not good enough, but hopefully better than nothing?

As far as I understand KN95/FFP2 don't offer proper protection against viruses anyway, only N95/FFP3 do.

I would love to see someone perform a test to check if the fake KN95 masks are more effective as is, or cut up and used as a disposable filter inside a home sewn fabric mask.

(My KN95 masks are marked KN95, CE etc, but I'm still having doubts...)

ladycatlover, oldtimer and JemPD like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We are leaving our N95 masks to dry out & decontaminate naturally - ie leaving them in an open box in the garden shed for 14 days before wearing again. - Since the longest i have read of active virus being found on a surface was 9 days... I assume it is safe to re-wear after that time.

5. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sly Saint, FMMM1, Amw66 and 11 others like this.
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know, but I've read recommendations that cloth masks should be washed on several different websites.

Here's a quote from a recent article on the NPR (National Public Radio) website that recommends washing daily (which I take to mean every day that the mask is used):
    Link = https://www.npr.org/2020/07/09/889431742/what-you-need-to-know-about-protective-face-masks

Even ignoring the issue of coronavirus I would want to remove any oils as well as other dust/dirt. I don't want to my face to break out after contact with a dirty mask.

So I've been washing our cotton masks each time we wear them (which is rarely).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    ladycatlover, obeat, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  7. mango

Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1283043553531371521

ETA: To clarify, I read this Twitter thread as ironic and found it funny because it's so absurd. The absurdity is even more obvious of you have a look at the whole thread, not just the first tweet.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think she was being ironic.

MEMarge, FMMM1, TrixieStix and 3 others like this.
  10. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66, Sean and Michelle like this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really hope she was being ironic because the number of things i have seen complaining about the side effects of masks make you despair.

One comment said that instead of wearing a mask everyone should be eating well and exercising to boost their immune system then they won't get infected.

Amw66 and ladycatlover like this.
  12. mango

I'd say definitely ironic :) Have a look at the whole thread, not just the first tweet, if you're in doubt about that :)

Mithriel and Trish like this.
  13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great video @Keela Too .
    I made the same mask , but due to lack of materials I made a small pocket for the nose piece on the inner lining ( my nose piece was a couple of bits of florist wire encased in electrical tape and I don't know how well that would fare at 60 degrees in the wash).

I also did not have much elastic: we found sports/ dock martin laces are a good alternative - they don't hurt your ears if you have sensitive ones as they go round your head . You thread them up from the bottom of one side to make a large loop.

My daughter had a few DM patterned laces which is a nice contrast.

14. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which? (Consumer organisation in UK) has an article on making masks, and some suggestions about what kind are suitable and where to source them if you can't make your own (obviously a limited list, but could be useful to start with).

I think it may be available for non subscribers, but can't be sure. Plus it's UK, so it's possible those of you elsewhere may not be able to access it. I found it interesting and suspect will find it useful once we get to Wales. We're taking my sewing machine! Though whether I have time to use it or not is a different matter! :rofl:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/fac...ks-where-to-buy-them-and-how-to-make-your-own

Michelle, Wits_End and Trish like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

ladycatlover, Michelle and ahimsa like this.
  16. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, she did a nice job indeed. I tend to like to add a little channel over the nose where I put in a wire grocery tie, and this means I can always press it closer to the nose.

I am also wearing a visor now over two masks. I wish there were videos around about how the covid aerosols travel in that scenario: mask and visor.

17. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What kind of visor are you wearing? Is it the same as a face shield?

I've started wearing face shields to grocery stores, in addition to my mask. The only disadvantage I've found is that it's sometimes hard for people to hear me with both the mask and the shield in place. The other day I was at the fish counter at a busy grocery store, and I asked for a trout fillet. The fish guy showed me the crab. I repeated that I wanted trout, and he took me to the scallops. Finally, he understood me when I spelled it out. Thank god! I was beginning to think I'd have to mime it. That said, it was loud in the store, and the fish people stand well back from the customers.

I do get some odd looks because face shields are not yet common in Austin in non-medical settings. My sister said that in Seattle, she sees face shields fairly frequently, many of them worn by Asians.

ladycatlover, Michelle and Perrier like this.
  18. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A friend shipped me a couple; his students made them on 3d computers; it looks just like the sort worn by nurses. I really like it. But I do not know really how much aerosol it keeps out. I live in Canada;you don't see too many on the street, but no one bothers me.

ladycatlover and Michelle like this.
  19. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd really like to see a study of how much protection a face shield adds when worn with a mask, as opposed to wearing a mask by itself. Maybe studies haven't been done on this because face shields aren't yet commonly worn in non-medical settings. But common sense tells me that an additional barrier would add at least some added protection.

ladycatlover, Sean, Perrier and 2 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I had a hairdresser who cuts hair in your home yesterday and she was masked and had a plastic shield too.